Options

Boat fires - be careful out there

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our marina is the same MT. I haven't seen anyone open up their engine Hatch at the marina, but all electronics must be off, and everyone off the boat. Blower on for several minutes before start up.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    06 -270, good questions! I don't do anything with my battery selector switch or main fuses. I leave all my breakers where they were set and leave the battery selector on house. I do not open the hatch after fueling but do run my blowers for 4 or 5 minutes. I do close the doors that lead down to my cabin. That's how I do it others may differ.
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Appreciate the input.  Adding closing cabin doors to check list.  Another question to you MT as you just lead me down another thought.  You leave the batter selector on house?  I have discussed this many times on here and I was told to leave on crank battery.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

I believe that you are setting your selection correctly. I have a panel in the cockpit with 12v  battery posts for emergency start, an emergency bridging selector for low battery emergency starts, two motorized battery selector switches one for generator and for house, motorized engine and generator on switches and some other selections. We also have another panel in the cockpit with breakers for the two shore power lines. I'll be at the boat on Wednesday and have a look for more detail.   

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,577 mod
    I think the reason for keeping the hatch closed is the same as for closing all cabin windows:  to prevent gas fumes from drifting into the boat.  

I don't disconnect my batteries.  There's nothing wrong with disconnecting them, but I prefer to have my fuel gauges operating so I can avoid overfilling. 

The procedure used by most safety-conscious boaters is:
    * Turn off engines and electrical devices, and extinguish all flames.
    * Close all cabin windows and doors.
    * Get all passengers off boat.
    * Add fuel, keeping nozzle in contact with boat to avoid static buildup.
    * Run blowers 4 minutes, and open cabin windows to ventilate.
    * Wipe up any drips or spills.
    * Sniff the blower exhaust; if clear, start engine(s).

On many Rinkers, there's a cleat right under the fuel fill.  If you tie a dock line on that cleat when fueling, any fuel drips would go right onto the line, so use a different cleat. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Ah I see MT, thank you.

LaRae, that makes perfect sense.  Thanks for check list, great to go off.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Hmm, interesting thread, for sure. I guess I'll adjust my routine.