Options

Cheaper Gas

halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
Great, just as most of us have laid up for the winter, gas is on sale! It would be great if it  holds until next summer.  Might help Tiki sell his boat! 

Comments

• Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    I just filled up At Marina this past weekend 101 gallons @ $5.20 a gallon, Not cheap, I need to find a different place to fill up
  • Options
    RY, I agree they just brought it down $.32
  • Options
    Thats crazy LD. We really get ripped off here in Canada, especially in NS and we're down to $4.04/us gallon. My summer price was $5.25/gal.  Let's hope our economies on both sides don't slide because of it though.
  • Options
    Gas stations are at $2.99 per gallon, Also buy gas in bulk for my company 500 gal non ethanol a week and a half ago $3.10 a gallon, I have no idea why the marina is charging so much money, like I mentioned earlier I think I need to find someplace else to purchase it, Might even be cheaper for me to put a fuel tank in the back my pick up truck and purchase it at the same time I purchase for my company, I would just hate to carry around 100 gallons of fuel for a couple weeks
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Oil just hit $62 a barrel today. Back in June it was $107. This is putting the squeeze on the Russians, who basically have a fossil fuel based economy.
  • Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    Screw the Russians....I think I will be filling my tanks before the end of the year, I last bought gas a couple months ago at $3.89/gal but CA has a new tax going into effect on Jan 1 adding $.15 a gal. Gas on the street here is about $2.79/gal.

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options
    jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Please send all your empty milk cartons my way.  I think its time to stock up.  Is that legal?????  Gas in Philadelphia is 2.32 a gallon.  
  • Options
    TietsortTietsort Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Skynyrd where are you getting your gas from? I paid 4.19 in Sausalito in October and that was cheap. That same weekend Antioch was 4.36. Last time I checked Sugar barge they were north of 4.00
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I bought gas on land for $2.19!  Hoping it holds for next summer.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    rowboat212rowboat212 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Gas ain't just gas this time of year... It's heavy on butane to aid in quicker burning at higher temps... It's also a nice filler to make up for the atmospheric deviation where a gallon displaces less space- and that's how pumps meter it (by flow) which means if the butane wasn't present, you'd be getting more bang for your buck... Oil companies are something else, no?  

Look, fellers, Winter blend is a no go in my boat... I hate using it in anything, and I won't run it in anything not computer controlled (retard timing, adjust long term fuel trim reconciled by short term), else you take a risk of predetonation which is pretty ugly in minor form, but just plain fugly in catastrophic form.  y'all use it if you want, but my rigs topped off with the last of the summer blend recreational fuel, and will only be cut with winter blend recreational fuel as needed. 

Be nice to your fuel system and engine, and it'll be nice to you. these prices aren't Crystal clear... There are angles. 
  • Options
    TietsortTietsort Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    2.75 is about the best I've seen San Francisco Bay Area on land.
  • Options

Tietsort.....

I try to buy my gas at Pittsburg Marina. It is run by the city and is the cheapest gas on the delta. Their gas is Valvtec marine gas. Their web site has a phone number you call for current price. It's about a 10 mile trip from my marina to Pittsburg but worth the trip. My marina charges $4.55 a gal so difference is $.66/gal. I usually buy 100 gallons and spend the day fishing in the area.

I am at Lauritzen Yacht Harbor right next to the Antioch bridge.

Where are you at?

Len

• Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    You guys are lucky, my marina charges £1.49 per ltr on petrol.  Still love boating.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $3.9 a gallon in Toronto. And that's for 84 octane (regular). Ethanol free will be much more expensive.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Well Terry, you're the highest one of all. I know there is a ton of tax on fuel in the UK but lets hope there is relief across the pond for you guys as well.
  • Options
    such a wide range of prices
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Cheers but I'm not holding my breath
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for Rinker to make a diesel/electric cruiser..
  • Options
    After paying well over $4 for months, finally some relief. For California these are great prices. In January the State is slapping on a .15cent a gallon tax. Figures! This station is in Costa Mesa and I enjoyed filling my truck today.

• Options
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are the same prices that we are paying around Pittsburgh... Ugh...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Gas in Venezuela was 6 cents a gallon back in January. It must be free now!
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Cableguy, I don't think that I have seen $2.779 in my part of Pittsburgh yet. Sad when we pay more than the People's Republic of California - Thanks "No Tax Increase" Corbett.... (Of course hold on to your wallet as "I WILL raise your taxes" Wolfe takes over...)    :-(

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

hey didnt the gas companies say last fall that winter gas is more expensive than summer gas? And then in the spring say that summer gas is more expensive than winter gas?

• Options
    rowboat212rowboat212 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭

hey didnt the gas companies say last fall that winter gas is more expensive than summer gas? And then in the spring say that summer gas is more expensive than winter gas?

Those guys say all kinds of things... One of my all time faves was "due to bandits tapping pipeline in sub Sahara Africa, and using ten gallon buckets to cart crude oil away, prices on world market barrels went up $12 today"... Seriously.. 

There is truth that winter weather needs more combustible fuel to initially ignite... Okay.. thirty seconds after starting your engine you're good... To address the need for combustion, they add butane which is a hugely abundent by product of distillation... Okay.. makes sense.  Uh... why not... Sure.. 

Do you want to play a game? 

Take a container with a gallon of fuel and sit it inside your heated garage and Mark the level with a marker... Then, take it outside in the cold winter air and allow it to settle to ambient temperature.. Mark that level.. compare the marks... Colder is denser and the same gallon displaces less space.   Take it back inside and allow to settle to inside ambient temperature.  you'll notice the mark goes back to or close to the first one.  for speaking terms, let's say that the difference in levels marked is a pint at the outside temperature. 

Pumps measure volume, as defined by space/displacement.  If the pump tank in the ground is cooler, the fuel is denser, and you get more than a gallon... If it's warmer, you get at or less than a gallon... You're almost guaranteed to get more volume to displacement when it's colder... Oil companies know this... Therefore, the fluff the fuel with compounds and fillers, mostly butane, to attempt to even out the 'losses' they would incur otherwise... 

Now I've told you two reasons for winter blends.... Which do you find more likely to be true, knowing the oil companies?  

To further complicate, it's estimated there are no less than a dozen blends across the nation at any given time... Some cities, such as LA, require their very own... Go figure.. 

• Options
    Now $2.719 at the same Shell station this morning. If only the marina fuel docks were following suit!
  • Options

I bought gas today for the car at $2.599/gal in Stockton CA. The price of Valvtect marine gas at Pittsburg (CA) marina is at $3.49/gal. I don't know if the marina gas is going to go down enough in the future to offset the 15 cent/gal new tax that will go into effect in Jan. I don't use the boat a lot in winter and have about 1/2 tank now. It will probably last me 2-3 months. Wish I knew what the price will be in 2-3 months. Guess I will just wait and see, .$15/gal won't break me.

Will be going out next week and doing some fishing, will be thinking about you guys with your boats in storage.

Len

• Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    $2.87 here in Rochester.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    212, volume is corrected to average temperature. So in theory everyone breaks even after a year. But you're probably right, they screw us anyhow.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    $3.09 (non ethanol) in the marina next door to us and Costco is $2.29, not bad for Washington State.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO