Options

Generator - Wont turn OFF

jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
Anyone experience the generator NOT turning off??

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    You mean you push the remote off switch and it still runs, so you have to go in the engine room to turn it off?  Or are you saying that you turn it off and the engine continues "dieseling"?

Dieseling for a few seconds is a concern because it probably means you're overheated.  Dieseling that lasts 20 minutes will destroy the engine, and I state that from direct experience.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch how you disrespect that Diesel word LaRea  ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, I had to go into the Engine room and kill it.  Hitting the switch did nothing.  Started right up.  Im not  diesel though...
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah, I think the same thing.  Will switch that first and see what happens. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's usually the other way around, would rather deal with this problem!
  • Options
    Easy test with an ohm meter first.
  • Options
    Haha....seriously.  It started up for the first time this season without a hitch.  Never seen it NOT wanna stop before.
  • Options
    CrewLoungeCrewLounge Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Check the cannon plug on the black control box on top of the genie. May be a bad connection
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can't figure this out, you do realize that thing is worth a fortune, right?  I know plenty of people who would kill for that particular genny problem. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Yeah, I figured your genny is gas ... dieseling happens on gas engines. Cut power and the engine keeps running.  212rowboat could probably explain the details better than I could. But I agree this sounds like a switch problem, not dieseling.
  • Options
    any ol' rocker switch replacement, or should I be looking for a certain replacement?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    ok, I know this may sound very silly, but...when you hit the rocker switch on, you push the top of the switch.  Now, again, when you turn it off, you should be hitting the top of the rocker switch.  (not the bottom)  I know you are new to boating, but hey, it is the beginning of the season and let's just say I've done it before.  Cause if that switch is turning it on, it should be turning it off as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I'll second the connection plug at the AC inverter on top of the genny. Mine corroded and the red wire pulled away from the plug. This yielded the opposite of what you have. The rocker switch in the cabin would not start it but would shut it down. Check the black or yellow wires on that inverter plug. 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'll second the connection plug at the AC inverter on top of the genny. Mine corroded and the red wire pulled away from the plug. This yielded the opposite of what you have. The rocker switch in the cabin would not start it but would shut it down. Check the black or yellow wires on that inverter plug. 
    I wanted to correct this statement. I finally got to fixing my starting issue. My genny starts fine at the generator but would not start at the switch in the cabin. On inspection I found the red wire pulled out of the plug on the side of the controller. I assumed this was my issue. Well after fixing the pulled wire today it did not fix my remote start issue. It will shut down at the remote switch but won't fire.  After some research it turns out that plug goes into the voltage regulator. With that disconnected red wire does that mean the genny was not charging my battery? So what do you all think, a bad switch in the cabin?
  • Options
    FYI the remote start plug is actually on the back of the controller.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @jhorta did you solve this?? Seems like you haven’t been around in a while...
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay