Options

Tell me about this dinghy

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
So I just bought this today and got a really good deal I think.

Its a bit dirty and some stains, but I think it'll come out nicely with some scrubbing. Its a Quicksilver 330 with a high pressure floor and inflatable keel. Its 11' long.

I plan on using it as a tender to take my dogs to shore to use the bathroom and maybe cruise the canals for some fishing & exploring.

Couple questions:

1. How do I know that its 100% inflated? Is there some type of gauge that could go inline with the electric pump I have?

2. I figured out that the spring loaded stem can be twisted to lock in the "open" position, but how do I not lose any air when pulling off the pump? Is there a specific fitting for this type of valve that pushes down on the stem when inflated instead of having to twist it?

3. Its rated for 15hp, but that seems a little over kill for me. How do you think it'd do with 5 or maybe 9.9hp? I'd like it to plane so its not pointed bow high like crazy but dont want to drop a grand on an engine.

Thanks, any pointers are appreciated.
2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can look up on the Merc site if the air pressure is not noted on the plaque on the stern where it has capacity and HP ratings too, but generally about 3-3.5psi.  You have (3) main air chambers plus the floor and maybe even the keel.  For the main chambers: DO NOT fill each to the max with the others deflated, you want to bring them up 'together' : get them all to take their full shape, then max inflate.  Note you can expect to lose 5-10% per week of your pressure, that is normal.

The push/twist to lock if for deflating, the air from the pump will push past the valve, so you want it locked/closed to inflate.  You can get airpumps with pressure gages or at least just the gauge itself that fits to the air inlet.  Put a call into Wolf's Marine in Benton Harbor, they are like the dinghy kings and they can help with the pump/gage or at least offer help.  

Just so you don't over expect, the airdeck floor types are not the best for planing, and who/what you have in it makes a major difference.  I'm sure it can handle 15hp, but what are you doing with it?  A run from the boat to the beach with kids and eats?  How are you transporting the dinghy?  Taking off a heavy motor in bobbing seas is a royal PITA and an eventual drop in the water.  An older 2 stroke 9.9 is 68#, that 15 hp 2-stroke will be closer to 100#, a 4 stroke 9.9 is 95#..so you see the deal with the weight.  Needing to plane means bigger HP.  I had a 3.3hp 2 stroke on my 8'-6" airdeck, works fine for just putting about and to the beach, even had it out in 6' waves one day (another story).  My new AB 9.5AL has the 2 stroke 9.9 and it flies...but it is a RIB too.

A decent used 9.9 2-stroke will set you back ~$750.  

Best of luck!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Well, BD summed it pretty well.  I have an 8'6" with a 3.3hp that will actually get me on plane if I lean forward (only me in the boat).  I actually pulled a tuber behind it a few weeks ago (albeit a bit slow).  I've been looking for the 68# 2 stroke 9.9 to leave in my dock box and use with the kids around the dock.  I love the 28lbs for my 3.3hp!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I still have my 3.3 for just that reason DI: light. I'll keep it too!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thanks guys, great info.

It'll be mostly for transporting my two dogs to & from the boat to shore for restroom use. They refuse to go on the swim platform even though I know their bladder is bursting. I wouldnt even really care if they went in the cockpit with the carpet up, since its self-bailing and I can rinse it down the drains easily. Otherwise I might cruise the rivers and canals up here to do some fishing and cheap cruising.

I plan on storing it upside down on the cuddy deck, and if it isnt TOO huge I might try to keep it up there when cruising to an anchorage. Otherwise I'll have to tow it behind or pull it halfway up the swim platform and tie it down to the rear cleats. I'll take the motor off regardless of how its stored when cruising.

The more I think about it a 9 or 15hp 4 stroke would be really nice when taking the dinghy out for a cruise from the marina, but for going to shore when anchored out I could just row it. It'd save a lot of setup and a little exercise wouldnt hurt. LOL

I gotta clean it up, but here's some quick pics today.

