Options

What upgrades do you have planned for your Rinker this year?

mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

I just picked up an 800 watt Polk amp that I'll be installing as soon as this snow stops!!  Also planning on doing the official (proper) renaming ceremony.  Also adding XM Satellite Radio.

Oh, and making a few Owners Club decals for the hull.

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
2019 MTX20 Extreme

Post edited by mvn on

Comments

• Options
    onebadRinkeronebadRinker Member Posts: 5

I just picked up a 1991 Captiva 206, I had a 1978 Cobalt 190 DV so this is going to be a different boat all around...shallower deadrise and less engine in the Rinker.  Hoping to purchase a Merc 320 EFI setup from a seller on Offshoreonly to boost the ponies back to where I was at with the Cobalt.  I spent a ton of money on that engine and just don't want to do that again (at this time).  I currently have a 350 Mag in the boat but cant get it in the water untill I get the Gimbal bearing replaced.  Hoping to get a baseline speed of 55mph in stock form with the shallower deadrise in the hull.  For me, loosing a race on the water is devistating!!!

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    I am about to do a massive upgrade.  We are having our favorite boat of all time our 2006 342 shipped from the east coast of Florida back to our home port on Florida's west Coast.  The Volvo XDP drives are both failing, each for its own reason so the big truck is the only way to get her back.  Ocean X drives with anticipated help from Volvo will make this fine boat into the great boat it should have been since she was built.

I maintained and babied these inferior drives to the max but ultimately the max was not enough. 

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    First thing is to wash all the pollen off and hope it made the winter I need to re do the sound system. :)>-

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    clarkbarclarkbar Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I was thinking of a sound system upgrade as well, along with a new cooking grill!
    If I have any money left, than maybe carpet also.
    $-)
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    New house batteries........

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine are mainly focused around fishing. A new HDS fish finder, a smart troll unit, new rod holders, a mercruiser smart gauge, and an under swim platform light. Fixing a broken radio and shore power volt meter.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Finally getting bottom paint! Couldn't face another year of cleaning off a season's worth of scum.
  • Options
    kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    I'm taking out the couch in the aft cab of my 09 340. Already purchased a full xl mattress which is 6" narrower than a queen & will fit in the space perfect. I just have to build a platform to support the middle. I don't understand why they build the boats with a couch down there - most of the area doesn't even have headroom above to be able to sit up & it's very uncomfortable to sleep on when pulled out. I'm looking forward to a regular mattress that I can get regular sheets for.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

Tony, I take it you were starting your loop when all this happened??  Still planning on coming thru this year?

As far as on topic, I did a couple small things over the winter such as connecting MMSI on the VHF to my GPS, added a small inverter for a better blender (12 V didn't get it)...hmm, I guess that is it for now.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    She CaptainShe Captain Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    A big decision was made this winter to upgrade our current Rinker instead of buying a newer one. So we have been busy with the upgrades this spring. New foam mattress for the front berth, cockpit carpet, exterior cable tv jack, new VHF radio and GPS going in next week. Custom camper top is being made in the fall. Oh and the cabin boy wanted underwater LED's (it's got to be a guy thing)!  I guess I need to mention, I really love my Rinker! LOL.. 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need to replace the upper steering pin and seal in the bravo 3. Not looking forward to the whole project but Im glad to have a fine group Of rinker guys back together who've been through that whole issue.

Dont use a water heater too much down here but its time to get it back online.

And looking at partsmans flooring, I now have a new project. Hope youll post your experince with that beautiful floor. Carpet is just wrong in a Tikihut.
    Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

I bought the flooring from www.plasteak.com they are pretty much at every boat show.

