Options

fridge

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Rinker Express Cruisers Forum

I had some comments of what to check on another thread but can't seem to find it or much info on checking my frige...It has power to it but apparently not flowing through it. It has been way down on the list but happy to say the list is getting pretty short! The light does not come on which I guess is a good thing. Someone made mention there is a fuse on the back side of the frige? I pulled it out prior to reading that but did not see anything. I may not use it much but would like to have that option if it's a simple fix. Walk me through checking it? I have a volt meter...

I had
Post edited by Dream_Inn on

Comments

• Options

I have only the galley frige, 270. Thanks Yan
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

Ras I'm having the same issue lol. Does anyone know if the galley fridge in a 2005 270 fiesta runs on shore power only?  Or do you need to keep battery switch on while shore power is on?

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

On my 300 express 2007 both Fridg run on ac or dc.

• Options

Thanks Yan....getting ready for vacation and not sure if I will get that far as I have a list of stuff ahead of that for next week but will try...would really like to be able to use it if I want to!

• Options

And I assume it should work off the battery or on shore power...have verified I do have power at the shore outlet as I pulled it out and checked for that....does not seem to be going any further however...

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

There is a stab fuse on back of the fridge and also an inline located behind the battery switch on my 99 270 long story how I found the one behind the switch.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options

wow, behind the battery switch by the transom? Now I'm in trouble...at least I know I have power to it, just need to figure out why it does not go through it!

• Options
    Yan, I pulled the frige out and verified I do have power at the outlet. There is no light coming on in the frige as I recall. I don't see a plug on the compressor to pull as you describe, I took a couple of pictures of the back of the unit, maybe someone can help me along on checking this out? Sure would like to use it...
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    See the danfoss module on the back(black)? That's what blew out on mine, it's the brains for the fridge.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    how do I check it? If it is that black box, what is the replacement cost?
  • Options
    and if I do not have the 12V at the compressor, that confirms the control module is bad? Are there any fuses for that to check?  thanks guys!
  • Options
    and no V= bad control box?
  • Options
    There is a breaker that controls the range and fridge, so if no volts to comp
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have voltage on the feeder it means you have power which is for some reason not energizing the fridge, it could be the control module. 

If you have no voltage then you are not getting power to the fridge, and have to figure out why.

By the way is your fridge a 120V/12V fridge.  I assume you tried running 120V power on it - mine is via a breaker in the panel labelled Fridge. When I turn it on, the control module automatically decides to switch from 12V to 120V.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    working by memory here but there is a plug in the back of where the  frige sits and it is plugged in just like a household appliance.Then a seperate house looking type wire(120V I assume) that goes to the burner. As I recall, I turned the breaker on and off to determine I did have voltage at the plug in for the frige. I have only tried to turn it on while plugged in at the house and flipping the breaker that says range. I have no other breakers that say frige, i will post that picture tonight if it ain't pouring (man, we have had some rain this year), I think there was an acc. breaker..I guess I need to turn everything on and make sure it's not wired some other way. But, at the end of the day, somewhere along the line I did confirm I had power at the plug and it would not turn on the fridge.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And one last thing, is the thermostat in the fridge turned off, or is it on a number 1 or greater?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    crapole...here is what I did but I did not check the right wires...I took a picture of the panel but has not shown in my email yet to post. I checked again the power coming into the wht. box which is the power supply and have 12 volts. I did not check  the black box with the right wires as I pulled the top two which are the wires from the power supply and was surprised to see there was no power on these wires, from the power supply...might that be the problem? Any fuse on that I'm not seeing? I looked at the schematic on the power supply and that looks all good and verified the power in....not much sense and checking the other two wires Yan asked me to check if there is not power coming in to the unit? Oh, here is the panel...and also, my volt meter on the panel does not show any voltage when I have bats turned on, tried with key on, it does when on shore power or on the genny...should it not show me the battery status when a battery is on?
  • Options
    10 4, what about the meter on the panel, should it not show a bat status?
  • Options
    Rinker- I am looking at the wire diagram for installation....the blue/brown wires to the control module are the thermostat and the red and black at the top are the power input. Looks to me like the power supply/ converter takes which ever juice coming in and only sends out a 12V supply to the control module. I don't see two different inputs (12v/120V) to the module. What is odd (and I don't follow electrical stuff to well), it shows nothing for any output to the compressor, will have to look at the unit again...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    The meter will not show your battery status, just AC voltage (but, if you don't have AC, your charger will not be on).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    here is where I ended up looking at the unit this am- and I thought I already posted this but guess I didn't: I verified I had power going to the frige checking the terminals at the power supply. On the control unit, the blue/brown wires (top two) only go back to the power supply and when I pulled those off and checked, had no power. The middle two wires on the control box go to the van and then the other two on the bottom go to the thermostat inside the fridge. There must be a wire coming off the thermostat that goes to the compressor but I can't see it. I went back to the power supply and found there are two fuses inside of that and they are listed as DC imput fuses, one is 10 and the other 5 amp. One is right where the power comes into the unit and that fuse is blown. So, have the wife tracking down the blade type fues (very small ones) to replace and then see if I have power out to the control box but guessing at this point, that's going to fix my problem, will update! Won't be able to test it until tomorrow evening but have my fingers crossed!
  • Options
    I would have to pull the compressor off-there are no visable wires going to the compressor and I have identified all the wires off the control box, none of them go to the compressor. Must be underneath and come off some other wire like the thermostat.
  • Options
    10-4, I guess as long as you have two batteries and mindful of your switch, can't get into to much trouble(famous last words!) Thanks for all the support Rinker....
  • Options
    well, put the fuses in, the fan runs, so I'm now getting power to the control module but the compressor does not kick on...I assume it should kick on similar to a household fridge. So, need to dig a little deeper into the compressor/control module and the thermostat as well.......any one have some quick easies to check those items? I swear, per the diagram , it does not show any wires going to the compressor....odd. Must come off the thermostat wire under the compressor...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Are you sure the thermostat switch is not on 'off'? 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    yep black, have the thermo on on, the fan for the compressor is running....will track down the wires from the compressor tonight...anyone know what to check for a test on the thermostat and compressor? I will search the site as well...
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    RY, that is a great link for troubleshooting the compressor!  That needs to be added to the library!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I tried to sign up on it, very odd site! It does not ask you to set up a passwork, but you have to have a password to login....will look at it again but found this trouble shooting manual from Danfoss which should help me and others: http://dometicenviro.com/marinerefrigerator/PDFs/L-2120.pdf
  • Options
    yep, that's a good one as well....did you look at the one I posted? It has all kinds of tests for the module using the built in diagnostics...pretty cool. Guess I won't make it this weekend as I've run out of time, will pack an extra cooler!