Options

2007 Rinker 280 EC

The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
Can some one please explain the battery switches as you enter the cockpit from the swim platform. The rear most switch has 'OFF', 'ON', 'BOTH' the forward one is labeled generator 'OFF', 'ON'. We have a 5kW generator. There are 2 batteries installed and which battery does what?  Thank you.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a generator so I can't explain the second switch. The first switch though sounds the same as mine on my 260 EC. According to Rinker, off means both batteries are isolated, no power connected to mains. On means BOTH batteries are connected but the crank only runs the engine, while the house battery only runs the accessories and lights. The both settings means you have bridged the two batteries together and both are running the engine and accessories. You should normally keep the switch at on. Only use both under emergencies like when the crank engine can't start the engine. Never change the switch setting while the engine is running. Be cautious with power on a boat, you can damage a lot in just one wrong move.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
  • Options
    Thank you for clarifying that Mark and the article BB. Does anyone know about the generator switch?

• Options

I don't know what's going on the front battery is going bad, new one on order, cruise to the fuel dock, fuel up and no start. Ended up having the starter jumped to start the engine. Any ideas as this is getting frustrating.

• Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

Ok. I will give this one a shot. You have 2 batteries. One should be a deep cycle battery that runs everything that is battery powered while you are not connected to shore power. Lights, Refrigerator, Bilge Pumps, etc...Basically all your power while you are away from the dock. The other battery is for starting only. It is not a deep cycle battery but a starting battery. It's sole purpose in life is to start your engine and generator. That's all it does. You can run your lights, refrigerator, bilge pump etc...off your starter battery but it will not last very long. Not designed to do that. So either your starting battery is bad or you are trying to start off the wrong battery. How were the lights when the boat would not start? They should have been strong.

Your battery switch toward the back should be set to "ON". This allows each battery to do what it was designed to do. One just starts the generator and engine. The other runs all the other stuff like your lights. Not sure what to tell you about the 2nd switch. Are you sure it is a battery switch?

Thanks.

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet you have a bad battery, get it load tested. In general, think about replacing them every three years. Deka makes great marine batteries. Watch what you buy relative to what your charger can handle; using a gel type battery on the wrong charger will kill it.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses I will keep you posted getting it looked at tomorrow.

• Options
    Ok heres the problem. There is a big yellow fuse on the starboard side of the engine that was blown. I will try to give more details over the weekend.

• Options

OK. On top of the engine starboard side is a fuse black fuse box. The most starboard side fuse is yellow and 20 amps. This is to supply battery voltage directly to the starter. If the starter solenoid becomes dirty inside the contacts may cause a short to ground this in turn blows the fuse. I guess this is a common problem, I now learnt from the previous owner that this fuse blew last year, so I now have 2 spares on board. I have no intention of replacing the starter solenoid at this moment in time but if it becomes a frequent problem I will. I have also replaced the group 24 deep cycle battery with a group 29 deep cycle. Hope this helps.

• Options

The boat blew 2 of the big yellow fuses this weekend trying to start the engine. Does anyone know how long it takes to change the starter motor?