Options

advice, looking at 342's this weekend

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    Good luck Ches with your search!  Maybe we can add you to our raft-up next year in Still Pond!  If you have any questions at all about my buddy's 342, let me know.  I've helped with a lot of the work done on that boat and I know he's spent a lot as well getting things up to good condition.  Either way, where you looking to keep your boat!  Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't you fish off your boat Handy???

I fish off mine all the time. I'm setup with a downrigger, can troll with 6 rods at once. Fishfinder, down temp/speed. The entire setup. We catch fish ALL the time. Ate a nice rainbow trout last night, delicious. Catch lots of salmon too. Caught a 25 lb Chinook yesterday morning.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Mark but its not as easy with the camper top up
  • Options
    I still fish with my camper top up.  It's not a huge problem.

What kind of fishing are you thinking of doing?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    This is the back of my boat. 6 rod holders in total.

Starboard:
    Starboard Rods photo rods2_zps2ea0d13cjpg

Port Side:
    Portside Rods photo rods1_zpsc222b573jpg

Can take everything off and stow away in my transom locker. Rod holders simply twist and pull off. Leaves the clean lines of the cruiser.  Even the downrigger comes off, leaving a thin 5mm aluminum plate on the gunwale (only thing permanently attached). You can see the rod holder bases in this picture (black).

photo boat clean_zpsophyu4k3jpg

What's nice about these bases (Scotty products) is that they are generic, and you can add all kinds of accessories to them, even non-fishing accessories, like a magma BBQ.

Boat Grill Transom photo BoatGrillBack_zps2d93163cjpg

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I mounted rod holders on the bumper storage rail and recessed holders on the flat area and yes I have trolled with top up. Its really nice on a 40 degree day with the solar load and tunes cranking. One time I had 3 fish on and didn't even known it for awhile until I saw the rods bouncing. LOL
  • Options
    Mark, that's not a 342
  • Options
    You have more space on a 342!!! If I can do it on a 260, you have NO excuse on a 342!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    The 342 is an excellent boat. The only serious issue for me was the original Volvo Penta outdrives and bellows. Everyone with this drive system knows the problems. If the boat has Volvos and has already been refitted with the OceanX drives, take it. It will be trouble free. From what I understand, the Merc engines and drives have always been trouble free. Hope this helps. Tony Salt Shaker 342

You should also take it if the boat is fitted with Volvos DPS drives.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    He disappeared again