Options

Bow thruster

2»

Comments

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Pep do you really need to add a Thruster?

I know that this would be a great option to have because I go stern first into my dock and the water current is always making me loss my bow. Not always, but a lot of times. I did check the jet thruster system before. Cannot be installed because of the way the hoses go through.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get you pep. I don't have to contend with currents, but if I get an easterly wind, when I back in and turn the wind pushes on my bow to the point where the boat won't pivot, and it pushes me diagonally into my boat slip - not fun. A bow thruster would correct that in a heart beat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,589 mod
    In theory, none of our boats "need" a thruster.  In practice, sometimes a boat with a bow thruster can safely go out on days when wind/current would keep other boats stuck in their slips.  Porsche used to have a commercial -- the days your car spends in the garage, you can't get those back!

Here's another use that might not be obvious:  adjusting position when another boat is tying up to you.  Sometimes, the wind will spin the anchored boat just as the second boat approaches.  A little last-second nudge with the bow thruster can take the drama out of that situation.
  • Options
    I understand that we really don't need one, but, what an option to have!!!!!!!!

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to find a theory that works flawlessly.  The bow thruster would be a good reality tool.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,589 mod
    In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice, they aren't.

I love the bow thruster!  The combination of a thruster with twin I/O means I can put the boat almost anywhere, in almost any conditions.  It's safer, easier and less stressful for me and my crew.  Pepmyster, go for it - you won't regret it.
  • Options
    I just waiting for the final verdict

• Options
    Since sending the pictures, not a peep for either installer. Guess the both realized the real situation. Damm.

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
     I think your boat is 27 Rinker. There was bow thrusters  installed on Rinker 27 with good result, maybe you are not talking to the right peoples . For your installers did you talked to them since sending the pictures?
  • Options
    Even myself, after looking at them, I understand what Randy was saying. I believe the new style cabin in the 280ec compared with the 270 is that really extended the living space  inside, meaning, the place for the bow thruster is so far forward, it cannot be installed properly.

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Did you have a look at sideshift system. http://sideshift.com
  • Options
    Yes, even the jet thrusters. I do not wish to put an external thruster system on my boat............

• Options
    hanzelvhhanzelvh Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Don't know if you already succeeded in geting a bowtruster? I know it is not easy to do but we had also one in our 280EC. The BT was placed under the floor in the cabin by removing the carpet and the floor carefully. The position of the BT was from the tunnel in frontward direction. This means thet the tunnel was placed relatively far backwards from the bow, but with our 30 kg Vetus we had lots of help to mooring backwards in our slip. Power was coming from the house batteries by wire.
    Again, installation not very easy but very useful. Total costs around € 4000,--
    previous 280EC with VP D4-260, now Bavaria 33HT with twin VP 4,3
  • Options
    So you placed it under the dinner table in the cabin?

• Options
    hanzelvhhanzelvh Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    That's correct. Other thing to check that the table can go down. When the table foot was removed, the top of the BT motor was just after this hole. When you will use other brand which is smaller, preferably use a 50 kg thruster as my 30 kg was OK under normal conditions but with more wind from aside ........
    previous 280EC with VP D4-260, now Bavaria 33HT with twin VP 4,3