Options

Shore power not working

dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
2005 Rinker 300

I searched the past posts but couldn't find an answer.

Shore power works on my port side but nothing on my starboard side, not even the green light on the panel.

Is there another breaker besides the one under the helm?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each shore power connection has it's own main isolation switch. On my 260 EC, the one on port has an isolation switch at the breaker/distribution board in the cabin. The one on the starboard side has a an isolation switch on the foot wall on deck between my two aft benches at the stern of the boat.

It sounds like, given your light is off, that the isolation switch is off. Find this, switch it on, and you should see the light come on. It's best that you switch off the port isolation to be safe, before you switch on the starboard isolation.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Mark said... There is a cutoff switch on the starboard side within 3 feed of the shorepower connector. It is likely shut off.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be a loose wire behind the plug too. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First check, as the guys have said, are breakers. The second easiest check is behind the panel to make sure no wire has come off a breaker or ground ( I saw this on a brand new boat with less than 2 hours on it). Last you could remove the shore power connectors on the hull to see if a wire has come loose. Be careful not to strip the screw heads and make sure the rubber gasket is correctly aligned if you do this or you will have wet carpet in the cabin.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I had to replace both shore power connectors on my boat this year. Both had burnt wire on the back of them...

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Hey MarkB,  I notice you have my identical boat and over the weekend I notice my green indicator light was flashing on the "power" light where the Starboard side breaker is between the two aft seats in the cockpit.  Normally in daylight I can just barely see that light, but in the dark I noticed it.  Should it be on steady, or is flashing OK?  All my AC stuff was working fine.  120VAC on the gauge, good polarity.  A/C, fridge, outlets, and inverter were working fine.  Looks like there's another little light there that would come on if there was a fault?  I assume that light might be red?  I pressed the little "test" button but nothing happened either.

Guess I could see what my port side indicates but I never dock on that side.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know. Am in florid's this week. Will check when I'm back and let you know.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    MarkB, Enjoy the trip!  I found online the shore power breaker is by Carling Technologies and there are different color LED's in there almost impossible to see in broad daylight.
    Steady Green = normal
    Flashing Green = breaker opened due to overcurrent or was turned off manually
    Red = breaker opened due to leakage fault
    Amber = reverse polarity