Options

can the water system be primed somehow?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
I asked this before and had some suggestions but can't find the thread or in search....when I picked up the 270, the water system worked...I ran it dry and put more water in but can't seem to get it "primed". I have opened all the spigots and let it run but no water a following. I read some info it is "self priming" up to 10 ft. which made me wonder if it could be primed. It's hard to imagine something failed the same time it ran out of water...it may have run for some time empty but not sure...any ideas of where to start? Should I be able to pull a hose off and feel suction with my finger? Don't really care for the snap together fittings with seals that could dry out and leak....

Comments

• Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Rasbury I can't answer your question, but thanks for asking all of your other questions! I have the same boat and year and color as you do. Just put it in the lake tonight. Lots to figure out switches and things. Question does your boat lean to the right? My mechanic said once I fill the water holding tank the boat will even out. It I do not want to add all 33 gallons of water to boat because of weight. Thanks for the help
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Turn the one of your faucets on, twist open the cap for the water filter a bit.....works for me every time.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++ on opening the water filter a bit.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    where is the water filter? I did not see one...I have a line that goes to a splitter (other side is a hose that is coiled up and goes no where) and then to the pump. There is a rather odd gaget at the pump with a clear plastic face, is that a filter? If so, how does it come apart? I could not find much on line except where to buy it but no service info....and lauren, my boat does not list, is your waste tank full? that is on the right side...
  • Options
    the inlet side is where this round/pancake looking thing is...it also pivots...I thought the fitting between the pump and this gaget was loose so I took it apart but it's just the way it's made..is that a strainer/filter? The similar product info I found show a inline type filter should be installed...I don't see such!
  • Options
    here is a picture of mine....is that round thing the line goes into a filter? Clean it? Crack it to prime??
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    That is your galley pump. I have the same set up and have to crack the output line there on the pump to get it to prime whenever I run the tank empty. 
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod

Ras, the line that is coiled up and goes nowhere....for us northern guys, that is used to add pink stuff to the water system in the colder months. ;)

The round thing, yes, it's a strainer/filter.  yes, you can trying cracking it a bit to try to prime, even filling it with water may work.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    guess I will try both....Bruce suggests cracking the outlet side of the pump and everyone else is saying the filter...I will try both but what comes apart on the filter side of it, the clear piece on the face? I don't want to break the darn thing....thx dream
  • Options
    well...ready to go out there but it occurs to me, the filter,screen is ahead of the pump, what good does it do to crack that air supply? What would be the difference of pulling off the inlet hose to the pump....hmmmmm
  • Options
    well tried to crack the filter...took it off and cleaned the screen, was not to bad but had some funk. Put it back together and left open a bit, nothing. Pulled the outlet side off, nothing. Turned it off, while the outlet side was off and sucked water up through the pump, put back on the outlet side and, water! I let it run until it was full pressure, ran around turning things off I thought were already and it turned off...would not turn back on, got to hot I think. It cooled and was running again so we will see!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Good job Ras!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I think the pump will have to be replaced....it will run for a bit but I don't think the auto shut off when it reaches pressure works and thinking it runs to it over heats and then shuts down....will re start after it cools off. I will check and make sure nothing is leaking but will get it working one way or the other!
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    When you clean the strainer make sure the O ring is seated or it will suck air and will not prime

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    well, messed around, checked the fittings for leaking......pump will run until it over heats and then shuts down. On the plus side, all the faucets works, just the pump. The particular model seems to be out of production, anyone have a good suitable replacement to suggest that will "plug right in" to the plumbing that is there? Guess I know what my fathers day present is this year!
  • Options
    there is no o ring on my filter either......since it does run water, I'd assume this is not part of the issue and must be a different set up for the filter...