Options

B3 lower....toast

SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
So on my way to the trailer (by boat) to pull out for the season, i was running up on plane and all seemed well. When I came off plane and stopped to wait for a bridge to go up, I notice when i put the port drive in gear there was some awful grinding. When I got the boat on the trailer i turned the props by hand and sure enough, crunch, crunch, crunch... I also noticed the gear lube monitor was overflowing, so i opened the cap and POOF!, pressurized gear lube blew everywhere.... looks like its time for a new lower, hopefully not a whole new drive. Not the best way to end the season but if it had to happen, i guess now is the best time
01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. The upper will almost certainly be damaged too from the debris circulating. At a minimum it should be taken apart and cleaned. 

I can recommend:
    http://www.allamericandriveservice.com

at least call them. They can advise about the upper part. They offer a 2 year warranty too. 

Best of luck!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's witchcraft in those things... suiting, as it nears ol' hallows eve, no? .... hire a witch, is my recommendation.... it'll likely cost you the nail clippings of your first born.

beware, though, witches are tricky it's been my experience... one actually talked me into marrying her once... that didn't end well, but, alas, it ended...

sorry to hear this, Sir Sea Hare, but through humor all things are better.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    well, as many of us have, I learned it was simpler to just install a new drive (did one this past spring).  The cost of a complete rebuild is not really much cheaper, and you are still using the same housing that probably has some internal wear with all that going on.  Sorry to hear about it, but like you said, it really couldn't have happened at a better time.

Good luck and keep us updated with your decision.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    im pretty sure i lost a lower prop seal and ingested water... just had both lowers resealed 2 seasons ago.... **** fishermen and their mono!
  • Options
    Until it is inspected you just don't know.  I had leaking seals, but the reason was the destroyed thrust bearing on the prop shafts.  You'll never just flush out the upper drive..and almost certainly, as I noted, you have bearing/gear damage already in the upper drive.  The guy at All American will take your core and he does upgrades too, make a call, can't hurt! 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I had to replace a complete drive this spring. Buying new is the way to go. Good luck and keep us posted.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Al's back!  woohoo! :)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Al's is back
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Welcome back Al............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Al. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Thumbs up!  (*)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Al!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    While Im not located close enough for you to work on it Al, I sure do appreciate seeing back here!!... From a quick inspection, here is what I know....
    1. there does not appear to be any water in the drive
    2. the gear is black as the ace of spades and smells burt
    3. the little magnet on the lower plug is broke off so i dont have much info if there are metal shavings in the case.
    4. I can pull/push the rear prop about 1/2 inch 

My mechanic said once things slow down this winter he will be rebuilding a bunch of drives and he can rebuild mine for a good price "if its not too far gone".
    Im hoping to keep this repair under 2k, I hope thats not reaching for the stars