Options

Balancing the boat in the slip - 2006 Rinker 390

When my boat sits in the slip it leans to port side. I searched the other threads about balancing but have not found any ideas on how to fix it. There is not much on the boat I think it is a design issue where the port side from bow to stern has the galley below deck and the fridge and ice maker above deck and then a full battery bank of 6 batteries. The previous owner said when he bought the boat he addressed it with Rinker and it is just heavy equipment on one side. The previous owner said the best way he addressed it was to keep more fuel on the starboard. Any other suggestions for balance? Anyone put bags of sand on the boat or anything like that?

Thanks for any suggestions

JP

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    You'd need a lot of ballast, and that will hurt you in terms of handling and stability, not to mention fuel economy.  I'd be inclined to look for a permanent solution such as relocating the batteries to the stbd side.  Is that possible?  

Is your boat different from other 390s?  

In rough seas, I wouldn't want to rely on fuel to balance the boat.  Suppose your port tank gets contaminated, so you have to run both engines off the stbd tank.  Then you're really unbalanced, and suddenly you get caught in an unexpected storm ... it's unlikely, but not impossible.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Is your fresh water tank full or empty???? I know on my 342 if my fresh water tank if full my boat list to S/B side about inch or 2. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's one of those deals there is not a perfect world when it comes to keeping level at the dock. My 270 has the galley on the port and then on the other side you have the batteries and waste tank. Also, fresh water on the port so you would think it pretty well balanced but it does list to the starboard side at slip- I would not want to add any more weight to fix the issue and while underway you have your trim tabs to balance the boat.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's going to cost, and it's going to be a pain, but you could consider moving the batteries to the other side to balance the boat.

I wouldn't put more weight on the boat, especially the stern, as this will severely impact performance - you will struggle to achieve plane in a decent time frame.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    JPCRUZEJPCRUZE Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I very much appreciate it. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this isn't your issue but when I first bought my boat I thought it was listing slightly. Turns out my bottom paint was at a lower level on one side.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 360, where you stow food and items below deck can make a huge difference. As well, my generator and one battery are on the Starboard side, the other four batteries are on the port side. If I have equal amounts of water and waste in the storage tanks on the boat and use some though in where I stow heavy items my boat is perfectly balanced.
  • Options
    DanDan Member Posts: 23
    MarkB said:

It's going to cost, and it's going to be a pain, but you could consider moving the batteries to the other side to balance the boat.

I wouldn't put more weight on the boat, especially the stern, as this will severely impact performance - you will struggle to achieve plane in a decent time frame.

MarkB said:

• Options
    scousinescousine Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2020
    I have exactly the same issue, i have 6 batteries on the port side right beside holding tank and 2 others on the port side as well but in front of the port side engine. I am hopeful if i get 5 or batteries on the the other side it might help (hopefully)