• Options
    Nice find.  Hunt around for a 3.3 or a 5hp, there are some nice propane ones and all electric too..both those will set you back some $$$.  I bet craigslist has outboards this time of year too by you.  Those cheap magic erasers work well for cleaning and then 303 it.

Here is the air pump I mentioned

http://www.solutiononemaritime.com/inflatable-boat-accessories/319-zodiac-z7111-pressure-gauge.html

if you do get a 4-stroke, pay attention to what side needs to stay 'up' when on its side or you'll hydrolock it with the engine oil too..not good.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I've got the basically the same thing, but in a Coleman brand. The double action is nice, but no pressure gauge. It sounds like the gauge isnt really needed, just inflate until its "drum tight". Opinion on that?

I just dislike how smelly and noisy most of the 2 strokes I see/hear around me. Are the newest ones any better? Not many of them out there brand new from my quick searching. I definitely cant drop a ton on the engine, but I dont want to waste time and money on a 30 year old relic because its cheap.

I found this dink on CL and likely will find the OB there too. I'll bet someone needs some christmas money in a couple months..... :)

• Options
    You can't buy a new 2-stroke anymore, so used is the way...my 3.3 has the exhaust thru the prop.  The 9.9 I have does not..so a bit smokey.  The 4-strokes are really quiet for sure.  I saw a few OB's in your area..9.9's form the 92-00 vintage about $750 for some nice ones, most have little use as they are common for dinghys.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Joe you can check with trouts basin in bolles harbor for a outboard mr trout may have one and he is a good guy to deal with
  • Options
    So I bought a fitting from West Marine that screws onto the valves and helps to inflate a ton easier.

Used LA's Totally Awesome with a scrub brush and my 2200psi pressure washer for the really tough spots. It came out almost 100% perfect, with just those strange really dark brown spots not budging at all. Its held pressure for almost a week now with no leaks, so I'm guessing its all good to go.

• Options
    Try wiping it with xylene. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Here's what I'm talking about. The pressure washer didnt even touch them. Previous owner said they appeared after it sat in the water for awhile, so some type of really dark algae staining? It looks like friggin motor oil, but its definitely mold of some type.
  • Options
    if it penetrated the material, you're stuck with it, but it cleaned up darned nice!  Xylene is great for wiping them down though.  Just be careful with the stuff.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I bought a couple gallons of Starbrite ez off hull cleaner, which I'm sure will get every bit of algae off the hull, so I plan on giving it a shot at these stains too.

But yeah, its in great shape now and ready for some putzing. :)
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a cover that is stained? Can these covers be dyed like clothing can? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    No, thats the outside of the floor.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Maybe a fresh coat of paint? Is there fabric paint that can be used without making a mess? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark is 100% on, My friend had a badly stained dinghy. I just called him. He used a Pettit water based paint that he sprayed on. He said you can't find the spots. BTW he neutralized it first with a mildewcide as the paint rep said to treat it, leave it in the direct sunlight for two days (to allow the mildewcide to work) let the fabric dry for a few days and use the paint. He did it in 2012 and said it still looks great. Good luck. MT
  • Options
    Good to know, thanks. Its only on the bottom so I'm not overly concerned with it, but might be a fun winter project.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friends was on the bottom (of his dinghy) too but he is a bit of a details guy (ocd) and didn't want the stains to show when it was hoisted-up on the back of his ride. MT
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I've got some that finally appeared this year on my dinghy as well.  But, it's 7 seasons old, so I can be too unhappy about that.  Anyone know of a really good adhesive to use.  I've got a huge area (4 feet or so) that came undone that needs reglued over the winter.  I remember reading a post on here about glueing and making sure to do it in a warm area and all that.  So I figure in my basement over the winter would be good.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Buy the glue from Weaver (davit people). The glue has a short shelf life, so beware who you get it from that it is not old. It does stink bad. You need low humidity and room temp (70 ish). 

PC BYC, Holland, MI