Options

Cleat and stansion screws on the 342 - help!!

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I have a number of screws on the deck that have to be backed out and sealed.  And I have heard that the nuts are floating.  I'll be darned if I can figure out where inside the cabin I'll need to cut headliner to access the screws.  Can some other poor soul who's done this shed a little light on my search?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Why would you cut the headliner... Under all those buttons are screws which can be removed.. Just pry the caps off and you will immediately see what I mean.
  • Options
    And that will expose the nuts for the stuff on the deck?

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited April 2015
    Nope - on the 342, you have to cut the upholstery.  One is inside the starboard locker.  All are a major PITA to reach.  I did two on the stbd side, and could not reach any on the port side.
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    The PITA part is that you have to cut away the stuff around the nut before you can even get a socket onto the nut.  There's no metal backing plate (a sore topic with some of the folks here).
  • Options
    Great, all my problems are on the port side. :(

• Options
    I emailed Rinker about the placement of the nuts but they do not have any diagrams or helpful information.  

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Stodge man... doesn't sound good. :(  I'm curious though.  Post pics if you end up tackling the job.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Rinker did not have any helpful information.

I can strap on the GoPro when I'm fighting with it.  Should make for a fun video.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what happened to my post on this.  I have done 3 rail mounts on the Port side: most aft and #2 and #3 from the bow (#3 requires removing the whole shelf system over the sink as it is behind the coffee maker).  The # 4 and #5 you will have to cut a hole in the head walls to get to them.  #1 at the bow you'll have to take apart the whole interior of the bow and cut a hole to get to it. 

Starboard side is my project in April.  You can get to most of these except the bow one again.  You have to cut the liner.  You can feel the fasteners thru the vinyl if you locate the mounts from the outside to the inside carefully. 

Next trick is repairing the vinyl...

There are just washers behind the nuts and they are totally slathered in caulk you have to scrape off.  pita  Backing plate would be nice but once you get into it it you can see why it was not done.  I suppose you could get something behind 2/3 screws if you tried but it will protrude into the cabin. 

Use butyl tape for resealing the mounts, not caulk. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Holy Cow!  I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.  That's major surgery.    :'(

• Options
    BD, you ignored my PM...

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    OMG!  Well.. I think I'll be paying someone to do this if that ever happens to my boat.  Sounds like I now know 2 people that will be experts so.... ;) Mine will be easy.. I promise   -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Did you guys have these loosen up or was the problem they leaked?  I suspect access on my 360 is no easier and fear the day I have to tackle this job. 
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Reading this makes me crazy. I have no doubt this repair is in my future and I am sick thinking about it. Sorry Stodge...that sucks. Wish I lived closer or I would come help you with it. Have u tried Al on his Facebook page...he may have some additional thoughts that could help. Although I am sure Diamond probably already nailed it as he is on top of his game.

Just hard to believe this wasn't thought through a little differently during the mfg process. Sucks big time.

Keep us updated
  • Options
    In my case I have "weeping" at the bolts where they go into the deck.  

I'll be removing the coffee maker as we don't use it, and a 1-way removal (destroying the plastic brackets that hold it in) is easier than taking the entire galley apart.  The space will become a cupboard.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have redone 3 of the port mounts, yes you have to cut the headliner, scrape away the caulk then unscrew them, they have washers only backing them.  The hard ones to get to are the mount nearest the bow and the two that line up at the aft side of the shower and the wall at the joint of the head and the kitchen sink wall.

You can feel where the nuts are if you measure to know where they mount and come through to the inside.

Adding a backing plate would be hard once you see how they are mounted and the area they come through.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI