Options

cruiser explodes on lake george ny

2»

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant. Amazing how often that happens. We had a charter fishing boat have that happen. A 1 year old Tiara and a guy on board 'helped' and pumped 50 gallons of diesel down a rod holder into the bilge. Yuck. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Just wow.

Kind of reminds me of this video - the car said my engine needed oil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oktQAndwOig

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    Yes, a rod holder -- that kind of stuff does really happen.  

In this case, it was the dock attendant who made the mistake.  But I stick by my earlier comment: it's ultimately the captain's fault.  If he had run his blower and sniffed the exhaust, the outcome would have been different.  

No dock attendant has ever offered to fuel my boat, but I would not allow it.  They don't know my boat.  

Example:  sometimes, during the first 30 seconds of fueling, the fuel line will randomly spit a little fuel back out through the fill hole.  When I hear it coming, I know I can avoid a mess by slowing down for a few seconds.  There's no way a dock hand could know that.  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea, at our marina, we are not allowed to pump. Only the dock attendants can. I think it has to do with risk of spill, license, etc.  Not sure. But for sure, we are not allowed to touch the pump. We can only open the fuel nozzle and advise where it is.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    I've seen a marina winterize a boat fresh water system with toxic antifreeze.  You would think they would know as well. 

I'm with LaRea that I wouldn't allow someone else to fuel my boat, but I understand what you are saying Mark.  You have no choice.  Nice video, BTW!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I almost always fuel my boat too, helps the water/waste are no where near my fuel caps, but some do look identical. Learning opportunity to label them. 

I feel sorry for that kid, he'll have to live with that mistake. Lawsuit heck coming to the marina I am sure. Still: as noted if someone had sniffed the blower exhaust this all could have been prevented. 
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    As to what happened with this event, apparently the nozzle was mistakenly put into a rod holder near the fuel fill up and so gas was pumped there and some spark ignited it.

Yow that's scary......
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@icoultha.....unbelievable. You think there'd be an IQ test of some sort to be able to use a gas pump - say like being able to do up your fly on the first try?

• Options

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BD, that's truly frightening.