Drive trimmed fully up, won't trim down

I used the trailer switch to bring drive all the way up. Tried to lower it and it wouldn't go.  I loosen up the hydro line and drifted down a little then It worked fine. Any thoughts. 

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have merc outdrives?  If so, I would look at the solenoids for the trim pump. 2 per pump (up and down). Replace both if you do one. About $20 each. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if the pump is running but drive wont come back down or is slow in the down position? Doesn't the solenoid just turn on the pump?
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had that issue, new solenoids and works like it should. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if the pump is running but drive wont come back down or is slow in the down position? Doesn't the solenoid just turn on the pump?
    Your trim fluid could be low.
    2008 330EC
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Best case scenario would be.......No need to fear. The anodes on a B-3 will bind on the ram shaft a bit and may require some persuasion if left up for a week or more. Have the admiral push the down trim while you push it down with a dock pole or whatever. Once you cycle it once or twice underway it should work fine. It's just trying to punish you for not using the boat more often D .

If it needs oil then it'd show up somewhere in the bilge as a greasy mess. If a down trim solenoid is bad it'd just be silent when you press the down switch.

Good luck, Mike

oops, just realized this was a 6wk old thread. oh well. Have a great season everybody....Cmas season that is. Boating season is right around the corner :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    My trim oil is fine. The pump runs but its 10 years old and does not sound as good as the other pump which was replaced 3 years ago. I thought one solenoid was up and the other was down. The purpose of the solenoid is to run the pump. Im thinking its the pump and not the solenoids. 
    So you've tried to spritz the rams with silicone spray and cycle them with a little manual assist from the stern? Having a ram get a little sticky in the up/retracted position isn't totally uncommon.

Cleaning the trim pump oil tank is a normal maintenance item that's often neglected too. Before you spring for a new pump try removing and cleaning the tank and refresh the fluid. Also check all of the solenoid connections for a corroded (low voltage) connection. My money is riding on a simple fix but good luck.

Let us know how it goes.
    just sayin.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Mike, you cant do any of that when its in the water except the fluid which did look brownish green. 
    Brownish green oil sounds like the problem. Moisture, rust and contaminants laying in a close tolerance hydraulic system is asking for trouble. Purge and clean, then keep your fingers crossed. A new pump isn't too outrageous but rams start to get painful. keep that oil clean.

I've had a sticky ram after a launch due to a tight anode and simply reach under the swim platform using a dock pole to add 10-20lbs of downward pressure. Once fully down and underway it's freed up and won't complain again......until it sets for a few weeks/month waiting for the next trip. A pretty common but simple fix.
    I am just going to get a new pump and 2 stainless steel brackets because both are rusted