Options

Spring launch with old gas

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
When I was buying the boat she was hauled out and winterized without the fuel system being properly treated.  I poured in additive but was not ran through.  I Think I may have some trouble starting next Friday.  This being the first time I spring commission myself, any advice is appreciated.  I will be changing oil after I get her started.  Anything to be done before I fire her up once I splash?  Thanks everyone. 
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Turn the key and find out... I'd give you north of 98% you're gonna be fine.  

If you're real concerned, and it sounds like you are, top off with ethanol free and as high an octane count you can find.. hedge that by adding additive that raises octane even more, and advertises in rands, not just marketing mumbo jumbo.  

Your fuel lines on the engine and south of the pump is pretty much sealed... water didn't make it in there, as its still likely holding pressure, but elements may have fallen and varnishes formed... I seriously doubt it though.  Even if it has, you can turn that through the engine until she fires, or even hedge that bet with some starter fluid... 

In short... Don't worry about it.. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Today's gas is awful. I would load up on seafoam fuel treatment and cross my fingers. Change those fuel filters too. You may want to disconnect the fuel line and run it off a tank with fresh gas heavily treated with seafoam. It should help clean out varnish if it exists.
  • Options
    Also with the way gas is today I would hope the previous owner ran treated gas whenever he ran the boat. And in that case you would be fine.
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I agree.  Dump a bottle of Seafoam in your tank now. Let it sit until you start her up next Friday.  Not a miracle cure.....well, actually I have found it to be one in the past.  It does really help.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I am going to but a bottle of Seafoam but unfortunately might not get to boat until the day of launch.  How much should I add?  Once I get the boat to start, should I run out all the old gas until I can top off with clean gas?  I am taking the boat from the marina I bought it at to my Marina in VA where it is ethanol free gas.

What should I do besides changing the filters and running some seafoam to help get rid of any damage that may have been done...varnish etc.  I have gone through a gas tank replacement and never ever ever want to go through that again.  

Update: previous owner said he put "blue stuff" in anytime he filled up but it sounds like the gas in the boat right now is very old...as in over a year.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Seafoam?  Freakin seriously?  Have fun with that. 
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Why not?  I a am not familiar with seafoam.  You think just add some octane additive?  Getting ethanol free gas into her right now might not be an option.  Where the boat is located its all ethanol.  
    Post edited by 06Rinker270 on
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Seafoam is a solvent.  It's magic and I love it as a product ingested through a vacuum port in the intake.. it smokes like a Hollywood smoke machine, but that is the nature of it.. when it clears, and after its done, valves sparkle, especially the back of them.. carbon deposits in the bowl/chamber are dislodged and pushed on through, intake runners are scrubbed... It's great for that... As an oil or fuel additive?  Nope.  Dump it in your tank to dislodge varnishes stationed there and in the lines.. let it attack the lining in your soft fuel lines with the oils in it.. it's not combustional, so it does nothing but destabilise the gasoline- and gasoline is all about stability and anticipatable ignition points, hence rand counts of octane.. octane makes fuel more inert, not more explosive.. well, it actually makes it more stable without reducing its stored energy, but that's for another thread I'd guess..

Seafoam doesn't bind with fuel... So, if you're at speed and operating closed loop, and the engine is advancing timing while all of the sudden a shot of seafoam passes through, you're engine will sound like its full of marbles with all the predetonation... One good predet could vent your pistons... A bunch of small predets can bend valve rods and crack valve seats and guides... 

A good gas additive usually doesn't have stupid flames and such on its label, and in the description they will mention increasing counts in entire rands, not just faulty promises... Insofar as the ethanol, get a bottle of starbright startron, and use it accordingly... There is no product available that counters ethanol like that stuff.  I could write out my specific and detailed experience with that, but I won't bore you any more... Startron works, and works very well. 
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @212rowboatappreciate it.  I will take your advice and get a bottle of starbright startron.  I added a bottle of this last November while the boat was on land but its just in tank, not lines. 

Back to seafoam, I would like to get the system a good cleaning as I do not know how well it was taken care of(although owner says it was properly treated).  When do you recommend I use to it avoid all the nasty side affects you mentioned above...bent rods and cracked valve seats.    

All very interesting stuff.  Thank you.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    You're marina ain't gonna appreciate it.. so.. I'd find anchorage away from others.. 

