What size/type dinghy for my FV270?

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
I am in the market for my first dinghy for my (new to me) FV270 and I'm not sure which type to get. I'm thinking that I should keep it around 9' long due to the boats 9'1" beam. I'm looking on Defender.com at the different types(solid panel floor, slat floor or air floor) and wondering which would be best for me. I will most likely inflate/deflate as needed or just tie onto the swim platform between destinations... Where does everyone store their dinghy, outboard and fuel tanks on their FV270's? Was thinking about getting a 6hp Tohatsu, just trying to decide on fuel tanks(built-in or seperate).... There's just too many options!!!

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Well, you may want to consider the 8'6", which should be able to accommodate most families.  You'd want a little space to still be able to get around on the swim platform.  (heck, 8'6" is what I have and I still think it takes up a lot of space on my 400)  I also prefer the air floor, which is extremely tough and durable, but it can deflate and roll into the bag.  I actually put mine in the bag still every winter (which is saying something cause it does take a bit to get back in the bag).  Engine, what will you be using the dinghy for?  back and forth to shore, short distances?  I have a 3.3hp that weighs only 28lbs.  Very easy to use and put on/off.  I'm looking at an older 7.5hp that weighs 35lbs that I may buy.  2 cycle are much lighter, but does take mixed oil.  Built-in tank is very convenient.  I think you want to keep things as simple as possible, or you may end up not using the dink just because it is a pain (I see more people that don't use theirs than do).  Good luck and let us know what you find.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My 5 year old Zodiac Bombard 9' dinghy with a wood slat floor is toast. The seams failed after all the exposure to UV and salt air, plus the fairly rough handling it received. I'm looking at the Zodiac C230 Aero with the high pressure floor from Defender for about a grand. It's about 8 feet long, perfect for the swim platform on my FV250 which is narrower than yours I believe. The slat floor boats have flat bottoms and don't steer well. The Aero has more of a keel. I'm sticking with my 4hp Merc outboard which runs great, very reliable.
    I enjoy my dinghy almost as much as my Rinker, and the dollars involved are reasonable for what you get, considering a good SUP board runs a grand too.
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I found a QuickSilver 330 on craigslist locally for $150, and am very anxious to use it this coming season. Its 11', so its definitely more of a "use at the marina" dinghy than a lightweight unit for use as a tender. I'm hoping to get some kind of 4-8hp outboard for it, for hopefully under $500.

I'm thinking I'll strap it to the swim platform, but have it forward-facing with the stern of the dinghy dragging on the surface of the water. That way a portion of the platform is still usable for walking.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it will spend a lot of time in the sun, spend the extra money to get a hypalon inflatable. PVC just does not last.

I just moved up from an airdeck to a RIB. Best move I made.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    BD is right, PVC won't last as long.  That being said, I've had my PVC for 8 summers and got it brand new for under $500.  It is 8'6" with a 770lb & 9.9hp capacity.  Finally, this past winter I had to reglue a few seams.  I just used SailRite vinyl cement.  It was like 25-30 bucks, so we'll see how it goes but right now it really seems to look & hold pretty good! 

As far as keel, mine has a air keel that really helps it get more on top of the water (it will actually plane with just me and the 3.3hp!)

A dinghy really makes anchoring out more enjoyable!  it allows you to explore areas and get to land when needed.  Also allows you to anchor outside of towns without paying the marina fees.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I was down by West Marine yesterday and looked at the 9' hp floor(PHP-275). Looks nice and I know they go on sale quite often... But I've read a lot of bad reviews about West Marine's inflatables. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a lot of research
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Hypalon is definitely superior to PVC in strength and puncture resistance. However they cost at least twice as much. The Hypalon boats owned by my slipmates are not immune to UV and handling damage and many have slow leaks after just a few years of use and exposure. So my thinking is, buy the thicker stronger 1100 denier PVC and replace every 5 years, hopefully longer with better TLC. At $200 per year it's affordable for what you get.
    Based on my experience, seam leaks are a death sentence for an inflatable. The boat may be useable, but there will be at least a small air leak that will require frequent re-inflation hassles.
    RIBS are the ultimate, but having a smaller Rinker, weight and size are critical factors. The dinghy I'm ordering only weighs 53lbs thanks to its short length and high pressure floor. The limited payload is fine for what I use it for, tendering and zipping around the harbor, plus snorkeling at Catalina Island.
    Andy

