Options

water in the bilge

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
We were out this weekend at a local marina and when we pulled the boat and I pulled the drain plug, I was shocked at how much water was in the boat. Usually if we are out for the day and I pull the drain, there is nothing.....We were out for two days and had no rain but I did use a hose to hose off the bugs we get but I can't imagine all that would get into the bilge . I am using the A/C at the dock, can it possibly make that much condensation? Also from the fridge? Having had to re build the starter because it got wet, I'm real sensitive to water down below. As far as pumps, I should have one in by the shower sump pump which I have seen, and when I hit the switch on the helm I hear the pump running in the engine compartment but I sure need to check and make sure the float switch is working....if that much water got in the boat from hosing it off, if left sitting at a marina with the rain, I'd think the dang thing would sink! Unless something has happened with my bellows or suddenly have an issue with a thru hull....I would think these would be a gradual issue and not what I'm experiencing....

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    What's your estimate of how much water you took on over 2 days?  I do not think your aircon could have produced a "shocking" amount of water.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot the fridge(s) drip into the bilge. Hmmmmm
  • Options
    well, it's really hard to say...I pulled the plug and it just seemed to run forever which I know is not much help. What really concerned me as to the possible amount of water was the yuk line on the outside of the boat- my water line stripe at the rear looks like it was under the water-now I don't know if the yuk line was created sitting or while running, never really paid any attention or not but if it had enough water to have the back of the boat sitting below the water line, that's a lot of water in the hull. I have the boat at home and I will test the auto bilge- there is a second pump at the shower sump pump correct? Should the float in the rear cause both of these to come on or just the one in the back? I hope like heck I did not trash my starter again.....if I ever see the rascal that sold me this boat! But I guess it would be my own fault for not checking the auto bilge is working or not...and then I need to figure where that much water came in from. I used a hose at the dock to wash down the deck of the boat but I would not think that much water would get around the engine hatch and down into the boat? Like I said before, when I take it out for the day and not running the a/c I never have any water in the boat, 100% dry.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    The AC and refrigerator will never produce enough water to surprise you.  Here's an easy check: empty bilge, wash boat, check bilge.  
  • Options
    yep, that's the plan tonight..any time I've washed it the plug has always been out but I never would have thought that much water could get down there.....we'll see!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Rasbury, my mechanic actually puts a caulking on my plug before he closes it up to be sure it doesn't leak.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teflon tape works also...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    well, I washed down the boat and nothing- also recalled while we were out I hosed down the bathroom which we seldom use the shower and thought maybe the sump was leaking but that all was fine. One other thing I recalled different on the weekend was I filled the water tank at the dock- I need to get back out and see if there is a problem with the tank or maybe the vent line came off and that's where the water came from ...about the last thing I can think of, except for something much worse!
  • Options
    well, no answer yet- I washed it, no water, used the shower, no water. Will put it back in the water and see if I am leaking through the transom or a water leak possibly on the motor...yuk
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Ras, did you us the water from the faucets while you were out? Did the water system pressurize ok with the water pump turning off by itself? I would empty your water tank and make sure the bilge is dry and then fill the tank up and watch for water in the bilge. That much water either came from your water tank or from the outdrives.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    And from the outdrive, I assume you mean the cooling system somewhere?  I did fill the water tank and let it run a bit with water coming out the fill as well as the vent and it did not leak into the boat.....I took the boat out Saturday, not sure if I was able to get all the water out before I launched and there was a little water that came out but nothing like what I saw the other day.....will be out for about 4 days over the 4th so will see what we are working with....
  • Options
    JohnnyCakeJohnnyCake Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I had a problem with my middle bilge in 2006 FV250. There was water all the time and couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
    Then I noticed one time that there was a drop of water next to the toilet seat. It was a clue.

When i opened the plastic cover on the macerator pump, there was more water. It was dripping from the tiny hole between the electric motor and he pump. Most of the water was sucked under the toilet seat because capillary effect. I decided to unmount the toilet seat and voilá! See the picture..

The o-ring seal of the axle that comes from the motor to the pump was leaking. Leaking water went under the toilet seat and couldn't be seen. The seat had not any kind of sealant under it or in the bolt holes, so the water (and some waste also) leaked under the toilet compartment and from there to middle bilge.

I changed the rubber o-ring an sealed the toilet seat with silicone, so if there will be any new leakage in the future, water wont go under the seat and to the bilge.
    (there's a good tutorial videos on the Jabsco's website)

The leakage wasn't big, but even a small leakage gathers a good amount of water when it's on for a long time...

Leakage under the seat:

Laekage came from the hole between the black motor and the with pump set. Here's everything resealed:

The seal that leaked:

• Options
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Nice post Johnny!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express