Options

About to buy a 2014 260 EC. Volvo 270 DP.. is it enough, or Merc. 350MAG with Bravo3 (or even more)?

Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I am looking at (and might purchase tomorrow) a new 2014 Rinker 260 EC.  There are two to choose from, one (black sides) with a 270HP Volvo DP, or one White sides w/blue stripe, with a Merc. 350Mag B3.  Both are "base" boats, no A/C, no generator, standard head.  The 350mag boat comes with a bow pad and I think cockpit filler cusions.

I feel like the Volvo 270 is not enough for full water/fuel with 4 or 5 people on board.  I would like some opinions PLEASE as I don't want these end of year "boat show specials" to be left behind (if they are a good deal) and will cruise around 30mph.

Also, what would you all consider to be a "good deal" for those boats?

Thanks so much!  I was looking at used boats, a bit larger in size, but seeing and sitting on a new 260 has me thinking of buying new.  LOVE THAT NEW BOAT SMELL!!! ;)

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

Post edited by Mike_G on

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were buying that boat I'd put a 377 Mag in it. May I explain my opinion? Last year we bought a new Rinker EC 310 with twin 350 Mags. It was a GREAT boat, we loved it. We decided we liked cruising. The boat was not the problem - it was me. I'm 6'6" and needed more headroom. This year we bought a new Rinker EC 360. A fabulous boat! Some dealers option the 360s with 350 mags. To me that's insane. The 350 mags were just right for the 310. I know several people who have 350s and 360 with 377 mags. Those boats take forever to get on plane. For our 2014 Ec 360 we purchased 502 Mags. BEST move I ever made - boating wise. The boat - FULLY loaded -  jumps onto plane. This summer we got BETTER gas mileage with our EC 360 with twin 502 mags that we got last summer with our EC 310 with twin 350 Mags. A smaller engine working harder will burn more gas, faster that a bigger engine ( more torque) loafing along. I also feel that your EC 260 would have MUCH better eventual resale with the bigger engine. P.S. I know a guy who bought a 2014 Rinker EC 290 with a 502 Mag in it - against several friends' advice who said it was unnecessarily big. He LOVES it - it planes fast and uses less fuel than a smaller engine. As well, if he has a few friends on board it doesn't take half the lake to get it on plane AND he doesn't have to tell everyone to stand up by the windshield to get it on plane (embarassing - right?). IMO stuff the bgiggest engine you can in that baby and you'll NEVER be sorry! Owner of 7 Rinkers. five of them new for 22 years now. MT
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I would love to put a 377, or really a Volvo V8-380 in it!  I have a feeling though, that the price would be out of my range due to the deals they have on these two boats now.  The boat show deals are what is making this easily affordable for me, and I'd like to keep it that way if I can.

That being said, an underpowered boat would make me mad every time I drove it, so no matter how cheap, it would be a bad deal to me.  Maybe I'll bring a few people with me when I go for a test ride (have like 5 people on board).

Anybody here own a 260 with these power options?  -=Mike G.