• ljonesljones Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Above is what I did and I used Weaver Davits, a West Marine inflatable bottom diggy about the same width as my beam. EC300 with 10' 6' and I think the dingy is about 10' 3". I had to shift it a little to STBD because of where the tube seams are and the davit recessed pads in the swim step. I also had to make some mounting pads out of starboard because the davits are a little to big to set down in the swimstep pads. I can go 32 knots and its very stable and clears the spray. I don't think you can tow at that speed and I know its hard to back up. Down side is ladder cannot deploy with dingy attached.
    With two lines from over the dingy tubes to the canopy frame and two 6'x6' tarps the swimstep shower can be made semi private. Also I made a BBQ table/dingy engine mount that swings up and down and bolts on to the factory grab handle bar on the transom just above the swimstep pull out shower hose.

LJ
  • My_Dinghys_DinghyMy_Dinghys_Dinghy Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Doing a 25 year old Project Boat after a 35 year hiatus from boat ownership.
    Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.
  • PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I keep a 10' on the back of my 270. I thing a 8'6" dingy is to small for 2+ people
    I just ordered a Saturn SD290 from boatstogo.com.... I've been looking, hemming and hawing over this dinghy crap for WAY too long now! I was looking at Zodiacs, Mercury, Achilies, etc on defender.com. The prices were more than double and the reviews were just horrible. After searching and searching I came across the Saturn from boatstogo.com and started scouring forums for reviews.... All I found were good reviews, no complaints and happy customers with the amount of money they spent. It's definitely not hyphalon and I don't have any pipe dreams of passing it on to my grandchildren! I'll report back after I put some hours on it.... Wish me luck!!!
  • PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    i think you'll be happy with that choice. I keep mine covered while on the boat and not in use. I hear the quickest way to kill these things is the sun.
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Did you get the 9hp from West Marine for it?  Curious to see pictures once you get it hooked on.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    06Rinker270 - I bought a nice used 6hp Mercury. Boat was supposed to be delivered by FedEx yesterday, but had to run my son to LAX practice. 5 minutes after I left my house I got a text saying "unable to deliver, signature required". Hopefully I'll get it today!!
    I just scored me a 2-stroke 9.5hp on craigslist for $200! I havent started it yet (plan on trying today, didnt turn on outside water yet), but its really clean and supposedly just had a tune-up.

I had to replace a broken bolt that took some elbow grease, but definitely worth the $$ saved. These go for $400+ easily in good running condition.

Is that a Yugo?

Now this is what you should have got!
    Not a Yugo, but as old as some! It's a 68 Evinrude, made right here in the good ole USA.
    Got the dinghy today... Saturn SD290 9.5' HP air floor. I have to say.... Pretty excited about this, it's my first dink!!! Lol. The kids can't wait and the wife just rolls her eyes...  
    Is that a trolling motor? LOL
    In the background.... Yes, that's a trolling motor. I bought it yesterday for $40. It's a 34lb thrust Endura Minn Kota. I have a 12' freshwater bass boat that I will use it as a front trolling motor, just have to spin the head 180 deg.
    Handymans342 - Think I might have missed your joke.... You poking fun at the little 6hp Merc or did you spot the trolling motor in the background? Lol
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    How much did you get the Mercury for?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Got it for $660..
    Why does everyone think they need a gas motor for their dinghy? Will an electric motor not do the job? 
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Yes it would, but need to carry a good size battery then remove it for charging then re-installed it . Also need to remove  it when flipping the dinghy to store to .I would go for a gaz motor 
    Well you have to remove the motor and gas tank anyway.
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Most of the time the motor will stay on. And the small outboard engines have integral gas tank with a shut up system so gas don't leak.