Options

Crack in radar arch near base *PICS ADDED*

SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

(2001 310)... over the winter, my tarp collapsed and the bow collected ALOT of snow and ice... like up to the bow rail... the tarp must have put a lot of pressure on the arch and it cracked on the SB side near the base where it attaches to the boat.. The gap is probably 1/32" wide and about 2" long... there was small cracking there previously but its worse now

Is there a good way to fix this?

01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
Post edited by SeaHare on

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Could it be freeze damage instead of damage from the weight of the tarp?  

The second year I had my '03 342, a fitting on top of the radar arch started leaking water that would accumulate at the base of the arch on both sides.  The water froze and cracked the gelcoat because it was pushing out from inside the radar arch.  It was not a structural problem, so the dealer repaired the gelcoat by sanding and recoating.  They also drilled 1/8" drain holes to keep it from happening again.   It worked -- I had the boat another eight years with no further problems.

You said there were small cracks before.  That would be consistent with freeze damage.

Do you have drain holes?  If not, you might want to consider adding them on both sides.  
  • Options
    yes it is very plausible that it could be freeze damage. I do not have drain holes.. that may ne a good idea to add.. im just nervous now about it...  you think something like JB weld the crack, sand, paint/gelcoat, then drill drain holes would do the trick?
  • Options
    BTW, its not just cracked gel coat, the aluminum itself is cracked all the way thru
  • Options
    jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    The engineer in my says to weld it to maintain whats left of the structural integrity, but that may be overkill.  I'm sure someone on here has had this happen, would be curious to know how they approached it.  
  • Options
    welding came to my mind too... looking for more opinions... ill post pics tmrw too
  • Options
    If the damage is structural and requires welding, talk to your insurance agent.  It might be worth filing a claim.  

Also, find out how the water is entering the arch (if that's what happened).  Cable penetrations are a common culprit.  On most Rinkers, they just pack sealant around the hole where the cable enters the arch.  A better long-term solution is to use a cable fitting like this:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit--coax-cable-deck-fittings--P003_094_003_006

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that I have water coming in at the All Around light. The water comes in at the wire location and sealing it is a PITA. Fixing the leak is at the top of my list to fix this spring. The PO of my boat thought that it was coming in at the GPS and the Sat radio antenna. He smeared silicone around them and now it looks like crap. But, it is on top of the arch and I can't see it, so out of site, out of mind...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Definitely be nice to see some pictures.  I'm still thinking it is due to water freezing.  In my personal experience, I've seen this on more than a dozen different Rinkers.  I would definitely do as LaRea suggests and drill some holes and reseal anything tha is mounted on the arch.  I can't tell you to not do anything structurally, but I will say I've seen nothing done for many years with cracks the size you mentioned with no further issues.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Mines like that too. But much worse. Although I have not noticed the metal being cracked so bad. One of these years taking it off and refinishing will be a project. Very poor design the way it traps water in. This year I had to put some snaps in the arch for my new enclosure and water came pouring out of a hole that was 3/4 of the way up the arch. So there must be compartments in there that do not drain at all. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    Wow.  Well, at least you have drain holes now!  Speaking of which, is there any evidence of water coming out of the cracks?  
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Ouch!! I own a 2005 320 and the rear of the arch at the base is open. The caulk goes around about 80% of the base of the arch with the stern facing area open. Probably in order for it to drain. I am in NY and never had an issue. Your base looked like it was sealed up all around not letting the water to drain.
  • Options
    since the boat was completely covered, i assume there was water in it from the summer that eventually froze and cracked it.. ugh