Post edited by Mike_G on

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    I know my dealer and those around me have been bringing in boats with bigger engines. People who buy cruisers often take along their children and/or friends. There is nothing more frustrating/embarassing than having to ask everyone to huddle around the windshield while an underpowered (for your use) boat struggles to get on plane. I prefer Mercruisers to Volvo but for certain applications and IMO your intended purchase of a Rinker EC 260 would be the textbook perfect example of using the new Volvo V8-380. I bet you could find one at a boat show or see what your dealer can do. New boat sales are down, a lot in some areas, I bet you could find a dealer who had a sharp pencil. MT
  • Options
    qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I have a 02 250FV which is basically the previous model of the 260EC. It has a "dry" weight of 6400 pounds. I have the 350mag, bravo 3 and I'm happy with it overall. I had four adults and six teenagers on board for a cruise one night and although it took stuffing 5 in the cabin up front and about twice as long as normal, the boat came up on plane. I honestly was expecting a slow off plane cruise with that many. But once up on plane everyone came topside and we had a nice cruise at about 27mph enjoying the good life! lol
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • Options
    qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I also forgot to add that one of my trim tab actuators was bad. So that was with no trim tab help.
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Do not get anything but the 6.2 bravo  3 the boat is ver heavy and is almost 29 feet long.  If you add the radar arch you are adding more weight.  I ave the 6.2 bravo 3 with genny, ac fold down seat  and it takes awile to get it on plane.  If it were a plain 260 do not go below 300 hp or you will not be pleased  especially if it has a radar arch IMHO 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2011 260EC. I think it works great with the 350. I wouldn't get anything less though. When we have a full load (10 on board) we need that power, and anything less would really struggle. We cruise around 28 mph and my top speed is around 38 mph. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I am VP guy myself.  However parts for mercruiser are less expensive.
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Get the larger engine....u will end up saving gas.  With my 280EC I need 4200 RPM's and cruise around 24 mph.   Larger engine less RPM' and will save you gas. Ask for a test drive and see for yourself. 

• Options
    Seguir is 100%. About two weeks ago I met a guy in Trenton with a Rinker 360 with 377s. Most days he needed 4600 rpm to plane decently with a full load and was getting .42 mpg. With my 502s I can hold plane at 3200 rpm and run with a very "free: feeling plane at 3400 rpm betting between .98 and 1.0 mpg. If you get a really good engine to hull pairing you almost match the rpms to mph. At 3400 rpm I usually ger 32mph. I have even gotten 34 mph at 3400 rpm when the humidity and temp were lower and there was a light rippple on the water's surface. I have NEVER heard of anyone being disappointed with taking a bigger engine option. Usually the bigger engine will save gas, sometimes a LOT of gas - as in my case. But the biggest thing is to have the boat accelerate and hold plane properly. Of course, I hate the sound of a struggling engine and am sure that they wear-out a lot faster. MT
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    RY, Dream ALREADY knows! BTW I could hardly believe my eyes when I read your post! You have put so much into your boat - and yet I see it is for sale. Seriously, I get it - you are changing gears - and I'm happy for you. Someone will get a great boat and you'll be in Tiki's garage driving him nuts with your Robalo sport fishing trailerable boat with twin 300s on it! Steve, best of luck to you on the sale of your boat and the potential move to Florida. I hope it all works out as you and your family envision it. :-) MT
  • Options
    .....and with those diesels there's the Bahamas, the British Virgin Islands, St. Croix, Buck Island - Oh Yeah, I can picture that easily! MT
  • Options

OK guys.. Looks like I will be becoming a Rinker owner (officially) soon!  I filled out the paperwork today at the boat show.  Ended up going with a boat they didn't have at the show.. an all white with Navy stripe 260EC with the 350MAG Merc. B3 combo.  I am SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!!!!!  I haven't even seen the boat yet!  lol  I'm going to ask him if I can come and see it before they put it in the water.  I am kinda picky, so I want to go over it with a "fine tooth comb" before it gets wet.

I think I will be good with this engine as I never plan to have more than 5 or maybe 6 once or twice on the boat. No genny or anything so less weight in the rear.  I know it won't be "speedy" necessarily, but I had a Sunsation a few years back and got my speed fix.  I just want to relax, listen to some tunes, take a swim, have a sandwich and maybe a brew or two when time allows (gotta sober up before starting that engine).

Travis (the sales guy, awesome guy BTW!) is going to email me some more paperwork tomorrow so we can get that done.  I'm not sure, but I hope I can get the boat by next Saturday for the nice weather coming up.  The season is almost over, but it would be sweet to be able to go out a few times before putting it up for the winter.  I'll take a post some pics when I get a chance to see it.  It doesn't have the radar arch, but I think it will still look pretty nice (I hope).  I just couldn't justify the ~$6500 to add it, plus I like the idea of a solid camper/bimini top vs the zippers at the arch (might leak over time?).

