I have a 320  with 5.0 mpi  merCruiser 
 My mechanics telling me those engines are too small for that boat 
 Any intake on that  ???? 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
     I had a 2002 310 (basically same as 320) with 5.0mpi, bravo 3.  I used the boat for 6+ years and never an issue.  & yes, I loaded it up many a times - twice a year for 10-day trips, full fuel, full water (& extra 5 gal jug), heavy portable ice maker, dinghy & engine, kayak and food for 10 days with 2 adults, 2 kids.  Never a problem whatsoever.  Don't listen to handy, he only knows diesels!  :D  That boat is perfect with those engines.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Dream your power is fine. What makes you think it's not
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    y'all are all crazy... no engine is ever enough... the space shuttle?  under powered... the rocket that launches the space shuttle?  under powered.... John Force's top fuel dragsters?  grossly under powered.... we should take up a collection and send Mr. Force some new spark plugs so he doesn't look so silly breaking four seconds in a quarter mile run... 
  • Options
    LobodemarLobodemar Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    The need for speed is strong in the boating community
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    The ocean throws so much energy at a boat I think more power is always better. The Pacific is rarely peaceful. That said, I'd be very happy to own a 320 with two 5.0's and it all comes down to where and how you use your Rinker.

Andy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with your mechanic. I'd be very careful  to treat those engines well. Don't push them, run synthetic oil and a good filter and after some use do an oil analysis.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    wait a minute here.  The real question asked is if the 5.0s are too small for the 320.  Not, should it have more power or larger engines, but are the 5.0s too small.  The 5.0s will get that boat, well weighted down, over 40mph.  & it won't take long to get there either.  Now, is it a captiva with 400hp?  Heck no.  It's a cruiser, with plenty of room and plenty of power.  When I was looking for a 310, 9 years ago, I went with a 2002 310 with 5.0MPIs and didn't think twice about it. That boat, in over 6+ summers, never touched land.  I maintained it on the lift and she ran perfect. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    On a 342, it would be underpowered but on a 310, they should be fine
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    @scottb3200 -- when in doubt, listen to @Dream_Inn and @Alswagg.  
  • Options
    scottb3200scottb3200 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Thanks guys my 320  cruiser  With 5.0mpi bravo111 just takes a lot of time to get on plane  

• Options
    scottb3200scottb3200 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Hi Alswagg
    drop a size in pitch for your props  you wrote about 
    my 320 underpowered   Can you  explain  to me 
    I don't get it 
    please help 
    Thant you 
  • Options

I have a friend with a 320 with 305s. He says its fine but a bit slow to plane when loaded. He just moves some people forward and takes it easy. He's happy with the boat. No question the 305s are less expensive to purchase and get slightly better fuel economy at lighter loads. I bought a new 2013 Rinker EC 310. I think it weighs the same as the Rinker 320. I had a choice of engines right up to the 377 Mags. I bought the 350 Mags.  I did not think the extra $ for the 377s was worth it - but - I was really glad I got the 350 Mags because with gear and six people on board those 350s had to work to get the boat on plane. I know I would not have been happy with 305s. This is just my opinion as to what I would buy if  I had a choice.

• Options
    Learn how to spell Diesels AL!!!  LOL
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I have the 312 which is the same hull as the 320.  I have the 5.7's and it moves pretty good, I don't think I would like the 5.0's although it would work I prefer to have more power and speed.

So to answer your question is it under powered, no.  But it is powered by the minimum engine size for your hull, so the expectation should be the same.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    my 15yo daughter is about to be driving on her own.... her vehicle is powered properly... it's the first instance of proper powering I've even encountered. 
  • Options
    ....and that power is your diesel?
  • Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    my 310 has carbed 350's. Could someone explain to me the comparison between 5.0mpi and carbed 350's. Were the 305's an option in 2001?
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    Do I need to take everyone to Cuba with my Diesels?  :p
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    ....and that power is your diesel?
    she'd wrap herself around something substantial quickly in my diesel... i can break the tires free by just tapping the accelerator with a purpose in that thing... i like my tires... i don't want to replace them anytime soon.. so far she hasn't even sat in the drivers seat...  

mazda3 for her.... 
  • Options

SeaHare said:
    my 310 has carbed 350's. Could someone explain to me the comparison between 5.0mpi and carbed 350's. Were the 305's an option in 2001?
    here comes one of my infamous winded responses... 

the EFI/MPI is a LOT more efficient than carbs.  It maintains fuel trim with precision, and the E part (electronic, denoting computer involvement) adjusts for engine temperature, ambient temperature, intake temperature, manifold absolute pressure or mass (as in weight) of air flow in the intake- coupled with adjusting spark timing based on a similar data set, and even sync of injection (timed similar to spark and based on pistons relation to time of injection/valve events)... it allows control a carb'd engine simply can't compare to..... the biggest gains is economy, wear, and power based off of using MORE available 'adjust on the fly' parameters...

Carb'd engines simply provide a squirt of 'enough' fuel volume into the intake manifold, and let the flow dynamics of the manifold feed hungry vacuum created by a diving piston... at times it can wash a cylinder, at times it can run lean, at times some cylinders are starved and others are rich, and it doesn't speak much with the spark function at all- meaning at one temperature you're running rich yet at another you're running lean and the spark doesn't know the difference....

think of it in terms like this:

both engines have capacity to generate torque @ a rate of 1:80 liter to #.  

an 8 cylinder 5.0 liter displaced engine, running at 90% it's possible peak and due to having PCM/ECU controlled EFI/MPI engine can produce 360# of TQ, which due to stroke distance of travel translates in this hypothetical comparison of mine to around 300hp... advantage: this thing is controlled by computer which senses changes in environment and can adjust, so it's making durn near 90% of it's peak at any given point. 

an 8 cylinder 5.7 liter displaced engine which is carb'd and can therefor only peak at around 75% of it's possible peak, can produce  340# of torque, but due to longer stroke increases the rate of work (HP) better, and presents an engine that produces 300hp as well....  problem: it can only produce this in conditions it was tuned in, and will fall off when those conditions change.     
  • Options
    Yes you do Steve, we're all coming with you......and you'll like it there. I've been there about 15 times. Some of the best beaches in the world, some of the best diving in the world, the best cigars in the world, great people, great nightclubs and fabulous crystal clear water. You're going to have a great time. Oh yeah - the best Mojitos.
  • Options
    Sounds like the Turks

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Steve swing by Boston and pick me up also. LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Take Amtrak Ray

• Options
    Really Steve really??????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Amtrak: The MTA!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Wow you guys are tough..... I just wanted a boat ride........LOL Last thing I want is a train ride....LOL
  • Options
  • Options
    Locomotives are diesels.  Subway trains are 600 VDC.