Options

Prepping 342 for truck transport

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
Due to the awesome weather we have in the Northeast we are now having the boat transported by truck as we can't find a weather window to take her down the coast. 

Aside from removing everything from the radar arch any other suggestions on prepping her for the journey?

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Well, if there is a way to cover whichever part of the boat will be forward when hauling, you will save yourself a lot of cleaning.  It would need to be something that wouldn't flap in the wind though.  I know when I had my boat hauled, the rear (which was facing forward) was covered in diesel soot and bugs.  Make sure nothing inside is loose or would rattle.  Anything like a strap, should have something thick between it and the boat or it will rub.  If the tie the arch somewhere on the boat, make sure it won't move, period.  My hardtop was removed and tied down backwards on the aft of my boat and it rubbed a couple marks on the underside of the hardtop (even with thick blankets).

where you moving the boat to?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    A friend on mine just had a 342 shipped to Boston from Florida and he had it shrink wrapped before it left. He also had everything removed from the arch also... Good luck and keep us posted on how things worked out for you.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, shrink wrap sounds like a good idea. Lots of boats delivered to dealers in shrink wrap.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Ray, get more details on that move for me. Its my understanding things dont have to be removed from Arch as long as the boat is under 13'5" on the trailer
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Handy as long as you are under 13 6 you should be fine only catch is last part of destination the permits will require them to run a very specific route any ways but once they leave that route there could be a problem as it may not have clearance. The hauling company should be able to tell you excatly what they need provided they know what they are doing
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I am transporting from Long Island NY to Atlantic City NJ, about 4 hours by car but 8+ on the water.

Dream_Inn - I dont understand your comment:  If the tie the arch somewhere on the boat, make sure it won't move, period. I think you are saying if they tie the arch make sure it is secure?

They told me to remove everything from the radar arch...
  • Options
    I think Dream Inn is just telling you to make sure the arch is fully secured. Handy what info do you need. I will find out for you.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that can off/loose like seats should be removed and stored below.  Personally, I would shrink wrap it as noted by others.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cost, company name, etc. PM me
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    I have shipped my boat over 1,800 miles twice...to and from Chicago and Phoenix. My personal recommendation is don't waste your money on shrink wrap as it typically ends up doing more harm then good....ask me how I know.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    buggyjdav said:
    Dream_Inn - I dont understand your comment:  If the tie the arch somewhere on the boat, make sure it won't move, period. I think you are saying if they tie the arch make sure it is secure?
    Looking at this and reading it over and over, I came to this conclusion... "If they lie the arch somewhere on the boat, make sure it won't move, period."

If they are removing the arch, or folding the arch, make sure it is secure and won't rub anything.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yep, Greg got it!

& Rully, yes my boat first went from MO to OH with what I believe had shrinkwrap cause I had some rub marks from it.  Then I had it go from OH to MD without anything.  You are correct that shrinkwrap would definitely rub.  I guess what I'm saying is expect anything out in the open to get road dirt on it (not necessarily cover it, but if you can remove it cause it won't clean up, then store it below).

• Options
    Did the rub marks come off Dream?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Tiara ships all their yachts from here (MI) shrink wrapped.  Maybe the quality of the job makes a difference.  But I'm guessing spending $1MM+ on a boat, you don't like rub marks on it!
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handy I will see him this weekend and get some info for you.
  • Options
    So a boat can not be shipped with regular shrink wrap?
  • Options
    Sounds like Al is saying that the felt lining protects that boat from the shrink wrap rubbing against it. 
  • Options
    So far I havent been able to find that type of shrinkwrap
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
     Handy take a look they seem to have what your looking for.
    http://www.transhield-usa.com/transhield_marine_oem_covers.html
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rinker uses those for transport. I used the 232 cover for winter storage for a few years. It worked great.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Can I leave the cockpit canvas on for transport? If not it would be a mess I am sure 
  • Options
    Take all the canvas off.  remove all the support poles too.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    're-reading this again... Is it likely/possible to remove the radar arch? It doesn't look like it is meant to come off. 
  • Options
    It should not have to come off. When the boat is on the truck trailer, it can not be over 13'5 from ground up to the highest point on the boat. 
  • Options
    Ok need a little help, have to remove radar and vhf antenna from arch, open access panels in the arch, cannot see where either cable has a disconnect... Do you have to disconnect from radio/radar and snake them up to remove them??? 
  • Options
    I think you have to take the cover off the radar and remove the antenna to get to the cable connection
  • Options
    Took comer off the radar, can't see how it could be disconnected and fit through the connector. On the vhf antenna the cable runs up inside the antenna, nowhere I can see to disconnect and connector at radio would never fit through clamshell on arch... Stumped. Hope I figure this out before the truck shows up at 9 lol
  • Options
    CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭

I recently took mine off for shipping and I took 4 nuts/washers from underneath on the port and again on the STB sides.  I never disconnected VHF/radar/coax cables just laid the arch back on itself and padded underneath so the arch wouldn't get damaged.  I then tied off the arch and made sure it wouldn't move in transport.  Best of luck with it and you will need an extra pair of hands at least.

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• Options
    Got radar off, open the dome and disconnected cables. Now on to vhf antenna. This one is a stumper, May just have to cut the cable and replace it
  • Options
    I believe there should be a connection at the bottom of the arch for the VHF.  I have to say, mine ended up cut when they removed the hardtop.