Anyway... YAY!!!  WOOT!!! Thanks so much everyone, and I hope to meet some other Rinker owners on Lake St. Clair in the future!

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options

Hey, also... any recommendations for a break-in period?  This will be my first new boat, so I want to make sure it is broken in correctly so it runs tip-top for a "long" time.

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Good luck with your new float. Snap some pic's and post.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    The guys at hideaway are real good. Here's a quick test of a 260EC. It had a Volvo, but I'll bet the numbers are very close to the 350 mag.
    www.boatingmag.com/boats/rinker-260-ec

You'll cruise around 25-30mph and 3500-4000rpm. As long as you are realistic about the performance you'll beh appy. I've had a full tank and 6 adults on board with no issues getting on plane. If anything it rode really nice, so I didnt mind. :)

I get about 3-3.5mpg, and while the 276 weighs a bit less than the 260, you'll get decent mileage. I havent ever really felt like I was missing anything not having the big block. Abd like you said $10k upgrade is a bit of a wallet crusher.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    And just follow the Merc manual for break-in, its pretty detailed.

The only options I wish I had ponied up for are windlass and bluetooth radio.

Here's another test with the 350 Mag

http://www.boatingworld.com/Archive/Rinker-260-Express-Cruiser

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    jollyrodgersjollyrodgers Member Posts: 12
    Sure you want new? We're selling our 2010 260 and she's like new for a lot less! We've loved and babied her but we're moving to a day boat. Has the merc 350 which has been great!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Congrats Mike. I have the EXACT same boat, but with the radar arch and AC. 

As Joe states, the merc manual is pretty detailed about breaking. It'll tell you to vary your rpm, don't stay at one rpm for more than 10 min. You should also not go above I think 80% of wide open throttle. First 5 hours are the most critical. Check your fluids regularly. Break in is officially over after 20 hours, then I believe they recommend short spurts to wide open throttle to help the rings take their final seating (if they haven't already). 

At 50 hours you will have to pull the boat and change the oil, and check a few things as per the manual, like drive alignment. Do everything to the full 9 and make sure you keep service records for warranty purposes. 

After that I generally run it at 4000 rpm, as I don't believe it's good to go tough on these engines for long periods of time. Continue to monitor your fluids as that is a telltale of a problem developing. 

Enjoy her. This will define your summers. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Do not spend any more time than absolutely necessary (aviod long slow speed/no wake zones) at idle speeds for the first 20 hours. For that first 20 hours, you should get the boat up on plane and once there vary the rpm. ie: 3200, 3325, 3400, 3290, 3300 etc.etc.etc. MT
  • Options

So, I'm going to go and see the boat tomorrow afternoon.  It's still in their showroom.  Hopefully that means it has zero hours on it.

I thought about the windless, but it was $3,000 or something like that I think.  Does anybody remember how much?  How difficult is it without the windless?  I definitely want to anchor bow into the wind.  I figured there was some sort of light aluminum anchor that I can put some chain on, give it a throw and let the wind set the anchor... no?  Is it hard to walk up to the bow?  I am a tall/big guy (6'2", around 290ish), but I have good balance and never had an issue on the bow of my other, smaller boats.  The steps should hold me and not crack, right? (nervous now...) 

The Bluetooth radio would be really cool.. hmm...  Is there at least an Aux input somewhere?  I was thinking of upgrading the speakers, or at least putting a 10" sub and an amp somewhere.  Maybe I'll upgrade the radio, but I would need a new remote installed too.  I also wish it had a transom remote so I can mess with it while I'm in the water, or soaking wet.  Any ideas anyone?

