Options

FV 270 flatscreen TV location

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Man you guys are **** poor Diggin'!  Handy, when you start spending 50+ days/nights on the boat every year, you may want to rethink the TV thing.  If you have kids, you'd know exactly what he means.  My kids do nothing but water stuff all day.  Fishing, swimming, crabbing, dinghying, skiing & lots more.  But at the end of the day, a nice shower and let them chill for a half hour, maybe a little movie to sleep is great.  My kids are a bit older now (14 and 11), so they go with a book a lot of times, but I still know what he means.  & hey, a little TV on the boat is better than sitting at home and watching it!

Ok, as mentioned, you definitely want to think about that 12VDC TV.  Definitely worth going that route, with a built in DVD player.  I got an off brand (Ugh, can't remember name, but I did mention on one of these TV topics a while back), and this is the second time I bought this brand and love it!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    @Handymans342 , sorry for the REALLY late response. If you download the MLB App on the apple TV box, then you just create an account on the MLB website, sign up for a season pass, and BAM...Live baseball, as long as you have wifi or course.  Im a New Yorker living in Philadelphia, so it the only way I can watch the Yankees.  And I agree with you @Dream_Inn , but, I plan on working from my boat during the summer, as its my marina is only a a few blocks from my office, so if I can get some ambiet noise, music,  baseball, ESPN, and whatever, it will be worth it.  
  • Options
    bobber56bobber56 Member Posts: 7
    I bought a 12 volt flat screen from Best Buy for about $125.00.It fits inside the cabinet with the rolling door.It gets better reception than the original TV with converter.I installed longer power and antenna cables so I can take it out of cabinet and set it on V_berth floor and watch news  from cockpit in the while having coffee in the morning! Works for me.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Finally got around to installing a TV.... Bought a 24" LED Insignia DVD combo w/full motion mount and installed it in front of the head(original location). Can be watched from v-berth and the aft cabin(and from deck too)... And yes, I took the advice of others and bought a 12v television, just have to order the adapter from Amazon. I had to drill through the wall into the head to for the full motion mount. Covered the bolts with matching screw caps and VIOLA!!! I installed a TV antenna on the radar arch and was able to get 12 digital channels from my marina... I ran out of time so I'll have to play around a bit more.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love those cooking shows!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    TV looks great Diggin!  Is there a latch that keeps it from swinging or does it rely on tightening the bracket?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    No latch to keep it from swinging, but definitely installing one. 
  • Options
    chrissyscallchrissyscall Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Nice, better get a lock for it, I'm in the market for one, lol!!!!
  • Options
    Go ahead.... And I'll be (not) watching my TV from my new filler cushions! Lol... Still have to check them out. 
  • Options
    HedgeHedge Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Hi diggin2day1 ... I have the same boat and I am considering doing the same  installation as you did. When drilling the holes to attach the swing arm, obviously you used a wood bit on the cabin side but did you use the same bit to drill thru the bathroom plastic wall? .....I am worried about cracking the plastic.?  And did you drill all the way thru from the outside?  Thanks 
  • Options
    I actually used a pointed plexiglas drill bit. I also used masking tape to help eliminate cracking. I went nice and slow and had zero problems. I'm pretty sure the bolts I used were 12mm x 1.75" long with nylon lock nut. The large screw caps(got them from west marine for $5) covered the head of the bolt in the head(two bolts were covered by the mirror). 

While underway I put the TV into the hole and stuff a soft blanket in front to hold it in place... Not so pretty while underway, but it's safe and secure. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so now it's 2017, looks like 24 inch is the way to go, but how about a 24 inch smart tv from samsung or something ? :) 
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Here is what I ordered, you dont have to buy the expensive 12v tvs with dvd.   I bought this 24" LG for my cockpit arch.   I wanted a white tv out in the cockpit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322451284730?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This tv is a 110v in but is being converted to 19v 2.0amps.    I am replacing the powersupply with this to run off 12v.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/76W-DC-DC-Converter-DC-12V-to19V-4A-Boost-Step-up-Car-Power-Module-Waterproof-/272301540615?hash=item3f666fc507:g:Ng0AAOSwzJ5XgGkm

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    Interesting, do you know if LG's webOS tv's allow you to stream directly to it via a samsung phone/tablet?  That looks like a good tv.  Now how about one that's 4k, smart, 24 inch.. hmm
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    LG supports miracast which does allow direct stream from android devices to native app.  IOS needs a apple tv or cable.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    @jhorta when you say ATT hotspot, you mean from your iphones hotspot or you have a separate device?  And that streams the Apple TV no problem?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys must have a good WiFi connection or a great mobile data plan to stream 4K to your boat TV. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Good point. I'm on a verizon unlimited, but 4k might be pushing it...  :)
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    no way 4k from a mobile hotspot...
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Yachtsman1304Yachtsman1304 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Here's how mine is mounted.  It's on a regular wall mount.  Behind it is the DVD player.  Easy access to power too.
    2002 FV 270, Mercruiser Mag 350, Bravo III, Manistee, MI