Options

Stepped up to a EC420 from a Chaparral 310

DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Rinker Photo Gallery
Just moved up to an '07 EC420 with 180hrs, Volvo Penta IPS500, pod drives.  Boat was ordered from factory with a bow thruster , but I am installing the joystick now.  Burgundy gelcoat was slightly chalky, so I am painting it in a beautiful Dark Firethorn metallic clear coat .  Replacing the factory white canvas with burgundy Sunbrella.  Lots of other little things too. Stay tuned for updated pics.

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking vessel
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now thats a boat! Eat your heart out Dream! LOL
  • Options
    Would love to see the engine room  :p
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, And congratulations on the new boat
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Very nice!  I can't say I've ever seen the colored hull done that way.  Most are done all the way to the water line.  I like the way that looks and I've always loved the merlot (we have a merlot 360 on my dock).  If your canvas is in decent shape, let me know if you are getting rid of it.  We have several 420s in my marina that could have an interest.  Please post any questions that may arise.  I've done a lot of odds/ends on the 420 and may be able to help (as well as others here).  There are a few things that are a bit difficult to get to on the 420 (especially in the mid-cabin area).  Engine rooms are beautiful in the 420s!  I know some people that mounted some 5 gallon tubs in it for storage of spare parts/tools.

Do you have the optional washer/dryer?  If you do, you may find it will fill your black water tank extremely fast.  I know others that had it go overboard instead and then always use bio safe detergent.

good luck! & let's see some pics when you get the gel coat redone!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks Dream-Inn,  I am VERY excited about the boat and can't wait to get my hands on it.  The canvas that is on there now (in the pics) was replaced by Rinker after Superstorm Sandy had its way with it. This is the factory material and design that originally came on the boat when new, and is about 2-3 years old. Its not perfect, but certainly not bad either, just not the look I want for the boat. I will most likely box it up and either put it aside or (if you know someone who is interested, let me know).

I do have the washer/dryer, but since they have never been used and still have the original plastic on them, I most likely won't use them either.  We just don't spent THAT amount of time on the boat that we need to do our laundry there.

I do have some questions, and perhaps I can pic your brain for a moment...
    Do you happen to know where the joystick was mounted when the boat was built with that option ?  Perhaps the right side cup holder,  just to the right of the steering wheel ?

Have you encountered anyone who had replaced the flip down TV/DVD player on the hardtop ? I was thinking a 32" flat screen/with built in DVD player, but not attached to the hardtop, perhaps mounted to the double stainless steel hardtop support facing the aft seating area ? (just an idea).

Any thoughts where I may be able to pic up one or both of the bedding sets ? I have the one for the forward cabin, but the aft cabin set is no where to be found and the mattress is an odd shape. Does Rinker still carry these items ?

Funny you mentioned the "waterline gelcoat" ...there is a 410 sitting right next to mine in the paint booth. It has the full hull dark blue gelcoat, and it looks like a 3rd grade blackboard.  He is getting his repainted, but in the same non metallic, blue that came from the factory.  It should be beautiful when its done. Ive seen the work they have done at my marina and I an VERY impressed. Guess ill just have to be a little more careful when it comes to fender rash.

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    It is amazing to me why would a 2007 low hours would need to be painted. No paint can beat the toughness and durability of gelcoat. The only reason I can think of is you could not live or enjoy the boat with is original colour . Bit it is a personal choice and I respect that.
  • Options
    I am with frenchship
  • Options
    make you guys a deals, send me my monthly payment, and Ill keep the gelcoat !
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The merlot is a tough gel to keep looking good. We have 3 merlot Rinkers in Pittsburgh and 2 of them look like crap. The third one looks great at the beginning of the season, but by the end it looks ok. We had a 400 a few years ago that was tan and the gel was the same way as your 420. I think that was a special order from the factory because there weren't many gelled that way. I loved the look and think that it is very sharp.

It is a shame that Al is isn't on here anymore... He helped with the design of the hull of the 420. If you have a Facebook account, join the Rinker Owners group. He is on there and is a wealth of information.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice upgrade.  She looks beautiful.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dirty, I'm guessing you are at or near Stone Harbor.  I know of two people that went and looked at your boat when it was for sale.  It is a bit unique with those drives. I'd love to know how she rides!  I'm betting it's pretty good.  I'd also like to know how much better the fuel econ is.  As far as where to mount the joystick, I hadn't seen it on a 420, so not really sure.

Not sure of the type of boating you like to do (anchoring or docking), but I do know one of the problems I've seen most 420 owners have is the ability to anchor long without running the generator.  It is mainly because of the nice full size fridge/freezer.  I think if you do moderate anchoring, you won't notice.  But, if you like to anchor for 3 days at a time very often, you will definitely notice.