Sorry for all of the questions.  I will take some pics tomorrow and post tomorrow evening.  Hopefully everything looks good and not too many people have trampled through the thing.  ;)

Hey Jolly.. thanks for the offer, but I'm a gettin' a new one!  B)

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    edited September 2014

As for "running it hard".  I know.. it is not a speed boat.  What's important to me is being able to plane with 5 people, full fuel, maybe half full water and a full cooler ;).  If I can stay on plane at ~3500 RPM and do mid 20mph's somewhere, that would be great.  Even 4000RPM for an extended time is something I want to stay away from.  Besides.. what's the hurry? B)

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Hi Mike, just make sure you are on plane.  5 people, full fuel, water and cooler you may be asking a bit much for 3500 RPM.   Mid 20 mph is perfect, when you fall below you are putting more stress on the engine if you are not on plane. Don't worry about running her at 4000 RPM.  WOT is 5200 for this engine.   I run mine at 4200 RPM's 23-25mph, but have a bigger boat 280EC, same engine.  Check your oil carefully before each trip.  If you are burning oil it could be because you are breaking in your new engine OR you are putting "stress" on the engine because you are not on plane.  

• Options
    BTW, until you complete the initial break-in period of 20 hours I would not be loading the boat with 6 people and a ton of gear or by lugging it . MT
  • Options
    MT has a good point, don't overload the boat for the first 20 hours.  I have had 10 people on board (2 over 200 lbs), and full water, 3/4 tank of gas, and I still got on plane in about 12 - 15 seconds. To maintain plane I believe I had to keep it at 3800 rpm or higher. We cruised at around 25 to 27 mph that day.  If it's a normal load 4 people, I plane in about 8 seconds and need around 3500 rpm to keep on plane, cruising around 22 mph.  Best fuel consumption though is at higher speeds around +30 mph.  I get around 2 mpg at this speed.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited September 2014

Hey... this is really cool of you guys to take the time give me so many tips.  I will make sure I'm not plowing along.  Once I figure out what it'll take to be fully planed out, that's what I'm really shooting for.. 3500, 3800, 4000, whatever it may be.  Most of the time it'll be either just me, or maybe a couple of friends with half fuel, half water or less (unless I'm staying over night), but still a full cooler! lol  I think 4 people on this boat is the sweet spot for comfort, and I know other people with their own boats so they can stay on their own! ;) I don't plan on driving with the full camper up either.  Just the bimini or nothing at all (I like em' topless ;) )

OK.. now I'm going to bomb you all with pics.  Curious as to what everyone thinks of the color of the helm (I didn't see it until today).  At first I was like "whoa!", couldn't tell if I thought it was awesome or just a little confusing.  It matches the hull stripes and the canvas.  Pictures make it look REALLY blue, but in person it blends pretty well.  It's unique, and I like unique!  Besides.. if I get sick of it, I can just have gelcoted a different color for some $$$ I'm sure.  Got a great deal, so I win either way.  SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!! (oops.. I said that already).

OK.. pics starting next post.  I'll post some video on Sunday after I take it out on Friday and Saturday (assuming I get it Friday that is).

Oh.. and I used a zip program to resize them, so not the best quality.  The program decided to mostly remove my eyes, so I look sort of Asian! lol

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Congratulations Mike Love your excitement! H*ll it`s contaigous! - remember - boating extends your lifeline - get out on the water and have fun. Burn some gas! Send the pics! MT.
  • Options
    You have a beautiful boat Mike. It has the new witch hazel corian counter tops that were (and probably still are) a premium charge corian finish. You also have the new brazil wood and new colored carpets. I really like the blue dash - it should cut glare in the windshield. A beautiful boat that you can trailer! Well done! MT
  • Options
    WOOT!!!  Thanks!  After going through this experience, and actually seeing how nice the boat is (and others thinking so too), I can't believe I almost bought a used (albeit a little larger) cheaper brand.  This thing just feels so much better built.  Everything fits tightly, is very solid feeling and just feels "expensive" when compared.  I absolutely cannot wait!  Hopefully we get one more weekend of some "nice" weather.  Even if it's around the mid 60 degree range and mostly sunny, that would be enough for me.  Shoot.. if there's no ice on the water, and not raining....  lol j/k

2014 Rinker 260EC