Options

The new dash

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I don't think I ever posted the finished product in use.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Showing 1.199 MPG.  Wooo Hoooo.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Wish my VesselView had that gas mileage!  Only time I see it is at about 6kts.  Dash looks great!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I have to do the math myself.  But as long as MPH is higher than GPH I'm a happy guy.

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Looks good!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Looks fantastic.  Is everything new?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    No, actually it's all re-used except the dash panel itself.  That's the GPS I already had, just moved from the molded area on the left.  I got the vessel view used on eBay.  The multi gauges (oil, temp, gas, volts) are the originals as well as they sync.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I almost strangled they guy who did it when I found out he removed the GPS to put it there, but I really like having everything together.

• Options
    I love the set up.  So easy to read.  Why keep the both sets of gauges if you have the vessel view, back up?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how did you fill the whole where the gps came out? I have heard the vessel view bantered about, guess I need to get up to speed with that. Looks sharp and techey!
  • Options
    My dash guy made a small panel with the same finish and moved the trim gauges, depth gauge and the fume detector there.

I kept the multi gauges because I don't have smartcraft fuel senders, so that's my only view of the fuel tanks.  Not sure if I'll try to add the smartcraft fuel senders since getting to the tanks is next to impossible.

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    It looks like there might be space for a fuel flow gauge below the sync gauge.  I have often praised the virtues of the flow gauge. The digital read out that shows total fuel used is amazingly accurate.  If it says 159 gallons used when you arrive at the fuel dock, your fill up will be within a gallon of that number.  And if you want to know that you are using 12.0 gallons per hour per engine this is the way to monitor that.  BTW, that is one awesome looking panel.

Come to think about it, my FFG is mounted in that little panel just to the left of the left most cup holder.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    I get fuel flow from vessel view.  That was the one of the big draws of getting it.  I see GPH when running and there is a trip meter I can reset that shows gallons used.

• Options
    My smart craft system guage also shows GPH and total Gallons used (resettable). So I'd imagine vessel view would also have it.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful job. There are free vessel view up-grades available on line. A Merc dealer can also initialize extra programs as long as your engine can send the data.
  • Options
    @MarkB do you have the Mercmonitor or does anyone have it?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

I have the SmartCraft Tach System Guage.  It has an LCD screen and provides system diagnostics, as well as system parameters like oil pressure, water pressure, rpm, gas tank level, gas usage. It isn't as good of a display as Vessel View but it does provide pretty much everything I need.

Here's a picture. It replaces your engine tach guage.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    I have two Mercmonitors on my 496s.  They are definitely nice, but I'd still like to add a VesselView and ditch some of the analog gauges. Stodge is my new hero.
  • Options
    MT, you perked my ears up when you said free vesselview upgrades??  I have the same one stodge has (well, it says cummins on it, but it obviously works for all).  I'd be curious what types of upgrades there are for it.  Is there a web site you may have? 

& yes, I bought my VV for 3 things: fuel flow, accuracy, and monitor alarms.  It is fantastic for all of them.  For instance, two weeks ago I had an alarm and it said it was for gear lube.  I would've never known what it was, in the middle of a trip home because my gear lube level was fine.  But, the sensor in the reservoir had gotten stuck and made the alarm.  I took a toothbrush (hey it's what I had at the time, and no it didn't go back where I got it) and was able to fix it in seconds.

• Options
    The software upgrades I've been able to find are for the newer generation VesselView.  Mine is (I believe) 1st gen.  I contacted Mercury and they confirmed that there was nothing available software-wise for the older VV.  Mercury did tell me I could switch the display to the current version and it would be plug-and-play as they use the same cables.  

• Options
    Thanks Stodge, that's what I figured.  I'm very happy with my current VV, as I got a great price on it on Ebay a few years ago.

• Options
    Is VV best for two engines and more complex boats vs mercmonitor for a single engine?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Vessel View is supposed to be able to work with 4 engines.  

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    VV has a much better display, if it fits in your helm (and budget).  If not, you can get all the same engine data from Mercmonitor, but it requires more button-pressing.