• Options
    sunrnr33sunrnr33 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Finishing all the basic maint., inspections and tune-up, new bottom paint, and installing the new bimini frame and all new canvas from TJ.........new frame 'cause Rinker thought it would be fun to have 2 different frames for one year of boat............and there's only replacements for one style!!!  Not much to upgrade on a 272 Captiva, it's a great boat!!!
  • Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
     I tried to keep the upgrades under control this year. I added a 3M whole vehicle water filter, peek a boo shades for the vee berth and head port windows, and changed the courtesy and radar arch lights to Lumitec 3 color led lights.
     My boats been in the water for just under a month now, the cabin fridge was giving me problems the last half of last season. Well it quit for good last week and my buddy in the dock next to me also had a cabin fridge quit. I was able to get the fridge out in pieces last night and should get the new fridge tomorrow. Anybody have any experience or helpful tips for getting the new fridge back in the cabin of a 342. I have a feeling this is going to get ugly.
     Thanks, Jerry
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resealing my bow hatches..using butyl tape for the 1st time!  2/3 done, amazing I didn't have leaks with the foam gasket stuff.  Hoping to work on the bow rail to re-seal it too.  Just a matter of how to get to some of the fasterers

:-/

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Update......the new fridge is in.Took some work but it's in and keeping everything cold. Had to remove the cabin door, the rubber trim piece around the door opening,the stairs, and the fridge door. 
    Everything is good again the cabin fridge has all the admirals essentials and the cockpit fridge is filled to the brim with my essentials. (beer)
  • Options
    holscher2438holscher2438 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Not too much this year but I added a pedestal mount for my grill, a fender rack, and SS cupholders.
    Y Knot?
  • Options

Dream---Yes we started the loop March 30 and it ended at Titusville April 17 when we discovered the extent of our XDP problems.  We made the decision to truck the boat back to her home.  This happened April 23.

The upside was that we got really great services and advice in Titusville plus the fact that the overland route was almost straight west across the narrow part of the state.  The guy the Titusville folks recommended to haul the boat across the state was simply terrific.  I would recommend him for any trucking of boats.  I have many videos (all short clips) of the entire 3+ weeks of our trip.  One of the interesting ones was taken when, just by chance, we overtook our trucker with our boat aboard on I-4.

His name is Tom Wagner of Wagner Trucking.  He lives in Tarpon  Springs, FL

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options

Upgrades besides the new OceanX's and the new 300 hp 5.7's will be a freshly cleaned and painted engine space.  Also Dri-Dek under the generator.  And a new Isotherm CR 130 galley fridge. 

Hopefully the new fridge will solve all the problems we experienced since day one with the Tundra, not all of which was the fault of the Tundra.  But new and different will be much better and will change for the better the dynamics of the conversations my admiral and I often had at dinner time!

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I like the idea of Dri-Dek under the genny!  I've often thought about that and under the water heater.  I get rain water in on that side and it sits in it a little.  I'm drying it each time I'm down there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Finally installed the Polk amp and XM radio.   Sounds awesome! 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Replaced the cheap white cupholders in the side compartments with stainless ones to match the rest on the boat.   What were you thinking Rinker! ;-) 

Mark
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Al, installed the 309 last year and really love it ( same thing for the USB and my last clarion just decided to stop working)  make sure you pay attention to the all the settings.  They are not easy to figure out like most head units.  I installed it at the end of last season and was not impressed with the sound quality through the USB port. Changed a couple non stereotypical (no pun intended) settings this year and it sounds 2x better then the last clarion unit I had.  Actually had to read and reread the operating instructions.  I know you are way more tech savvy than I am but just figured I would give you the heads up.  

• Options
    Bat32,

The M309 has a cool feature that digitally enhances overly compressed MP3 files.   It does a great job.   You may also want to use better quality MP3 files as well. 

Mark
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    All my projects and upgrades are done... good feeling but miss having projects to look forward too. I guess its time to just sit back and have a beer !

LG
  • Options

If this works, it will be a photo of my new OceanX's

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options

Before she launches.  One more thing, my admiral is giving me a Father's Day-Birthday-Christmas Gift.  A fresh coat of bottom paint.  So she will really be looking good in a few days.

Tony

• Options
    edited June 2013

Before she launches.  One more thing, my admiral is giving me a Father's Day-Birthday-Christmas Gift.  A fresh coat of bottom paint.  So she will really be looking good in a few days.

Tony

But what about bottom paint for the boat??!?  ;)

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    edited June 2013

Oh yes, about the boat.  It will be looking good too!

Tony