Options

Poli-Glow

124»

Comments

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    @reneechris14 This is my 2nd year using Poli-Glow and as I've stated before, I'm completely sold on it. I don't currently have a pic of it on the hard but will get one this weekend. Just as it did last year, my black boat held up very well.
    I will continue to use it but next year, if time permits, I plan on stripping the Poli-Glow, wet sanding and then re-applying Poli-Glow. I want to wet sand as I have a lot of underlying imperfections.
    Someone might ask, well if you're going to wet sand, why don't you just give it a good compound and wax after???? Simple answer......Poli-Glow in the spring and you don't have to touch it ALL summer long. Maybe a touch up here or there if you get obsessive fender rubs.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DanD2 I feel the same way could get a deeper shine plus fix small errors. Mine did hold up ok with just the wax from the spring time. I'll post some pics Saturday. It is already wrapped.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    coverguycoverguy Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    My ears are ringing!!!! Yes, Fisher Canvas uses a lighter material now for winter storage covers. There is also an even lighter material called Weathermax that he uses for more of an every week cover. We have a pattern for some Rinkers on file and if close enough (Maryland - Conn) we will come out and measure the boat for free. 
    Darren Fitzgerald
    darren@pmwinterboatcovers.com
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    www.pmwinterboatcovers.com
    OEM Rinker Canvas
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod

His brother (Fisher's brother) also sells covers that are much cheaper and not quite the material of the Fisher canvas covers, but do a pretty good job.  Last year about 8-9 boats on my dock with it and are very happy. 

I had a custom one made about 5 years ago by a canvas shop out of stamoid light material and really like it.  It should hold up another 15 years or so! :)  It weighs about half of what my Fisher cover did for my 310.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    coverguycoverguy Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I have the Fisher Winter Storage Cover in the new lighter material coming in at $2391 - 10% discount = $2152.00, plus shipping. Email me if interested. We are at 4-6 weeks for delivery right now. darren@pmwinterboatcovers.com

Darren Fitzgerald
    darren@pmwinterboatcovers.com
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    www.pmwinterboatcovers.com
    OEM Rinker Canvas
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Hey, so, how hard is it to put the Fischer cover on/off? Is it a winter-only thing, or could I use it during the week?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, so, how hard is it to put the Fischer cover on/off? Is it a winter-only thing, or could I use it during the week?
    It is a winter thing for me. I have a frame that I built out of PVC pipe. Since my cover is the heavier duck canvas, it takes two people to put it on. If you got the lighter cover, you could use it during the week if you were trailering the boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    ...If you got the lighter cover, you could use it during the week if you were trailering the boat.
    Anyone on here with the lighter cover do this? What kind of frame is required? I have the radar arch as well, thought I'd mention that.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still need a frame for the lighter one. Here is what I built. I used 1" and 2" PVC to put it together.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    So spring is here and work on the boat has commenced!!! One of the items on the agenda is to strip the Poli Glow, wet sand and then re-apply....here's a video of the stripping process on one side....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq72qIRFARs&t=13s
  • Options
    Bringing this back to life.....you guys know that I'm a big fan of the Poli-Glow product....here's why.
    This past spring, prior to splashing, I washed the boat and applied about 4 coats of Poli-Glow. With the exception of a couple of wash downs while at a sandbar, I never touched  the boat through out the summer. Had it delivered home this past Thursday and today I washed it with OrPine and the pics below shows what the boat looks like.....almost as shiny as the day it splashed.

Trying to get a head start for next spring so I applied a couple more coats of Poli-Glow.....Man, just love that shine.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks great all that prep work realy payed off. Will take me 4 hours at least to my back to that. I will post pics next week when my 342 comes home just a couple coats of wax in the spring.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan, now that you got that done.....check the bearings on the sled trailer.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattie said:
    Dan, now that you got that done.....check the bearings on the sled trailer.
    LOL......I will check them but they should be fine, I bought that this past March.
  • Options
    Autodog61Autodog61 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

@DanD2

I see you store your boat out of the water (presumably for winter).  Wondering, how you move it (professional or with a trailer you own) and how far you are from the haul out location.  I have trailered boats up to 30 foot and 9 foot beam (triple axle, F350) but my 342 is just too big (12 foot beam, radar arch, etc) for moving from haul out 15 miles to home over public roads without SIGNIFICANT upgrades to tow equipment and permitting.  Wondering how you move your 342 (and lift off trailer onto block/stands too) -Some trick out there I am missing or are you 1 mile from haul out with no bridges and high traffic roads? 

BTW - Yes, nice gelcoat maintenance.  I am more of the continuous cleaning and collinite but will likely try this Poli-glo at some point on my 342.  

Holy Smokes, don't forget the bilge plug!
  • Options
    @Autodog61 , I am about an hour away from my Marina an I have them haul it home with their hydraulic trailer.

Word of caution on Poli-Glo. It is like a floor sealant and once applied, it seals everything in so the prep prior is very important. Once you've applied it, the only way to get back to waxing is to strip it with Poli-Strip.
    I like it because you apply in the spring and never have to worry about it throughout the summer. I've never been able to find a wax that lasts all summer, not a big deal with a boat on a trailer as you can wax at any time throughout. A 342 sitting in the water is not that easy to wax. It's not for everyone but it works for me.