2000 232 Captiva Horsepower

jimmichiganjimmichigan Member Posts: 9
Hello,

I currently own a 1998 Festiva with a 5.7L V8. 92bbl, (non Vortec heads)  I believe this engine makes 250 Horsepower.  I am currently looking at a 2000 232 Captiva with a 5.7L Carb engine (mercruiser).  I can't seem to find the horsepower or any performance specs for this boat such as top speed.  The individual who I've been corresponding with is selling the boat for his dad and knows very little about it.      I'm assuming the 2000 232 has Vortec heads.  not sure if the carb is a 2bbl or a 4bbl.  The boat looks great, I'm worried it might be under-powered. Any help with the horsepower or any other specs/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forum!!  Someone on here might have the same or close model boat to help..otherwise a call to Rinker might be in order.  Randy is the guy to talk to at Rinker, or possible Alswaggs on the forum here, you can send a note from the forum here too.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Robyw1Robyw1 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    It will be 260HP unless it is a MAG. It will be identified as a 350 MAG and will not say 5.7 anywhere. 350 MAGs are 300HP
  • mheitman23mheitman23 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    I purchased a 2001 captiva 232 cc last year..it has the 5.7 efi which I believe is 270hp.  It has been a great boat so far and isn't underpowered by any means and will top out around 50
  • jimmichiganjimmichigan Member Posts: 9
    thanks all for the feedback.  here is the best photo of the engine i can get,  I suspect robyw1 is probably correct.  It's does not appear to be a MAG.  The owners son says it's a carb, but I could tell he was not sure.  If anyone recognizes the markings on the engine and can tell for sure I would be greatful.  Thanks again.

Looks like a Carb. Take a pic of those 3 serial numbers in that red label atop of the cover. That will tell you everything.
    Thanks Rob.  'll call the owners son and see if I can get that information.  If it's a carb, it it a 2bbl or 4 bbl.  if it's 260hp, i would suspect 2bbl.  Would you know if these engines hat Vortec heads?  If it's not Vortec and it is 2bbl, there exists an opportunity to upgrade the engine with Vortec heads and a 4 bbl.  I appriaiate your input.
    That is not the MAG engine, it would be labled as such and the cover is different too.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the center valve cover bolts indicate it has vortec heads, but that can't be confirmed unless you can see the intake manifold and count bolts and see angles.. :-)

I really appreciate all the help.  Assuming Vortec heads,  does anyone know if that package in 2000 was a 2bbl or 4bbl?  Also if Vortec heads, would the HP be 260 or better?
    edited March 2014
    out on a limb here... I think the offering was 235hp for 2bbl, 250hp for 4bbl, and 260hp for MPI/EFI.... I think the performance version (magnum) was 280HP and 300HP (carb'd or EFI).

apparently, comments have to be approved if you're a trouble maker like me... :-)  here is plain text of a link.. c&p it in your browser for all the information you can stand about your prospective floater.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser24.html#/0
    Post edited by 212rowboat on
    Thanks all again.

I found out the engine is a 4bbl,  I believe it has vortec heads because of the center mount valve covers.  In the manual drewactual attached, it appears that would be 250HP.  I would think with that set up it should approach 300HP.  Still digging.  again thank you for the responses.
    i just found out chevy did make heads with center mount valve covers that were not vortec.
    I think, let me say again that I think... The non-vortec heads that were with the center mount rocker covers were of the early 4.3 variety. I believe the heads on the V8 SBCs with center mount covers were Vortec. I could be wrong though.
    They did.. which is why you gotta see the number of bolts and the angles on those bolts for the intake manifold.. they are most likely vortec heads, though, with the center valve cover gaskets..

Merc did move to the vortec line in the late nineties, though.. maybe '98-'99?

We can't be for certain w/o seeing those bolts..
    Back in the mid to late 90s there was a 5.7 EFI but it was only a TB EFI and rated at 260 HP as well. It was not port injected (MPI) and not SmartCraft compatible. There is a big difference between EFI and MPI. (The later being more desirable.)
    Let me be very honest with you, if you are trying to squeeze 300 HP out of these LX 5.7s (be it EFI or CARB) you are taking a chance with your rotating assembly mainly the crank. These NON-MAG engines are not going to put up with too many rides over 4800 RPM before you spin a bearing or worse. If you are looking to get 300 or more horses you really need the MAG motor with the steel crank.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My '98 232 has a 5.7L in it and it is 250hp with a 2bbl merc carb on it. I thought that the 5.7LX was the 4bbl version or even the fuel injection version of the same engine.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    You can see the ignition module in his pic... Appears to be a thunderbolt.. I'm thinking the question is whether it's a 2bbl or a 4bbl carb at this point...
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My '98 has the Thunderbolt V ignition. If it is a 5.7L, I would guess 2bbl.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Even if its not... My personal opinion of that, is an engine with a marine ground cam and a single plane intake manifold (if the 4 is single plane too, and that I'm 99% sure of) doesn't get near the benefits of an engine with decent overlap and dual plane intake manifold for feeding north of 5500rpm.. the velocity of induction increases more rapidly with the smaller openings which actually allows better bottom and mid range for the torque curve.. north of 5500rpm the velocity of the bigger flies matches the velocity the smaller ones have much lower, and obviously increase volume, too.. hence, top end is greatly increased over the smaller carb..