Get a bottle of seafoam, and a stretch of two feet or so of clear tubing.. on a vehicle I rec the brake booster vacuum line is removed and the tube for it stuck into the seafoam container, but these don't have those.. :)

On the bottom of your throttle body there are vacuum ports.. remove one and stick the other end of the one in your seafoam to that port... Start your engine and allow it to slowly ingest, under its own vacuum, the seafoam.. when you've got the bottle half gone, kill the engine and replace the original vacuum line.. toss back a beer and have a Sammy, as you need to wait at least twenty minutes while the solvent attacks the carbon. After time elapsed, fire then engine up and watch the smoke show... It'll be thick and white... It will go away before too long... After it does, use the next half of the bottle and repeat... 

If there isn't a lot of smoke, then there isn't a lot of carbon.. so.. no need to repeat. 

Afterwards, just head on home knowing your engine is cleaner... That simple.. seafoam is great for that, but not great as an additive to gas or oil... Check that... It's great for oil you're about to change.. add it, run to temperature, kill it, and drain it... works great, but beware: crud will be dislodged and it will find it's way to lifters.. lifters find every bit of trash in oil- fact... so.. avoid this if you can or if you don't know the condition inside that thing... If you owned it new and always took care of it, or if it's a rebuild you've just done, you can use seafoam in this manner all the time at every oil change interval... On an engine you don't know a lot about?... Up to you... But... I wouldn't.. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would listen to 212... He knows his stuff!!! I would never use seafoam and my mechanic doesn't recommend it either.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Greg.. :)
  • Options
    Sounds like you know your stuff.  Hopefully your first comment is correct and I have nothing to worry about.  Ill do the seafoam a little later on and do the starbright for now.  Any other tips with helping to reverse ethanal damage?

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    You're not going to reverse the evils of that crap.  Period.  Short of replacing parts, which is anything soft it comes into contact with, as it destroys it.   You can treat the fuel, though, and startron is the best product I know of that does so.  ethanol eaves a hard as nails film on all hard parts of encounters, and promotes the oxidation you'll see present on interior of fuel rails and pumps.  There isn't a lot that can be done after its there and set up.. breaking it loose, which there are chemical ways to do so, runs the risk of sending small hard debris through your fuel systems and clogging injector tips or filling up the little basket filters on them.. that isn't worth it..

What you can do for engine performance, is run a stouter coil or coil booster, jumping from 35kvdc to upwards of 60kvdc, which allows you to widen the gaps on the plugs to around .057~.060.. that provides a wider surface of spark to ignite the air to fuel load more uniformly and completely, which will allow better burn and response, albeit with higher exhaust gas temperatures.  A more uniform initial ignition and a hotter burn not only helps performance, but burns off archives from the fuel or anything that slipped past your air filter, making all cleaner and smoother.  It's **** near a must with ethanol laden fuel. 
  • Options
    Gents there are different kinds of sea foam. The fuel additive kind is great stuff. It treats 25 gallons a bottle.
  • Options
    Different packaging, same product, as far as the engine treatments go.  They have a transmission treatment and they have a bug be gone thingy going on.  They have spray cans and pour cans, but the junk inside is the same stuff, which is fantastic for cleaning how I outlined, but as far as additives, not only are there better products, but it is detrimental in that capacity. 
  • Options
    Speaking of different package but same product, I just notice the star tron has options of concentrate and non concentrate.  Anyone have an opinion of the two?  

Also should additive be added to non ethanol fuel?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I don't add anything to non ethanol gas.. it's good to go and what you're trying to approximate by treating ethanol fuel, imHo. 

Concentrated or not.. I prefer it concentrated so I can have one bottle pretty much last a season so its easier to keep up with.  

It doesn't do anything to help recreational (non ethanol) fuel, but it doesn't hurt it, either.. so.. Prevention>cure.  :smile: ) 
    Post edited by 212rowboat on
  • Options
    Good info 212. Thx. I sure wish they would provide more detail on the nature of these products. On the sea foam product it specifically calls out stabilizes fuel as well. Granted I typically use startron for stabilization but I also use seafoam once or twice a season as a fuel system cleaner with the assumption it was stabilizing my fuel as well.  Fortunately I have experienced no ill effects to my knowledge. 
  • Options
    I think I may add it for the first few fill ups this year to help clean things out.  Also do the seafoam through vacuum ports sometime soon.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I hear ya Craig.. I'm forever telling the wife ain't nuthin wrong with a fifth of bourbon four or five times a season.. same principle.. :) 
  • Options
    exactly.  Thanks for the input guys.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    mheitman23mheitman23 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    speaking of gas is paying for 91 octane instead of 87 just a waste of money?
  • Options
    speaking of gas is paying for 91 octane instead of 87 just a waste of money?
    Ehhhhhhh.. maybe. 