Greg, my dock neighbor has a 420 with blue hull and ended up painting (due to other reasons - fire in the marina).  You do have to be a lot more careful now because it rubs off much easier.  Fenders will easily leave permanent marks, that in gel coat you could buff out.  Definitely something to think about.  There is a 390 two down from me that has been contemplating for years about paint, but now has a nice Formula that moved in next to him with a few rub marks from Fenders.  It has made him think twice about the paint.

Dirty, I hear you on the washer/dryer.  I see most people not using them at all, partly cause they are pretty small and take a while to dry.  I thought it'd be great for towels until I saw how many could fit.

DVD, I'm still trying to figure out what I can do to replace that thing.  It really is way to small and doesn't have a tuner (although someone on here had a way to use the input for a tuner).  Probably could use the stainless bars to mount one.  (I see you have the dance pole as well.  I believe that was added on because the hardtops on certain models tended to move quite a bit). I always thought it'd be neat to have a TV you could pull out of the cabinet behind the helm seat.  I'm surprised the aft cabin bed is odd shaped.  I thought it was a queen?  I'll check around when boating time comes and see what others have done.  I have two twin beds in the back of mine that take regular sheets.  We boxed up all the original bedding and used our own fun stuff.  I'd say find a local shop to make some up if you can't get something to fit.  It'll be much cheaper that way.

• Options
    Greg,  I have already spoken with Al, and he helped me out replacing my Raymarine C-120, which the no-glare screen had worn off and the unit wasn't tracking with the movement of the boat. Al had a NIB/NOS C-120, which I picked up from him.
    I have had a lot of very nice comments on the design and color of the merlot.  It is unique, and I haven't seen another like it. I will just need to be extra careful with the paint, and Im ok with that.
    Dream-Inn, yes, the boat is in Stone Harbor until it gets commissioned and heads up the Delaware.  The boat rides amazing !!  it is actually quicker on plane than my 310 was, and it just gives you the impression of being a rock solid boat, although it feels light and maneuverable. I suppose at 24,500b, she is pretty heavy.   She turns well and I was pretty impressed with how quiet she is. Also, I guess because the exhaust exits through the pods, there is NO ODOR at all of diesel fumes (something that had worried me).  I've heard 30% better fuel economy, but I can't chime in on that yet, so summer will tell.

I appreciate all of the input re: my questions. Im new to the Rinker world and your suggestions and comments come well received. Thank You !
  • Options
    I have Diesels too Dirty so I am curious as to your fuel burn as well. 
  • Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful boat, best of luck to you.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big boat. Nice.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    That is a sweet looking ride. I love the color. Best of luck......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Can't find one for sale in the UK mores the pity.  Really love the colour.
  • Options
    Paint is done....What an amazing difference...went with Firethorn metallic clear coat.
    New canvas is on.......4 new props are polished , balanced and awaiting install....and the joystick is FINALLY installed !!!  Bring on the SUMMER !!
  • Options
    Looks great!!  Love the colored canvas as well!  I hear you on spring!  I'm excited seeing 40's and a chance of 50 degrees in the 10-day forecast!  All I need is a 10-day forecast that is completely above freezing and I'm in!

• Options
    Boat looks awesome. Great job!! Just got a little more snow seems like "summer is never coming" but I know it will.....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Very very nice It looks awesome I'm sure you'll enjoy it
  • Options
    How about some inside pics and engine room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Man that is one sweet boat............
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    What an awesome layout and boat.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Wow That is absolutely Beautiful looking boat
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I don't remember the additional 20amp battery charger on the 420s (except one under the vberth for the thruster).  What is that additional charger for?  I'd love to see a whole view picture of the engine room just as a comparison to one's with gas engines.  Maybe from the hatch area (I know you have panels that lift out instead of the hydraulic, but maybe a shot is still possible showing both engines?)  I know there is a ton of space, I mean a ton (to me almost a bit too much unused) with the gas engines in there only.  I'm curious how nicely the diesels fit in there.  I bet they look great!

You need to bring her down to the Chesapeake Rendezvous in July!  There is 400 that comes down every year from NJ, maybe you could follow him down.

• Options
    Thanks all for the very nice compliments, I can't wait to really get my hands on her and enjoy.   
    Dream-Inn, you'll have to wait on those pics, I don't have any readily available..I only have portioned off detail pics of the engine compartment, no overall pics.  But I can tell you this, you are correct , with the pod drives, there is a ton of space..heres one you can see what I'm referring to.