Options

Help with fuel consumption

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
Good Morning. We take delivery of our 342 next weekend and are taking it 150 miles or so to our marina via the Atlantic ocean. We have a 245 gallon tank I believe and have the twin Merc 5.7's. I am wondering how much fuel we will burn on this voyage running at maybe 60 or 70% power? I thought I read the boat does about 1.3 miles per gallon, this would be 195 gallons I believe, does this sound correct? Thank you 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2003 342 burns about 32gph at cruise. 350MAG MPI Bravo III 22P props. 

You should have 235 gal total between both tanks. You should try to have a 30% buffer to allow for running conditions, etc. running out of gas is something to avoid. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New 342 or previously owned? 

You're not gonna want to run a constant engine speed on that thing if it's new.  You'll wanna constantly fluctuate and never hit WOT.  you can do this and stay on plane, and we're only talking about a 400rpm range or so.  

When you run a constant speed and load on a new engine, the rings won't float like you'll want, and instead lock in one position (like they ultimately will anyway) which will cause you compression issues later down the road... Push rods and guides will sluff and groove specific to that range, and possibly slice a third-party causing oil leak downs into the cylinder and creating a host of later issues. 

If it's already broken in, let er rip, man. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I am thinking my 342 burns 34 gph at about 3700/3800 rpm. That is about the "sweet" spot on my boat. Good luck with the trip and keep us posted.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Really Handy do we have to get into this again........LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

rowboat, I doubt it's brand new......they haven't made the 342 since 2007 I think.

buggy.....good luck with the new boat, you'll love the 342, it's a great boat.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been playing with the vessel view I had installed over the winter. It claims that at 3600 RPM I'm burning about 25 GPH and we were going about 28 MPH.  So slightly better than 1 MPG.  I'm actually pretty happy with those numbers, assuming the vessel view isn't lying to me.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Stodge, you are probably correct with that.  Most 342 owners I know average around 1MPG going around 30-32mph.  I know my VV is very accurate (unfortunately).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 260EC, with a single 350 MAG. Best mileage is at around 4000 rpm - burn 15 g/h at 30 - 32 mph.  So about 2 mpg.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Thank you all for the help. We pick her up tomorrow. 
  • Options
    EaglesNestEaglesNest Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    buggyjdav,  how did your trip go?  what did you average?