Options

Replacing stereo remotes in the 342

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
It looks like I'm getting past the "gotta have" list and moving into the "wanna have" list.  Most of the important stuff has been ironed out.  Whew!

So now I want to replace the stereo remotes.  The original Kenwood remotes are not compatible with the new Kenwood stereo.  I have peeked into the space for the stereo and have not been able to spot the wires to the old remotes.  Has anybody replaced the stereo remotes in their 342?  And if so, do you recall the path the wires took?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    The stereo and remotes appear to use DIN plugs.  The old ones appeared to use wires.

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    U have same boat as me I'm looking to do many of the same upgrades u did I can't seem to figure out how to fade the speakers to cockpit area only I have 4 kids it would be nice when Younger ones are sleeping at night older ones want to be playing video games  or doing whatever down below  while I'm hanging out up top with some friends 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    I do have the manual and it says nothing about fade it just seems strange to me
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
     I also have to change the remote at the helm 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Fade depends on the specific stereo.  But "somewhere" your stereo has an adjustment for front and back.  

• Options
    jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    May be time to "Upgrade"  When I switched to a fusion head unit, I ended up setting up NEMA2000, which allowed me to control the head unit from my Garmin.  Then I just added a wired remote for the swim platform area.  Works very well.
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    You will need to replace the remote wiring. The old stuff doesn't work with the new head units. Mostly DIN cables now. I have done a lot of sound system work on my boats and I have found that it's best to just get the old wiring out and start new. Rinker put's too small gauge wiring and doubles up channels on amps. It works but not efficiently. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    Where/how is the wiring run from the head units to the remote on the dash?
  • Options
    Ah, the wires from the helm to the stereo on the 342 are well hidden.  I found a new path and ran the new remote that way.

• Options
    that was my concern.  I just ordered a new head unit today from crutchfield, and ended up going with one that has a wireless remote bc I didn't want to deal with figuring how how to do that.
  • Options
    EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I'm also looking to replace my head unit since it's old school and can't do BluTooth or any of the streaming formats.  My 2005 262 Captiva has the oval shaped CPS Products remotes, one at the helm and one on the transom.  I was really hoping to not have to pull new wire all the way around the boat to wire new remotes, but I may have to.  Has anyone used the new wireless remotes?  Do they work worth a darn?
  • Options
    I will be able to tell you next week, weather permitting....
  • Options
    I left the old remotes in place.  The new Kenwood remote I have uses a din cable.  It's on the left side of the helm above the keys.  I was going to put one in the back to replace the old remote above the transom shower but it hasn't been high enough on the list.  The old one on the dash will come out soon and be replaced with a powered USB outlet for phone charging.  Putting one of those down below as well.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of USB outlets, I replaced my 120v outlets with ones that have built in USB chargers. I replaced the outlet below the TV and the one in the aft cabin with them. When I am on shorepower, they work great.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    that is a great idea!  may have to add one of those as well.

• Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

Those usb outlets are a great idea - another one for the list.

I have a Clarion wireless remote and it works great my new head unit.  It is the simple one - see link below.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43932_Clarion-MF1.html

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    I have that remote for when we are swimming. It works great and it is waterproof and it floats. We also have two other wired remotes. They are very functional with a full read out. You are really missing out if you do not just wire in the new remotes. They have a lot of functionality as well as IR repeaters so you can use your head unit remote just about anywhere. I understand your reluctance but you will not be sorry if you just do it the right way. The old kenwood remotes only used one wire anyway. What's in place is useless by today's standards. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    I have that remote for when we are swimming. It works great and it is waterproof and it floats. We also have two other wired remotes. They are very functional with a full read out. You are really missing out if you do not just wire in the new remotes. They have a lot of functionality as well as IR repeaters so you can use your head unit remote just about anywhere. I understand your reluctance but you will not be sorry if you just do it the right way. The old kenwood remotes only used one wire anyway. What's in place is useless by today's standards. 

So this remote will work outside of the boat even though the receiver is down in the cabin, no problem?.....What Clarion receiver and wired remotes are compatible with this wireless floating remote. I need to wired remotes.
  • Options
    This remote works on radio frequencies. It needs no line of site. It has a receiver that is wired into the head unit in series with your wired remotes. I have a wired remote at the helm and the swim platform. I used a Y DIN cable at the swim platform remote and plugged in the receiver. It works great. I can control the stereo while swimming. We have a CMD8. Here is a link to all the models and compatibility: 

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products-personal/marine/

I recomend getting the part numbers together of what you need and doing a google product search to get the best pricing. I have found that http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ usualy has a very good price and very good service. 

Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    I definitely have to change my radio does ur boat have the amp pre installed I'm thinking I should be able to keep the kenwood amp its powering 4 of my 8 speakers and a sub I figuring the radio is powering the other 4 speakers I have not had a chance to pull it out yet,that RF remote is the way to go sounds awesome
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    My boat did come with several amps installed from the factory. You can certainly use them with a new head unit. All you have to do is plug the RCA's into the new unit coming from the old amps. I replaced my amps with class D and ran bigger gauge wiring. Class D amps are smaller, more powerful, and use less power. I put in 3 all together. Two 5 channel amps, one for four speakers inside and one for five speakers outside and one four channel amp bridged for two wake board speakers attached to the hard top facing down to the water. I put a switch in for each that controls the remote wire so I can turn any zone on or off without messing with the fade or balance. That's the right way to do it anyway. Goofing around with the fade and balance is amature hour. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    On a 2006 boat will I have to replace the wired remotes if I get a new stereo?  Currently I have clarion.  Is kenwood or clarion favorable?  I know Kenwood has more options and is a bit cheaper.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you will have to replace the remotes and the wires.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @ explore, did you go with Kenwood or Clarion for your new system?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I used a  Clarion head unit and remotes, Alpine amps, and JL Audio speakers. 

Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Is there anyway to get a slightly updated replacement head without replacing whole unit?  All I really want is an aux jack.  I'll do the big upgrade later when this climbs to the top of my long list.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I stayed with Kenwood when I did my upgrade.  The first unit I got had all the goodies (bluetooth, HD Radio, 2 USBs, etc) but did NOT have a remote control port.  I had to get a "Marine" model to use the remote I wanted.  The original Kenwood remotes did nothing for me.  I have yet to remove them (lazy, busy) but have plans for what to put in their place.  

• Options
    Yes. You can buy a Female Head phone jack that plugs into the AUX RCA jacks on the back of your present head unit. Here is the part:
     http://www.clarion.com/xe/en/products-personal/marine/CCAAUX/

Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    I stayed with Kenwood when I did my upgrade.  The first unit I got had all the goodies (bluetooth, HD Radio, 2 USBs, etc) but did NOT have a remote control port.  I had to get a "Marine" model to use the remote I wanted.  The original Kenwood remotes did nothing for me.  I have yet to remove them (lazy, busy) but have plans for what to put in their place.  
    I think when I do my big upgrade I will go with Kenwood as I have really enjoyed their products on my previous boat.  I also think they have a better appearance.   Why not replace the remotes with new remotes?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    @explore7425 excuse my ignorance with stereo equipment.  What is the opposing end of the RCA cable?  I want a male connection for playing music from phone.  Will this work just the same?

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YEBK66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431539357&sr=8-1&keywords=AUX+RCA

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270