Options

Sunset cruise aboard our '04 FV270 Tiki Hut running down Sarasota Bay on a tropical evening

TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard for a sweet sunset in ideal sea conditions. It was one of those perfect evenings when the seas laid down, the sunset was gorgeous and the boat was running flawlessly. Welcome aboard indeed.

My handheld video is a little shaky as I'm pointing it backwards while I maintain my heading but you start to understand why I went to the effort after a few seconds. :D . Feel free to add your favorite pics or videos too.

For the gear heads that noticed our gauges at the end:

In flat seas our '04 FV270 (see specs below) reaches ideal trim with our stowed gear slightly fwd of amidship, cruising at 3950-4000rpm and no trim tabs. I make tiny tiny adjustments to the the O/D while watching the engines computerized fuel flow meter until the o/d is usually trimmed slightly up up from neutral. You'll feel the hull reach a sweet spot in the balance between too far nose up and/or driving the nose too far down until it settles perfectly in the middle while the fuel gauge numbers decrease and the speed actually increases. In this boats case it's doing about 14.4gph at 30mph or about 2mpg. Not too bad for pushing an 8000lb cabin on the water at a comfortable pace.

Hope you'll share your pics/videos too. Mike

PS. Sorry, I tried every tool I could find to embed the youtube frame but here's the link anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OANWnmAZEZg&feature=youtu.be
2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
Post edited by TikiHut2 on

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful video thanks for sharing
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    This is our marina facing the parlement hill in Ottawa Canada.

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man... Days like that, huh? Makes me wanna go launch regardless of the rain... :-) 
  • Options
    RY, that little spray is the transducer. Good eye. Antenna is down to increase my aerodynamic coefficient. ;)

Drew, rain! omg I brought the boat back home friday and it's rained over 8" in 4 days. I'm drowning in armadillos ('possums on the half shell) and fire ants looking for high ground. Here's my normally dry front yard/pasture yesterday.... My buddy said it's time to launch the TikiHut..... I will when the animals start coming two-by-two..... which could be tomorrow. :D

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Nice video Mike....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Videos and photos.  I love them.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice video! I want to go boating now. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful video! We have friends that have a second home in Sarasota and we'll likely be visiting 'round about March. They don't have a boat though, what a gyp! Our usual trip to Mexico is off this year due to the kitchen addition we've been up to our ears in since April.  When I think of the boat that money would have bought..... We have only put around 15 hours on the 246 this season - waaaaa!
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Awesomeness!!!
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!!!!!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Thanks guys. My boating season is just about to re-start.... if the rain ends, which it will. Hey any clues on how to embed the Youtube frame rather than just a link?

G54, The light's always on. Just drop me a line when you get close to town and we'll look at the schedules/weather. Same offer goes out to the rest of the Rinker tribe.

Tony, I'm lazy about getting the camera out. It was the admiral that looked back and said "turn around, you've gotta see this sunset". Man, I also can't believe how much smoother the boat's running after re-setting the outdrive alignment. Unbelieveable. It just purrs.... like it should. We'll be getting together soon. MnK

• Options
    Still on the fence but probably at least through the upcoming season.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And replace with what?
  • Options

Surely you have a nice picture to share that reminds you of why we keep these water toys...?
    My classic sunset picture that reminds me why I keep it..... 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was talking with a friend today, an avid fisherman with a 19' and outboard. He spends his cash on fishing gear mostly. His theory: spend it on that or something else (or his wife spends it). Either way it gets spent!  May as well enjoy it!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    edited September 2014
    well, here's one....and one that is similar to yours, with the sun, of my old 310.

DSC00742a.jpg

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice video, looked like a great calm sunset cruise.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DI, is that a 310? Looks like your 400 to me? MT
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Great photo Frenchship, I was on the walking path below Parliament checking out the river and locks. What a great area you are in for boating!
  • Options
    MT, yes that is the 400.  I also put my 310 in with a sunset but it didn't attach correctly.  Here it is:

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    look under your YouTube video, to the left of where it says "Share", click on "Embed". copy and paste that link in your comment. I can't remember if you need to click on one of the appropriate Vanilla Forums buttons or not.

what a sunset! nice video. was that GPH on your display?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the embedding tip but I spent yet another 30mins trying every option again and still no youtube frame. I guess either me or the forum has it's software limitations. Tried the youtube>share>embed code directly into the text frame and in both the image and hyperlink boxes. No go.

The gauge on the dash is my '04 ver of the Merc Smartcraft multigauge plugged directly to the engine computer. I have it set to gph in that last scene showing a solid 14.2 gph at 30mph/4000rpm in neutral sea conditions at best trim. You should've been there. I still owe you one. Cya, Mike
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for that Steve, I feel a bit better. I can't even post a picture with my friggin windows 7 - guess I'll have to break-down and spend some gas money on software. :-(  MT
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dS5smR3sPY

Tiki,
       This is just copied and pasted address right from the main address line at YouTube.  Does it show for you?  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Thanks Gary. It shows in my screen. I'm not too sure what's up with my insert technique. Pretty sure I've tried it all. Must be some sort of issue with my win7 Chrome settings.
    Thanks, Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I am also using Win7 and Chrome.  Hmmm.  Not sure. I just copied and pasted it here in the window, no embedding or anything else.  

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    You know you guys keep putting up these video's and now I am starting get withdrawals and my boat doesn't even come out of the water for another 3 weeks...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Raybo, I hear ya man!  With some family stuff going on, we just haven't been able to have 'family time' on the boat for a few weeks and looks like it's not gonna happen much more this year.  At least we had a really great summer!  Gonna do the oil change tomorrow.

• Options
    Next weekend we are planning on going to the boat for a little.  I've been going every weekend, but the family hasn't been cause my FIL is here from OH and had knee replacement 2 weeks ago.  He is still using a walker, so the admiral doesn't want to take him to the boat yet.  I've just been getting some things done and playing around a bit each time I'm there.  I figure getting some things done now will allow me later in October to just enjoy time on the boat if the weather is good, if not I'll be that much closer to having all my maintenance done.