Options

Mystery of leaky portlight in head solved.

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I was under the shrink wrap this weekend doing some more prep.  I decided to re-look at the leaky portlight in the head.  Last time I didn't notice the caps for 2 screws in the hinge.  Duh@me.  So I removed "all" the screws this time and the portlight fell right out.  On closer inspection I noticed there was NO seal of any kind.  No gasket, no caulk, nothing between the portlight and the fiberglass.   :#

So I think it's safe to say I found the cause of the leak.  The bigger questions is: How in the world did this portlight get installed without ANY kind of seal?

Think it's time to check on the portlights in the V berth.   :/

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Same reason they didn't tighten the engine mount screws on my port engine. Two out of six were tight and the rest were finger loose... had to remove the engine to get at them... I will take the port window problem any day...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you on my 342 the lack of caulk on the portlites eas impressive. lol. I rebedded all mine. Used almost a full 14oz tube per portlite to reseal them properly.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought you used tape?

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Butyl tape.  Buy a roll and you'll never caulk another window. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I plan to re-seal the static windows with Butyl tape.  For the portlights I'm planing to use 4200.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used tape on sealing my bow rails and hatches.  The portlites I caulked.  I did not use 4200 as it might be a one way trip if I ever had to get them out for some reason.

The trouble with the butyl tape on the portlites is the SS trim ring is really flexible and concaved in shape where it meets the hull.  Then you have to seal the insert to the SS trim ring too (the actual window frame insert).  No way to do it without somesort of caulk.

The hatches are perfect for butyl tape.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI