Poli-Glow

DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

So I decided to go the Poli-Clean / Poli-Glow route this year....We'll see how it holds up.

This is after Poli-Clean

6 Coats of Poli-Glow later.....It's a GREAT shine. I hope it holds up

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342

Comments

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Here's a reflection of my wood pile, ladder and power cord off the side of the boat.

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job, man!!!!  I just went the McGuire route... Hoping it'll hold up, too. 
  • golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
  • GonesailingGonesailing Member Posts: 7
    I used poli-glow on my sailboat for 10 years and it held up very well. And as you have noticed, the more you coat it, the better it shines.
    So just a quick update....I'll take pics when I haul the boat out in October
    The shine dulled a bit but pretty much lasted all summer long with no sign of oxidation. The only drawback is that this is a sealer and bumpers constantly rubbing against it will wear it off and make some marks. That really is no big deal, I just lightly rubbed the area with a light scotch bright pad and Poli-Clean and then just locally applied a couple of coats of  Poli-Glow. I did this while at a sandbar and with about 10-15 minutes of labor.......a LOT less time than having to rewax.

Next year, I'll use the Poli-Strip and strip it all off, do a better job of prepping and redo the Poli-Glow.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Maybe covers (nice cloth ones) on your fenders would help?  I've bought some for my fenders about 6 or 7 years ago and they are still holding up well after many uses.  Nice to hear it worked pretty well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Boat is back on the hard and here is what it looks like......pretty impressed with this stuff. Like I said earlier, the only thing that I've done to it is a bit of touchup near the stern on both sided due to scuff marks from hanging bumpers. Certainly much less maintenance than gel coat..

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    That is actually quite impressive! 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Looks awesome............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice! I had to buff mine out from years of miss use and not being taken care of...I used 3M combo wax for heavy oxidized and then followed up with another coat of was but can't remember the name- it was recommended on the site here and is in a tin like auto wax...was kind of expensive. It seems to have held up pretty well but getting ready to do it all again. Since it was such a big project the first time hopefully the 2nd time I will get the spots that needed some better care. The colored hulls sure look nice which mine is tan- if it were all white I suppose you can get away with a little more dull without really looking that bad...I love the colored hulls!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, was the product Collinite 885?
    2008 330EC
  • pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    I use the Collinite wax, I am going to try the Poli Glow this spring...........................

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

pepmyster said:
    I use the Collinite wax, I am going to try the Poli Glow this spring...........................
    Preparation is key!!!! Do your research and spend the time to prep right. If you do, you'll love the results

That I will. going to the Toronto Boat Show ( as usual) and will talk to the rep there.

Sooooooooooo..........Your recommendations? Trustworthy??????

I'm not convinced yet. I'm still a carnuba wax guy. Rub it on by hand, take it off by hand, rinse all summer with soft water and a soft clean brush and once in awhile wash with a very, very low-detergent soap (.....like Johnson's No More Tears). Stay ahead of oxidization by waxing as needed. Try to avoid cutters/compounding and heavy buffing. Fingers crossed that I'll never need it -  but - imo most of the fantastic responses are on boats that have been neglected by the owner and anything is a Hail Mary improvement!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preventative maintenance is the key to avoiding hard work and expensive bills. No doubt there.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will see AL. My blue Gel Coat is being wet sanded, buffed and everything now. $700
    No doubt that the previous owners of my boat did not really take care of the gel coat, however, in order for me to get it back to its new luster, it would require lots of work and a couple of waxings throughout the summer. So instead, I put lots of work into it to pre,p and hardly any maintenance during the summer. It has held up tremendously well and I'm sold on the Poli-Glow products.....I will continue to use it.

If I ever get a new boat, I will coat it with Poli-glow right from the start!
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Dan,
    poli-glow is not recommended on a new boat according to their website.
    So this year I used Poli-Strip to remove the old stuff and then used Poli-Ox to clean the areas that I did not do so well with last year. I then replaced my worn out gold leaf boot stripe and applied about 6 coats of Poli-Glow.....I'm happy with the results!!

• Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

DanD2

I need to research Poli products for my boat, but what is involved to get where you are? Buffer or by hand? Everyone is looking for easy shine and last long.

I have a friend with another brand boat that has a red hull and is badly oxidized. I want to share with him how to solve his problems from a great forum like this one.

Thanks

Rob

@Robs_232 , the key to Poli-Glow is the prep. This is a sealer and if the surface is not prepped good, as in black streaks on white gel coat, it will seal over it and will still show. If a hull is badly oxidized, you need to use the Poli-Strip first and then use the Poli-Ox if the oxidation does not come out. This work is all done by hand :/ . It is a lot of work but it lasted ALL summer long. I had to touch up a couple of spots during the summer due to hard fender rubs but it was pretty easy and quick.
    @DD2....like most things in life hard work often has to be done by hand but pays off. Good for you, better for your boat! Beautiful results!
  • Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

DanD2,

Thanks for the feedback. Some are saying to get a electric polisher/buffer to restore gel coat. I was also told to get a random orbital Sh**hold and use their products. Too many opinions on this subject. I have always used Maquire's boat wax by hand and have had good results, but I like what you have done and the results.

Even though my boat doesn't have the oxidation, like my friends red hull, I like what you have shown. I will look into the Poli-Glow on their website.

