Options

Damage

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a phone call last night around 1 AM. The security guard at my marina said he witnessed someone hit my boat with theirs. It was VERY windy choppy and some storms were rolling in. Not sure why anyone would be out on the water with these conditions. The guard couldn't give me a accurate description of the boat but he said he hit it broad side (wind must have blown him into me) then quickly fled the scene once it happened.There is no reason to be near my dock unless you are pulling into your slip(only one way in or out and about 10 slips on the dock). I have a feeling it was the 28ft SR that is docked next to me. His slip was empty so I'm assuming it was him. When I go down to the boat tomorrow I hope his is there and I'll look for damage on his. Luckily not major damage but a police report was filed. Hopefully I can bend it back.
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will never get that straight as original
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SS is a bugger to work with. Is the bailer (bent part) bolted on separate?  If so you can buy just that part. 

Bending that back will be really hard. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    BD sorry to hear your boat got dinged up. At least you or your family were not on it and nobody got hurt. I dont think your going to be able to straighten that out. Good luck and keep us posted..... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Hit and run is a serious offense on the highways. It's an epidemic and hence the need for uninsured motorist coverage. I'm not sure how law enforcement treats it on the water, and I don't want to find out.

Andy
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    I've always been happy to have my anchor sticking out rather than enclosed.  It has defended my boat many times.

My previous dock neighbor once hit my anchor on his way out, and bent the pulpit a lot like yours.  Then he hit it again on the way back in, and did a pretty good job of straightening it out.  So, take heart.  Maybe the same guy will come back.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It stinks that you got hit. But if that is the only damage to your boat, that is a good thing. It could have been worse, like the bow rail being ripped out. I am sure you will find out who it was especially if it was the boat next to you.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    The biggest thing is if someone hits a boat that they report it and not just drive off. At my club if someone hits a boat they have to report it or get kicked out........ Accidents do happen and as long as no one gets hurt boats can be repaired....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's what it did to your bailer, then there will definitely be damage to his fibreglass if he hit you broadside. Any residual paint on the stainless? If it's someone that is in your marina, you should be able to figure out by the elevation who did it.

I would definitely unbolt it and consider either replacing if it's not too expensive, or contacting a stainless steel workshop to see if they can straighten it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Looks like the guy hit again!!! Went down to the marina to take the roller off and found it tweaked a little more!!! 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Did he come back to finish the job?? WTF???
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    If/when you find the guy that did it I'd make sure to unbolt it from your boat and bolt it right on the side of his boat, with a note saying "here, you wanted it so bad".
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone has some damage that's not buffing out.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Get a deer camera.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Get a deer camera.
    I told that to my wife last night! I'm 100% positive it's the 28ft SR next to me. The only boat that would go by me is a small sail boat that I don't even think would reach the anchor, plus I've never seen it move.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    This is what I found on the SR. His slip is too small for his boat and he also banged up the rear of his boat and quickly had the parts replaced. I'm sure there are more deep gouges around his boat, when I get a chance I'm going to take more pics.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    If it looks like a duck it must be one. 
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Bet that's him I would straight ask him 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Where there is smoke there is fire. Did you confront him yet?  I don't understand why a slip neighbor wouldn't fess up and think he could get away with it when there is obvious damage to both vessels. Society confounds me sometimes...
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Does the height of his damage line up with the height of your anchor?
  • Options
    Does the height of his damage line up with the height of your anchor?

Exactly what I was thinking. See if you can measure (with a rope) height of anchor to water line, and then try and reach over and do the same from those marks on his boat to water line.

If they match, you can be 99.9% sure it was him.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    In Canada (and I'm sure the USA), I'm pretty sure not reporting that accidence is an offence. Pretty sure it is a hit and run. Once you have enough evidence, I would approach him and if he gives you grief, turn it over to the police.

Doesn't matter if the slip is too tight, if he hit you, it's still his fault and he needs to report it to you.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if he is not man enough to come to you, I'd just go ahead and call the police. I'm sure they can investigate like any other accident? We have sherriff and a couple of other agencies on the water here in Fl., I'm sure one of them would investigate as a hit and run which is really what this is!
  • Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I would think the anchor height would be much higher than the marks on that sea ray are. I would measure before confronting

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• Options
    Wait, in your last picture, do I see 3 boats in between the 2 slips??  That looks crammed up.  What is the marina thinking?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    If the combined damage to both boats exceeds $2000, the Coast Guard requires a written accident report within 10 days.  I'd say there's a good chance you'll meet that threshold, so maybe you should file an accident report even though the jackwagon who hit your boat didn't file one.  

The form is available online.
  • Options
    MarkB said:
    Wait, in your last picture, do I see 3 boats in between the 2 slips??  That looks crammed up.  What is the marina thinking?
    No, this is how the're set up. 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I'm 100% sure it's the SR next to me. I did have a police report done. I haven't seen the owner of the SR to confront him since the damage.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I was able to bend the pulpit back. Nothing a vice and a little muscle couldn't take care of! I would say it's about 96% back to normal.  :)

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I have come to find out that this guy is reckless!!!! This is what he did at the beginning of the season. My dock neighbor told me that this was him and then he went out and bought the 28ft SR!!!!! The police couldn't charge him with BWI because he fled the scene!!!

http://7online.com/traffic/police-search-for-driver-who-crashed-boat-in-patchogue-then-ran-off/740488/

2008 330EC