Octane is an expression of stability.. The higher the octane the more stable, which means less likely to detonate under compression or heat, and rely solely on spark, which is what you want.  

High octane is a requirement in high compression engine, because a predetonation on a really tightly crunched wad of air fuel would be catastrophic to a finely machined engine with tight tolorances.  These engines aren't that... They are low compression engines and solely so predetonation can't take them out.  well, as easily, anyway. 

The reason why predet is such a concern on water is because quality of fuel, and the likelihood of water infusion.  For this reason engines are controlled at a lower temperature via the thermostat thantheir road counterparts... They run richer, too, because more fuel (rich) is tougher to ignite than lean, which will almost detonate on its own.  remember we're burning air using fuel as the catalyst. 
    Not all, though. 

Your engine has knock sensors and computer controlled fuel trim and ignition timing.  When it reaches full operational temperature, it begins to use data from the sensors to run it instead of tables scripted on the computer. When it does that, it starts firing spark earlier and earlier, which equates to more use of the power stroke.  The sooner it's lit, the more robust the burn, not to mention, the cleaner.  Your advance will be greater the higher an octane the engine drinks, as it senses it can advance until a knock sensor reports.  

How much does it help?  Considerably, but whether it's worth it is up to you and your engine... I rec you experiment... Each engine is different. 

• Options
    Will we be able to tell or know a difference? What about 93?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Will we be able to tell or know a difference? What about 93?
    Doubt it... The higher you go the smoother it'll run.. things you may or may not notice is performance increases (not huge, but there) and slightly cooler running temps.  The purpose above any other is to limit or eliminate those predetonations..  
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    With a compression ratio on a 5.0 L at 9.4 :1 and 350 at 9:3 : 1 I don't think that high octane fuel is necessary . Specially if all sensors and computer are in good working order .
    Only my opinion.
    Paul.
  • Options
    ..... and it's even more twisted than just mechanical compression.

the advertised/spoken ratio may be 9.4/9.3:1, but that is somebody taking into account ONLY the displacement of the cylinder and the stroke of the piston... 

the REAL compression ratio that matters is 'dynamic compression'.. this takes into account the valve events... let's say you're 5.0 mechanical ratio is 9.4:1, and the piston is at bottom dead center, and it's next move is north in the compression stroke... the intake stroke just finished, well, almost finished- the valve isn't seated yet.. the valve isn't going to be seated until the piston has covered several degrees travel north, which lessens it's displacement and therefor it's actual compression... 

the valvetrain is actuated by the rockers which pivot under influence from valve rods which are pushed by lifters which roll on the lobes of a camshaft, right?  So, the camshaft geometry controls valve events... guess what marine engines have?  A camshaft that allows almost zero overlap of intake an exhaust valves (and that overlap event happens near top dead center of the pistons travel)- all so you can't suck water in from the exhaust side when the pressure inverts... 

I'm getting winded, again.... sorry.. bottom line: that 9.4/9.3:1 ratio mechanically, is actually closer to 8.1/8.2:1 dynamically.  Spark on a marine engine rarely advances beyond 20*.  Temperature on a marine engine is thermostatically controlled around 165~175*... Air to Fuel ratio is nowhere near stiochomoetric 14.7:1, as they are designed to run richer, or around 13.5:1 during closed loop operations.... every one of these are to disallow predetonation and build a safety margin, and because the engine has constant load on it at any engine speed, and because they hold a steady and consistent engine speed in most circumstances, which would make a predetonation a significant and catastrophic event. 
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Learn something again, so if the compression ratio dynamically is around 8.1/8.2 so we kind of don't need high octane fuel , while it won't do any harm it is not a necessity in our boats with stock engines ?
  • Options
    not necessary in perfect conditions... but... it sure helps if you buy a lot that will be sitting in the tanks a while, as it's more stable.... it's also capable of holding a decent rand count when the inevitable moisture and sediments sets in, as if it lowers from 93 to the equivalent of 87, let's say, it won't hurt anything, where as 87 falling the same point value to 81 WILL cause harm, without doubt.  It's less likely to chemically separate, as well...  running ethanol free recreational fuel with any rand count (at or above 87) is preferable, as it won't hold water (it separates cleanly and quickly) and it takes a long time to chemically separate/stale.

if you're running your engine a lot?  no worries... 87 is fine.