Options

Spring boat launch - maybe in May..late May :D

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
In theory, the push-it-to-the-limit boaters would be launching around April 1st.  Mostly the fishermen and a few diehards too with cruisers.  With temps still in the low teens at night here, I'm thinking we are a bit away from boating here...let alone the ice on the lakes.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's unfortunate... Even here, though, its 41* right this second.. usually the pool is swimable by now.. not soakable, but swimable.. usually, boats are in line launching on weekend mornings, and scooping on eves... I've not seen a single pleasure boat out so far.. it was 70* one day, and 45* the next... 72* yesterday and high of 44* today...

The pool may hit 70* before May..it might.. the boats getting splashed no matter dang what, though, before the end of this month..

I simply couldn't live in your climate, Mr. Diamond.. it would kill me.
  • Options
    Just learn to live with it. Snow sports fans are loving it. :D I'm behind on my boat tasks so it buys me some time. Maybe. lol. Come June/July/August it will be perfect though. Ice should be gone by then. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of all the things I have to worry about whilst on plane and reading the waves... Swimmers.. that's real and present.. sand bars.. they shift and are sneaky.. but if I ever saw ice I would rejoice, as it means beer is somewhere nearby.. ice enough to bust fiberglass? No sir.. that's the last thing I'll ever encounter.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    BD, I know what you mean. The ice here has melted, but we are still getting temps below freezing at night here. Heck, at my house we got about 9 inches of snow yesterday. This will be the latest in 14 years of boating that I get my boat out. I'm having shoulder surgery next Thursday, so I will now wait until after that to uncover. That will be the first weekend in April. Uggghh! (I guess I shouldn't complain, but I like to be the first out and going) I guess on the good side, the boat is staying nice and clean under the cover. & every weekend the weather has been pretty nice, so I go down and do some more cleaning under the covers & have my own little party with the music going.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Before this latest snow storm, I was 80% done sanding for bottom paint.  Obviously, that job is on hold.  Seriously -- if I wanted snow in mid-March, I'd move back to Syracuse!

The pressure is on.  At the marina I use for winter storage, the lift operator goes to Florida on vacation for most of April.  If I don't splash by 29 March, I'm stranded on land for 3 weeks.  I need some weather warm enough to finish that bottom paint.  C'mon Spring!  
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    We are opening our boat April 25th

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    The weather down here has been unusually cold and wet for this time of year. That translates to Gulf temps for SW Fl still in the mid 60's right up to the end of March. I got 2 inches of rain just last night alone with 50mph winds during a time of year when we rarely get rain for months. I've certainly had to pick my days this season even in the tropics.

I know...I won't get any sympathy so here's a couple pics (below) I hadn't posted from last weekend when we hit it right. Taken in the Manatee river and out on the west side of Egmont key on the gulf beaches  between St Pete and Anna Maria. It was like this for one or two days and hasn't been this nice since. Timing is everything and spring is almost here for you guys. :D
    Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Killin time on the Gulf side of Egmont key at the mouth of Tampa Bay.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    These snowbirds ain't nobodys fool. Packed in like cord wood getting warm in the Marathon Fl mooring field in the Fl Keys on 2/15/14. Photo opp from a 1939 Waco bi-plane on a perfect day

The Admiral and crew heading out on Half Fast for 75mph run down the river. I assured her that this won't be possible in the Rinker w/o some serious boat unit$$ :D

Thanks for the help with the pics Boomer. I obviously have some steps to refine. Anyway, Spring is right around the corner. Mike
  • Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    I just got my splash date today in the mail, April 7th. Still over a foot of ice in the basin. 
    I think we'll be wearing winter gear for awhile, oh well won't have to worry about beer getting warm.
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    Our club is still well frozen over.  Our launch date is set for April 27 and 28th.  Still have a few things to do before then, and hoping on some spring weather that still has not arrived. (Lake Ontario, Canada)
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Weather folks say we will get a late spring this year... every time this has happened we got a hot and wild summer later on...keep your fingers crossed.
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Well, we don't get official dates.  Our contract starts May 15th, but the owner lets us go in whenever.  That translates to a hopeful splash 2nd or 3rd week of April.  In NH, that splash might result in a thump as we hit ice chunks, but brrrrrrrrr, it's worth it.  I just did my work schedule and boating calendar for the summer.  From May 1st to closing, and allowing sleep after I work (hehe) I am right at 99 days on the boat.  Now, you know I will make that 100, but I am thinking about just how many days could I realistically get this year.  90 days was last year, and it was AWESOME!!  Every time I posted on Facebook something, the biggest kick was getting a reply that stated "Seriously, Don't you ever work?"  That is a sign of a great summer!!
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Bottom painting, compounding, polishing, waxing in April. Going in the beginning of May & moving the boat to another marina for vessel view 7 install. Should have it back in time for the Rhode Island airshow in mid May.
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I took care of my bottom paint and some gel coat repairs last fall. Received my new camper top canvas from TJ yesterday. Can't wait to try it out next weekend....

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    A nice pic from 30,000 ft of the ice still on Lake Michigan

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Judging by the snow squalls right now, it's looking like late June :((

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May 2 is my launch date.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Micheal, I am on the west end. The currents here mean there isn't as much ice. So, hopefully it will all melt by then.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Not to boast, but by tomorrow I will have launched 77 feet of Rinker springtime goodness!  

I'm splashing the 370 today, and the 342 (under contract, finally!) goes to buyer sea trial tomorrow. Wish me luck!  The buyers are really great - very nice people, and excited to be joining the Rinker family. We'll probably see them on this forum sooner or later.

Of course, as I'm typing this just before 6AM, it's still 21 degrees outside, and I'll be shoveling snow from the bow before launch.  
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I'm heading to the lake tomorrow. Will probably be out on the water Saturday. Suppose to be 60's. Finally it is here!!!

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    We were planning to go today and stay until Saturday. Woke up this morning to a Wind Advisory for Lake Cumberland with gusts to 40 mph. The water is not on to the slips so we would have needed to take the boat over to the winter water at the gas pier. Not going to happen in that wind so we cancelled. Maybe next weekend but long range forecast says 50's for Friday and Saturday. Might go anyway.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    I'll be in next weekend! Had my shoulder surgery yesterday and all went well as I am typing today. Can't wait till next weekend!

• Options
    LakeOzLakeOz Member Posts: 8
    First launch of the season tomorrow - not sure I'll sleep much tonight!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I should be down at the boat this weekend bottom painting, installing my thruster, new zincs etc.  But instead i'm fixing my rental property which was left in disarray last week.  What i thought was a nice family really shoud have had child services called on them.  I can't believe how well they hid damage and all their pets during walkthroughs.  Anyway i'll be launching in May sometime this year.  I cannot wait to be sitting on my boat, returned from a nice day on the water, listening to Buffet with a boat drink in my hand...
  • Options
    Dream_Inn -  I heard of a new-age physical therapy rehab program called "wax on, wax off" treatment. Supposed to be really good for shoulders.
  • Options
    Endorsed by Mr. Miyagi!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    STORM WATCH: New nor'easter targets Atlantic Canadawaaaaaahhhhhh!    Make it stop!
  • Options
    Good one Larea! I am glad I got a good waxing in before winter cause it's gonna be a while before I grab the buffer.