Options

advice, looking at 342's this weekend

Hello,
I am going to look at two 342's this weekend (05/06) and was wondering what to look for that may be specific issues with 342's. I obviously would go thru the whole survey process if I make an offer but hoping to catch any larger issues I can on a walk thru also trying to familiarize myself with any common Rinker or 342 issues.
Thanks,
J.T.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    If the boat is on a lift, take a close look at the outdrives for any evidence of corrosion.  If it's in the water, ask for recent photos of the outdrives.

Check the base of the radar arch for cracking or gelcoat repairs (freeze damage from water intrusion).

Check fore-deck and swim platform ... any flex when you walk on it?

Generic suggestions:
    Look for carpet stains or other evidence of water leaks.
    Look for any aftermarket modifications -- done professionally?
    Check cleanliness of engine room (good indicator of overall maintenance).
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    The 342 is an excellent boat. The only serious issue for me was the original Volvo Penta outdrives and bellows. Everyone with this drive system knows the problems. If the boat has Volvos and has already been refitted with the OceanX drives, take it. It will be trouble free. From what I understand, the Merc engines and drives have always been trouble free. Hope this helps. Tony Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice LaRea, and Tony yes I learned all about XDP **** on a Monterey unfortunetly it was after I had the survey done earlier this year. So far we have done 2 surveys this year, so if I take a swing at one of these Rinkers I am hoping not to strike out for the year.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you looking????
  • Options
    Chesapeake Bay area MD

• Options
    Upper? Lower? 
    Why dont you buy mine? 
  • Options
    link?

• Options
    Before I send it to you, its diesel. Still want to look? I would be glad to go with you to look or if you find one you like I could look at it with you during the week. 
  • Options
    always open to look at something online and thank you for the offer

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there are 342 specific issues.  Everything described above are general survey points.

Thought I would jot down a few things I would check, and on top of this I would still get a surveyor to do an independent check (two sets of eyes, but don't totally rely on the surveyor, as I've heard of some overlooking a lot of issues before).
    1. I would ask for service records.
    2. check both shore power (port and starboard) are working - ensure you isolate on deck/in cabin and connect safely, and energize the 110V system.
    3. check all systems are working:
              - AT HELM, bilge pumps, headlight (rotate, up down, turn on/off), navigation lights (anchor, underway), windshield wiper, horn, VHF radio, electronics like GPS and/or fish finder (if VHF is DSC, can you see the GPS coordinates on the radio?), windlass, deck and transom lights, engine hatch open/close, dimmer for lighting. 
              - IN CABIN, air con, fridge (on 12v and 110v), microwave, stove, radio and remote controls, TV (including signal, are you picking up channels?), head flush (if electronic or vac flush), , all interior lighting). Flick on water heater, test after 15 minutes, water feeling warm?
    4. Test all fresh water systems - sink on deck, sink at galley, sink in head, transom shower. If raw water systems exist (normally spray down if available) then also test.
    5. open engine hatch and climb in. check conditions of main ground cables (on gas tank, through hulls)
    6. Inspect bilge, any obvious signs that stringers are compromised? Any signs of petro-chemical products (fuel, oil)
    7. any signs of water leaks at transom, look for stains, drip marks, etc.
    8. check engine hoses
    9. check fluids on engine (oil, gear lube, drive tilt, steering).
    10. inspect water and waste tank - all hoses connected and look okay, any cracks on tanks? Any signs of leaks (odor, stains, wet areas)?
    11. check battery charger - if it has an LCD screen, can you see amps going into each battery connected? What is the voltage?
    12. check midberth bilge, under mid berth mattress - full of water? take shower hose and fill up drain in head, make sure shower sump is operating. How do the sea cocks/through hulls look (can you close and open the valves).
    13. inspect vinyl seats in cabin and on deck - vinyl look fine? Any major tears, or staining?
    14. inspect gelcoat, any cracks.  Look at it down low and across surface, see any major blisters? 
    15. inspect canvas, any tears? Inspect isinglass, any fungas/rough spots, cracks?
    16. inspect bimini frame, inspect radar arch? Any cracks, bent items, signs of water leaks (especially in spreader lights at top of radar arch).
    17. inspect hardware attached to outside of radar arch. Cables look good. Wire through radar arch sealed?
    18. inspect tabs and drive. tilt drive, recess and lift tabs at helm. All good?
    19. inspect anodes, look super good (that might not be good - if you see them pitted, it means they are working). Ask for when last replaced.
    20. spray all portals, portlights and windshield with heavy water from a hose. Any interior leaks? Inspect headliner, carpets for stains.
    21. Start engine - keep an eye on oil pressure, water pressure and engine temperature. How does it sound at idle (stable?). How long does it take for temperature to stabilize, at what temp did it stabilize.
    22. Take it out for a sea trial. Test trim tabs are working. Go to WOT for a few seconds, where is it, what speed?  Drive tilt working? How does the steering feel (any major looseness, some minor play is okay going from one side to other, like an inch or so). Keep watching engine temp, oil pressure, water pressure, voltage.  Take it to 4000 rpm, what is your speed? Take it down to the min rpm to hold on plane, what rpm, what speed?  Go to 4000 rpm, hold for 1 minute, and then go to idle (as if you were slowing down). Is engine stable, does it quit on you? Go to neutral, put boat in reverse. Everything smooth?
    23. Go back and dock - watch engine temp, oil pressure, water pressure, voltage at idle. How is steering? Engine still running stable at idle.
    24. After doing the above, and getting a good survey - if you are happy with condition and price, you know what your next step is. LOL. In reality, you are buying a used boat. You should not expect everything to be perfect. The position you want to be in is to know what's wrong and for each defect either ask seller to fix (but be reasonable, it's not a new boat!), be prepared to fix yourself and understand that cost, or be prepared to accept (for example a knick here or there in the vinyl is not a major issue). Even if you have OCD like me, you learn to stop seeing those things. LOL.
    25. Have fun with boat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Look at handys boat. Blue hull..... very nice looking.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    He dissapeared Ray

