Anchor?

Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while and have learned a lot. I bought a 2004 Captiva BR 350 Mag with Bravo 3 last fall and the previous owner did not have an anchor. I am trying to figure out what anchor to buy that will fit in the anchor locker in the bow. I have measured what width fluke anchor will fit in the anchor holder and I am struggling to find one that will fit. Any suggestions? I will mostly use the boat in lakes with a mud, clay, or sand bottom. I will also buy a secondary anchor so any recommendations on either would be great.

Robs_232

Best Answers

Answers

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How big is your boat? Why don't you add an anchor holder to the bow?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    It is a Captiva 232. I have looked online at the Danforth Hi Tensile model 94019 . The width of the anchor storage, where the rod sits in the cradle, is narrower than the B measurements for this size boat. I am not really wanting to cut off both ends to get it to fit in the cradle in the bow storage locker. The model 94019 has measurements of 21 1/2", 16 1/2", and 11 3/4" respectively. Just don't want to purchase this and not have it hold and also have to cut the rod to get it to fit the locker. Thanks for any help provided.
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen some instances where people will grind/cut off an inch or two from the stock so that it fits the cradle/locker better. I might have to do that exactly that, because the shanks rub just a tiny bit on the sides of the anchor locker "wall"

You can also look at Fortress anchors which can be dissassembled for easy storage, but are as good as anything else is sand/mud.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    Thanks for your input jtkz13.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob, you can grind-off 3/4" or maybe 1" but any more and you risk severly diminishing the anchor's stability. Lose the stability and it can rotate  - the arms are not to hold it in the locker but to stop it from rotating or "rolling" and thereby breaking loose as in breaking bad - get it?. MT.

Michael T,

That was my concern when looking at the measurements and what would fit in the locker. I hate to cut off the ends of the stability rod and have an anchor that rolls and not set. I am curious what anchor Rinker sold as standard equipment when the anchor was bought with the boat new or was this dealer discretion. Was it a slip ring anchor or was it a traditional fluke anchor.

If it was anything like my 276 there was no anchor standard from Rinker, it was a dealer item. Mine came with the Seachoice 13E, which fit the anchor locker great, but wouldnt ever set and hold even in calm conditions.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob go online at West Marine and look at their anchor section. It has EVERYTHING and plenty of good advice. You don't have to buy there but they sure have lots of information. There are also pretty big Danforth style anchors that are collapsible and store in a bag - maybe that will work? Good luck! MT

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try the one I mentioned above. If it doesn't work like I think it should I can always use it as my back anchor when it's swim/Miller time. Rob

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear great things about the rocna anchor.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Thanks, I'll check it out before getting an anchor. Love the feedback and this forum.
  • RODNEYRODNEY Member Posts: 2
    I have had great success with the Box Anchor, I was a little apprehensive at first but this thing works great.  it folds in half anf slides very nicely in the anchor compartment. 
    I've heard the box anchor works well too, but I'd say its not for an area where people are walking/swimming as it has sharps pointing straight up at all times.