These engines are rev limited at 5200 rpm, and are likely to fly apart if ran over 4800rpm consistently... So.. the advantage of four barrels isn't as pronounced as marketers would want you to believe with these marine rigs... A matter of fact, higher ratio rockers for that engine would likely produce **** similar results, and could be done in an hour or so..

I think I'd be happier with the 2bbl... Seriously.. its likely a healthier engine compared to a 4bbl of similar age and use.
    True a good dual plane with say a Holley carb would probably be the best performance up to 6000 RPM. But remember we might be spinning Alpha drives here too and again, there is your limiting factor. Any cam that would produce peak HP over 6500 RPM your getting into too much overlap and you may be getting iwater reversion here. In my opinion with these engines 4800 RPM is the absolute maximum you spin a cast crankshaft for any extended duration before the rod bearings begin to spin inside of the rod journals. Remember that nothing about these engines are designed for high performance. You can try to squeeze 300 HP out of them if you want but you better have a fire extinguisher and a SeaTow membership.

I'm all about ponies, and hair floppin around speed... but there is a cost to that.

this is unsolicited, I know.. sorry for the interruption.... it's a used boat.. I wouldn't want a high performance used boat, because it was likely used as such... when you own power, it's inevitable.  :-D

The 5.7 sbc is a solid engine that will last a long time.. the thunderbolt, unless it's been tampered with, limits the engine speed to 5200rpm.. if it's a stock prop, it likely won't break near that limit, and likely closer to the much safer and dang near as close in power output 4800rpm.. a MPI/EFI engine is mucho better for longevity than a carb'd engine, as it trims and times according to environment- the carb, if well maintained, isn't a deal breaker... it will suffice.  A 4bbl carb, as I said above, is a lot of smoke and mirrors in this application, but more to the point- you stand a pretty good chance of spinning that engine lean out of the hole and under WOT with a 4bbl, unless you up the jets- in which case you could wash it.. both are tough on an engine, and why MPI/computer controlled engines are superior... a carb simply can't monitor demand from second to second, and it's tough on an engine.. a two barrel carb is less likely to be capable of washing or leaning, so long as the carb is healthy...

I certainly wouldn't concern myself about the difference in rated output between a 2bbl and a 4bbl... like I said, the real difference is north of the rev limiter anyway.. If you really like the boat, and after a sea trial the thing could stand what you determine is minor tweaking for performance, the place I would attack it is at the leverage point, or the prop, more specifically..   

I had a 92 Wellcraft 186 Eclipse with a 4.3LX. It had a 4bbl carburetor on it and I could never understand why. Seemed too much.
    To better address the original question my 232 has a 5.0 MPI rated at 260HP. With an Alpha. My top speed is about 47 at best with the cheap Aluminum Alpha 4 prop on it (20p) I have purchased a mercury Rev-4 prop (17p) and I will try it out this summer and report back. I would consider my boat to be underpowered for its size, however I installed trim tabs. They made a world of difference in helping it plane out during water sport activity. I can cruise comfortably at 35 but I'm not going to win any races. The boat is very good on fuel too at least compared to my old 454 Scarab.
    All the input is outstanding.

Robyw1,  I suspect this engine is in the 250 - 270 HP range.  What year is your 232?  would you expect this boat being capable of mid 40's?  
    Ultimately your speed will be dictated by: fuel load, people and things weight, prop selection (assuming selected properly).  You can easily add 1000# to the dry weight with fuel, people and stuff.  The last top end speed limit is your wallet tolerance as you'll be burning a lot of fuel.  :D

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I would say that if the engine was healthy that it could do high 40s without a problem. I say that because even if the HP is close to the 260 that mine has the 5.7 should have a little more torque than the 5.0
    Thank you all.  I looked at the boat today.  It did not have Vortec heads.  I purchased it contigent on a sea trail Monday.  I would hope the boat will do in the 40's and a simple Vortec/intake manifold/quadra jet upgrade will make it a nice package.  Thanks all for your input.  Any more comments or information on this boat would be great.