Options

does anyone know why they shut down the other rinker boat owners site?

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod

Well the typing issue seems corrected

Hey you are correct! That is great! For a bit I was thinking it was just me.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Not just you...we're still tweaking some behind-the-scenes coding. If it happens again, try emptying the cache on your browser. 
  • Options
    MarcdohcMarcdohc Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Damm, I just got used to the other site!
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Yes, RBO was a great site; unfortunately and sadly,  unforeseen circumstances beyond anyone's control, especially the founder's (Russ) made it impossible to continue. 

Thanks to Rinker for hosting this site. 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    We're working on simplifying this site including the slow response typing so it's not your computer or server it's this site causing the problem

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBO was great. Lots of knowledge lost. Hopefully most will migrate here and rebuild the knowledge box!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    I miss RBO :(

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz

• Options
    The biggest problem we had at RBO besides being Hacked numerous times was

SPAM

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine."  ~Robert C. Gallagher

After just a few weeks it seems fairly clear that this will be the future go-to site and it's getting some overdue personal attention by the host. We can be glad we didn't loose everything and it seems that the archive will be rebuilt by those who care about sharing with the group. I just wish a mass email could have been sent to guide the old guard and the infrequent member to inform them about the next port-of-call. FB was certainly a great idea.

Many of the early members might remember the glory days of years gone by but all I've seen at RBO for the last year was spam, hackers, crashes, endless frustrating hours spent by the mods to maintain the old site and an inevitable loss of nearly everything. Really it's a relief to consistently be able to just log-on in time for the season.

So I say thanks to the old mods for riding out a frustrating decline while bringing what they could. And to the new host, I'm impressed with the openness to accolades AND criticism coupled with a refreshing enthusiasm. I just hope we all prosper at the new site and wouldn't it be reassuring to have the data and archives backed up in a neutral corner to encourage the contributors that their effort won't be placed in jeopardy someday. (just sayin')

It looks like it's time to rebuild the data for the next group of owners and friends that we have yet to meet. I may not have the knowledge base of some contributors but we get around and I'm happy to help where I can.

Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Great post Mike and I'll keep up my Googling to rebuild some of the archive that I've lost

• Options
    Well put Tiki! could not have said it better! :)>-

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

The typing is definitely much better. There is still a bit of a lag, but much more manageable. I am using IE8.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Hey guys...we FINALLY isolated the code causing slow typing. Only problem is, we won't have it fixed until Thurs. Thanks for your patience!
  • Options
    Steve, that is great news!  Have to say it is annoying!

• Options
    It is very irritating!
  • Options
    Great to have you here, Mike...hang in there with us while we get a few issues worked out. With you guys not having to deal with the "S" word or IT issues, hopefully you will find it easier as time goes on.
  • Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I finally found you guys, I was LeMeez on the old RBO. I'm just trying to figure this site out, quite different to most forums. Glad we have this.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Welcome LeMeez (or old dog)!  Glad you found us over here!

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Glad You found Us

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    This is great a lot of the old gang is starting to show up.... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Hey Capt. Steve.  Thanks for the work you are doing on this site to make it easier to use.  It is shaping up nicely.  I wanted to ask about the attaching pictures.  I have no problem doing it, but was wondering about server space.  If you turn on the features for using the image button, it allows a link to our hosted images, which frees up your server space.  I have found that in the past, places that host users pictures will usually have issues after a while.  This also allows for us to just link to an image, for example, from a Mercruiser site, or other parts site, to show what were are talking about, without having to save it to our computer first than attach it.  Just something to think about.
    Again thanks, 
    -Gary

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Excellent point, Gary...meeting with the developers again this week, and I will bring that up. Nice to have you here!
  • Options
    themaniam1themaniam1 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Wow, glad I found where everyone went.  I was more of a lurker than a poster at RBO but I did like everyone on the old site.  Now this will hopefully become the sight for Rinker Owners.  Look forward to seeing this site grow.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    themaniam1 glad you found us. Welcome to the RBOC....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BoatinPaulBoatinPaul Member Posts: 2
    I loved the old site. I'm going to love this one. Thanks to everyone who works so hard to provide all this valuable information. 
  • Options
    hophop Member Posts: 4

Howdy, howdy,

It's been a while since revisiting and I was shocked about the new site.  Anyway, hello everyone.

Hop, EC320

• Options
    Glad you found your way here Hop Welcome Aboard

• Options
    Welcome Hop!  Glad you made it!