• Options
    Probably got sticker shock
  • Options
    Lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Still here, sent you a PM steve. Looking at 2 today see how it goes

• Options
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    I always look at boats for sale on the internet.  If they are still for sale, there is a 342 in St. Louis and one in Tenn for sale with low hours and looked promising. 
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I have a buddy in my marina (south river) that has a 342 for sale as well.  It is in good shape and would recommend to a friend.  Maybe you already saw it this weekend (boat name, Eagle's Nest)?  If not, send me a PM and I'll send you his number.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks, yes I saw it and looks like it was in your old slip as the dock box still has your logo. I looked at three Rinker 342's this weekend all had plus/minus just trying to work out what we want to do.

• Options
    Did you look at Handy's????
  • Options
    No Ray, its still in shrinkwrap.
  • Options
    I am not going to sell it. I just cant part with it. The reliability and the economy of the diesels, it just doesn't make sense. There is no other boat that compares to it. I just wish it was easier to fish off the boat. Thats the only part that I don't like about it. There is no boat that I can find that has everything a 342 has and you can still fish and spend the night. Maybe a Wellcraft Coastal but their diesels are bigger and use more fuel. 
  • Options
    Its funny you mention the Wellcraft Coastal a friend on mine is looking at a 34 with twin outboards. Nice boat but not my cup of tea. Good choice on keeping the boat the 342's are awesome..... 
  • Options
    Wouldn't get a coastal with outboards. Now I do like the Searay Amberjack but they don't have diesels. 
  • Options
    I thought SR stopped making those a while back???
  • Options
    And your point is? 
  • Options
    No point..... Just if you (someone) wanted a new one....
  • Options
    Never buy a new boat Ray. Haven't you learned anything on here? LOL 
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Its amazing to me that the only reason someone would not buy a 342 with diesels is because its slower than gas models. I dont understand that thinking. Or any model for that matter.
  • Options
    Maybe its the initial cost of the boat that scares people away. It could also be the lack of knowledge of diesel engines.