Options

bad starter or worse?

FlyingBlind310FlyingBlind310 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
Question...went down to the boat last weekend and tried to turn over the port engine but nothing happened (no sounds/clicks). Starboard engine fired up no problem and my battery voltage was good. Also double checked my throttles-neutral. Hit the switch again....no sound and then held it again for an extra second and it started to crank & fired up. This happened again with the same results after 4 hours at anchor. Boat ran well with no other noticeable issues.

Could this be a wire connection issue battery/starter/ignition?
Could this be a hydrolock symptom?
Maybe bad starter?

Just want to get some opinions before I call the marina to investigate or attempt on my own. 

Much appreciated...-JJ

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    slave solenoid atop the engine most likely on it's death throws.. $15 fix or so..

edited to add: you can either by-pass the solenoid, or swap it for the one on the other side to confirm, but those are classic symtoms.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll 2nd Drews comment. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be the problem I have on 270
    what is it and do I have on the 350 merc?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras: yes you have it too.  Right behind the throttlebody there is a red button (circuit breaker) there is a $20 solonoid mounted to the same bracket...the same solonoid used on the Merc drive trim pump (2 per pump) if I am not mistaken?  probably a 30 min job including disconnecting your batteries: easy!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm it's the same solenoids on the trim pump too. My starter solenoid went out last year as well as the trim solenoids. Easy to put a jumper across to confirm the issue. Hope that's all there is to it. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited June 2014
      sounds like a a good thing to carry a spare onboard  

Sierra # 5817 or 5816

Post edited by picturethis on
    I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Had the same issue, slave solenoid fixed it like stated above.
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Rebuild starter. Problem solved.
  • Options
    FlyingBlind310FlyingBlind310 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    thanks for the input/help....i will hopefully get down there this weekend and investigate. 

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2