Options

Boat fires - be careful out there

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
This boat caught fire at my home port fuel dock this morning.

Andy

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CG will tell you everyone should be off the boat when refueling. Not bad advice. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for diesel.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty scary video. Doesn't take much to get a fire started. No marina in our area will begin to pump gas if anyone is on board.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what started the fire? Fuel spill? Did the diesel tank vent get plugged and the pressure made the diesel ignite?? JK, that's awful....I seldom fuel at a marina, but, what likely would be the cause of for a day to go so bad?
  • Options
    It does not take much, static electricity, spilled fuel, leaks, not running blowers, wrong electrical parts, engines on while fueling..long list.  Yet all pretty much avoidable with some common sense and following safety rules.

Had a guy down the lake almost light up the whole marina a few years ago..fueling his 30+' boat by platic gas can from the back of his pickup truck with a plastic bedliner.  Static electricity.  KIlled him, a few others burned bad plus several destroyed boats.  Very sad and 100% preventable.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, there's always risk in handling fuel.  When I was commodore of my yacht club, a guy jury-rigged a 100-gallon tank onto a little utility trailer, and wanted to refuel boats from it.  We told him heII no, and actually changed the marina's rules to prevent anything like that in the future.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy a fuel trailer that is made for that purpose. Thats how I may fill my boat up when its on my dock in my backyard. 
  • Options
    True, but I doubt you'd find a marina that would let you use it.  Too much risk of the marina becoming liable for spills and fire.  We have a county-approved gas dock, and we allow commercial fuel trucks, but members can only bring in two 6-gallon fuel cans.  
  • Options
    so what was so bad with the guy that had the plastic tanks and the bed liner, did not grasp the concept of that danger and sure want to understand!
  • Options
    That got my attention too.  Take a look at:  www.gascansafety.org 
  • Options
    Static electricity. Even a big problem with just gas cans for home use. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    You will never see a fuel dock made out of "trex" (spelling..lol) because of static electricity......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I filled up my boat at this fuel dock yesterday and got the back story from the fuel jockey. Apparently the boat's blower was inoperative or just not turned on, there was a fuel leak in the filler hose, the bilge filled with fumes. When the engine was restarted there was, surprise surprise, an ignition source. I'm actually amazed there wasn't a catastrophic explosion. The people on this boat were quite lucky, as were any bystanders. Some folks get lessons with tuition more expensive than Harvard.

Andy
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone open their engine hatch after refueling and before starting engine to check for leaks and to let out fumes, despite blower being on?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I always run my blower and open up the engine compartment lid and do a visual and smell check and keep the hatch open while starting engine.
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    The Salt Shaker always gets the human sniff test in the ER prior to start up.  I also verify that both blowers are operating.  Also close the cabin door and hatches during refueling.  And the electronic fume sniffer is on 100 percent of the time.  

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder Andy. I've been a bit lazy recently using the blower.
  • Options
    @TonyWalker did you add the fume detector? which one do you have?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited August 2015
    Patrick,
    we talked about it here:
    http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/30420#Comment_30420

Tony said "http://www.westmarine.com/search?text=fume+detector  for some specifics.  I have either the MB1 or the M1.  Not sure right now.  Based on the reviews you might want to consider the middle one on the top row, the Marine Technologies unit."

Actually, you commented on the post.  :-)

I really need to do this as well.  Gotta add it on my winter list this year!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Oh yea...maybe I ask too many questions!

I am buying the MB1 off amazon for $169.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    06-270 - no such thing as asking too any questions. IMO looking for an answer makes you smart in the first place!....BTW that's what we are all here for :-)
  • Options
    Appreciate that MT
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Do you guys turn off your batteries when fueling?

Should engine hatch be open while fueling and open while starting? I would think shut engine hatch before starting engine. (I know I'm on two threads beating around the same subject but I'm all ears on safety)
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    No, I don't think it's necessary to turn off batteries when fueling. Before first starting engine, I turn on blower for 4 minutes minimum, open the hatch and do a "sniff" test and visually inspect the tank, the bilge and fuel lines for any signs of a leak.

During fueling up I leave the blower on of course. I raise the hatch a few inches too and then get off the boat. My theory being an explosion is more likely in an enclosed "container" rather that a space with some ventilation. A fire is bad, but an explosion is often catastrophic because pieces of the boat can in effect be like shrapnel.

Andy
  • Options
    Probably a dumb question, but with all the concern with start up fuel vapor ignition, what prevents the same danger while underway?
  • Options
    Interesting comments on raising the hatch.  Keep in mind, if you have an automatic fire extinguisher, it works by constricting the fire's air supply.  Raising the hatch could make the fire extinguisher less effective.

For the sniff test, instead of opening the hatch, I recommend sniffing the blower exhaust.  The blowers pull air from the bottom of the bilge, which is where gas vapor would be strongest and least diluted by outside air.  If you just poke your head into the top of the engine bay, it would be harder to smell a faint odor.  

I do a sniff test every time I start the engines.  That way, I know exactly what "normal" smells like.  Gas fumes would stand out like a sore thumb, but I'd also smell anything else that is out of the ordinary such as oil or antifreeze.
  • Options
    Thats what I was getting at, having the hatch open while starting up will just give air to a fire.  Good idea about the blower sniff test, going to start doing that.  

My mechanic's advice was turning off the batteries to avoid any sort of spark while fueling.  Have the hatch open while fueling.  Once your done fueling turn the batteries back on and then use blower.  Close hatch before starting engine.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    At the marinas I gas-up at in Canada (about 8 different ones) your hatch must be closed, all electronics must be turned-off (including your blowers and GPS) and all personnel must be off the boat. Blower must be turned-on for 4 minutes before you re-start your engines.
  • Options
    Interesting and make sense.  Does that mean you turn off your batteries?  Do you open hatch after fueling?  Dont mean to beat this issue to death but this is a process I need to know how to do 100% correct.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270