Options

Outlets not working

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Everything works but the outlets.  Switch is on and I have hit reset button.  New to me boat so I am still figuring things out.  Don't know where the fuse box is! Thanks guys. 
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    You're saying you've turned on the "Outlets" switch on the main AC/DC breaker panel, down in the cabin?  There's no fuse other than that breaker switch.  

It could be either a failed outlet or a failed breaker.  Do you have a multi-meter?  Take off the outlet cover plate and see if there's power coming to the outlet. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a silly question but Are you plugged into shore power or have the genny running? On my 270 I had a bad outlet I had to replace. Is there a gfi on any of the outlets? If it's that outlet that's bad none of them will work.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    There is one GFCI plug inline on the outlet circuit. It is the first one, but could be located anywhere. Find it and reset it. Just like @craigswardmtb stated above, if it is bad, none of the outlets will work. Be sure the outlet breaker is also turned on.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, follow advice above, it is likely a GFCI plug is tripped.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I am referring to the AC/DC panel and there is an outlet located on the panel with a GFCI.  I tried resetting and the button "clicked" but nothing.  I am on shore power and none of the outlets work.  Outlet breaker is on.  I will use a multi-meter this weekend to see if they are getting power.  I guess this sounds like the GFCI is not functioning properly?  Thanks everyone for the input. 

Found this on great lakes skipper website.
    http://greatlakesskipper.com/leviton-7599-e-black-20a-125v-60hz-ground-fault-boat-gfci-receptacle-w-wall-plate.  
    Post edited by 06Rinker270 on
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    GFCI may be faulty. Or you may have a 2nd GFCI plug.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Will a multi meter test on the GFCI outlet tell me if its faulty or only replacing it will be the true test?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    You need to see if your live on the connections to the switch.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    No luck on finding a second GFCI and have not been able to test with a meter yet but will this weekend.  I love how many 12v cigarette lighters there are, helps with the situation.  Does anyone know what this switch is for?  It is next to the outlet below the sink on the deck.  

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    AC power disconnect.  Before you unplug your shore power cord, flip the switch off to make sure there's no juice flowing through the system.  That will keep you from scorching the contacts on your power cord.  
  • Options
    There is one on the electric panel and below the sink?  I always shut off the breaker on the panel before unplugging but I need to check both now.  Is it just for easy access so I dont have to walk 3 more steps to electric panel? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a GFI outlet in the engine room too
  • Options
    Yes, those are shore power disconnection switches. If you have 2 shore power connectors, there should be 2 switches, one for each. These should be off when you are connecting or disconnecting your cable. Before you connect a cable, make sure it is off, and the shore power selector switch is on the right setting. After the cable is intact, you can switch the appropriate one on. Then you go to your breaker board, and switch the 110V mains on.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkB said:
    Yes, those are shore power disconnection switches. If you have 2 shore power connectors, there should be 2 switches, one for each. These should be off when you are connecting or disconnecting your cable. Before you connect a cable, make sure it is off, and the shore power selector switch is on the right setting. After the cable is intact, you can switch the appropriate one on. Then you go to your breaker board, and switch the 110V mains on.
    Interesting.  I do have two shore power connectors but the starboard side was not on, I bet it was because the switch below the sink was off.  And the port side one would be on the panel?  I dont see another switch.  I also dont think I have a shore power selector switch...thank you I really appreciate it.    
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    There is a GFI outlet in the engine room too
    There is?  I will have to look, maybe that is my issue.  I have not seen one before.  Thank you.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    GFCI outlets are not ignition-protected.  I can't imagine Rinker would install one in the engine room on a gas boat.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I do not have one in my engine room on my boat....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Does anyone with a similar 270 know if there is a second GFCI on the boat?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    The disconnect that is under the sink is for the shore power that is on the starboard side of the boat. The one for the panel is for the port side. According to NMMA the AC cutoff has to be within a certain footage from the shorepower plug. That is why it is in an odd place.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I have one and thats where the battery charger plugs in to. Maybe the PO installed it but it is hooked to the original romex. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    My charger is wired directly.  In a previous boat I had to switch chargers and ended up putting in a waterproof electric junction box for the wiring to a new charger.  A plug seems like a bad idea down there.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    That's because the PO cheaped out on replacing the charger. I highly doubt that set up is Coast Guard approved. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    @explore7425 is probably right - a non-marine charger.  @Handymans342, you should take a close look at that setup.  If you ever have a fire, a non-marine charger could be an easy way for the insurance company to deny payment. 

The safety issue is that when a GFCI trips, it can create a spark.  I'd replace that GFCI with a regular non-GFCI outlet, and put the GFCI on one of the other outlets (cockpit or cabin).  Better yet, hard-wire the charger and get rid of the outlet.
  • Options
    The disconnect that is under the sink is for the shore power that is on the starboard side of the boat. The one for the panel is for the port side. According to NMMA the AC cutoff has to be within a certain footage from the shorepower plug. That is why it is in an odd place.
    Great to know thank you for the help.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I am not worried about fumes and I have a marine rated charger. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Its not the charger you should be worried about. Its the spark the GFCI causes that could be a problem.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    @Handymans342, I stand corrected:  ABYC does not recommend against "pre-wired battery chargers" plugged into a receptacle, as your boat has.  They only specify that the receptacle must be at least two feet away from the fuel inlet.  (It would be a good idea to move the GFCI out of your engine room if possible.)

@06Rinker270, sorry for hijacking your thread.  Did you find a GFCI in your engine room?
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I see nothing good about having an outlet in the bilge GFCI or otherwise. Pre-wired chargers are less than half the price of hard wired chargers. I am not sure why but thats just the way it is. That is the only reason people do it. 

My boat was built with a disconnect on the hot water heater (It basically looked like the heater was plugged into an extension cord). I had a hose come off on my starboard engine and it shot antifreeze around the bilge. It seemed like things were pretty dried out. I turned on the generator for showers and such. That thing shorted out and caused the wire to burn up. I had to run a new wire from the box to the heater. 

Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    @Handymans342, I stand corrected:  ABYC does not recommend against "pre-wired battery chargers" plugged into a receptacle, as your boat has.  They only specify that the receptacle must be at least two feet away from the fuel inlet.  (It would be a good idea to move the GFCI out of your engine room if possible.)

@06Rinker270, sorry for hijacking your thread.  Did you find a GFCI in your engine room?
    No worries LaRea, I enjoying reading all of it.  I will be looking this weekend.  I am going to search high and low for a second GFCI before I replace the one on my panel.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Diesel fumes do not explode Ray