Rob

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

You can use the sealer type products like Poli Glow and Island Girl if that suits your needs.  Or you can do the more traditional compounding, polishing, waxing with a buffer.  I have the Shurhold orbital buffer which I previously used on my white hulled boat and it seemed to work fine.  Now if you have a colored hull that is badly oxidized it will not cut it.  Best bet is to go buy a true buffer, which is what I did after lots of frustration using that Shurhold to buff my blue 360 for the first time.  It looked good at first but you could not apply enough pressure to really get at the oxidation.  Dewalt, Makita and others make good ones.  Don't fall for the cheapo autozone or walmart specials.  They don't spin fast enough or have enough power to spin under any pressure.  Harbor Freight actually make a decent one that won't break the bank.  I went for the Dewalt and it works great.

Like you said, lots of opinions on this topic.  I did a lot of research on boat forums and car detailing forums and went with the below process.

Step 1:  Wash the boat with dawn soap or another aggressive type soap that will get all the contaminants or old wax off of it.

Step 2:  Get an aggressive cutting compound such Presta Super Cut compound.  I tried Buff Magic and others and they never worked nearly as well as Presta.  People say 3m makes a good cutting compound as well.  Use a wool pad and do small sections at a time.  The cutting compound will start off very course and break down as you buff leaving a nice polished finish.  Once done assess if you need to do another round of compound.  If not wipe it down with a microfiber.  The cutting compound makes quite the mess.  Don't freak the first time you look at the wool pad as it will likely have the color of your boat on it.  That means its doing its job.  Make sure you debur and mist wool pad as you go.

Step 3:  Use a polish.  I use Starbrite with PTEF.  Picking a polish is more personal preference in my mind as there are lots of good ones out there, unlike compounds.  Use a foam pad on your buffer and apply.  This goes a lot faster than compounding.  Once done wipe off the polish with a microfiber.  I usually do the hull in quarters before going back and wiping with a microfiber.

Step 4:  Use a marine wax.  This is up to you but many are satisfied with the results after polishing.  The boat is thoroughly protected at this point but you can give it that little bit more of protection and a deeper shine with wax.  In salt water wax comes off pretty darn fast in my opinion.  At least the ones I have tried.

Step 5:  Skip all of the above steps and wrap your boat in a marine grade vinyl or if you have the coin paint it with awlgrip.

,,,,,OR - wash boat with soft water once a week - just a fast "pre" spray of the soft water onto the boat to loosen contaminants so as not to brush them INTO the gel coat.....just a gentle brushing and spraying with the softest brush possible.

Rinse that off and then hand towel dry, carefully....this should be a fun bikini and beer type job. 

If more is required, like you have to get acid rain and air/water borne contaminant streaks off, use Johnson's No More Tears Baby Shampoo or another "non-stripping"  very gental soap.

Rinse this soap off (again) with soft water and hand dry carefully.

when deciding to wax - wax by hand with Meguiars Flag Ship Marine carnuba wax. Constantly change the waxing pad (we use cheap white face towels from Walmart) so that we can see if they are becoming contaminated and change to a new face of the face cloth.

P.S. We keep an eye on the colored hull sides and white top sides and do spot touch ups as needed throughout the summer.

The worst offence most hull preppers do is to wax contaminants INTO the gel coat...the NUMBER ONE mistake by ALL polishers, no matter HOW they polish - by hand, battery drill, 110v polisher.***** IF you polish in contaminated wax you are SCREW*ING your gel coat over and over again. Soon you will be polishing chalk.

We hand buff the wax off changing our buffing towels often.

I have had black hulled boats for 5 years they all look factory new by following the above plus:

My NUMBER ONE TRICK:

What NOT to do.... Want to kill your gel coat in 2 years? Then, let the acid rain and contaminants streak it in the summer or Fall while it's waiting to be put away for storage......Then let  those gel coat  "killers" sit on and penetrate your gel coat all winter. Then in the Spring you look at that unholy mess and get out the cutting compound and other gel coat destroyers and go at the poor micro thin gel coat! Baaaaad! Boys!

What TO do.... DO your cleaning and Waxing in the .....ready for this .....the FALL.....BEFORE, BEFORE, BEFORE you put the boat up for the winter.

PLEASE Don't leave contaminants to penetrate and sink into your gel coat ALL WINTER LONG and mar it, probably forever

IN THE FALL:....To safe guard your gel coat's longevity, pre rinse with soft water, then rinse again with soft water and scrub with a very soft brush using a "soap" like Johnson's NMT. rinse again then hand dry then let the hull air dry for a few hours. A sunny slightly windy day (no dust) is great.

Use a quality carnuba wax, like Meguiars Flagship Wax (I love its oils and its penetration of the gel coat pores)

Apply it liberally let it sit to soak in, then hand buff with constantly rotated frtesh towels.

You've seen pictures of my black hulls. I've had black hulls dating back over 5 years now. All are still gleaming black, better than oem, imo.

When people saw our all black hull 2013 Rinker EC 310 and our all black hull 2014 Rinker EC360 parked at various marinas the last three years, we got two rapid fire comments. That boat is beautiful and that is the most beautiful black hull I have ever seen.

That's it, bed time, I'm done!

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Good advice from MT once your gel coat is in good shape.  If its not you have little choice but to break out the compound or even wet sand.  Once your gel coat oxidizes it is hard to ever get back the original luster.
    @shawnmjr. I have heard of guys using clay bars and who swore by them but I can not offer advice on this as I have not used them myself or directly seen the results for myself. I think some of the guys discussed this in the past....maybe someone will speak-up?!