Options

Head wont flush properly

I have not pumped out since I bought her in November due to the fact I never use the head, admiral only.  Every time we flush, pour water after use(its closed, never use raw water flush) it fills right back up with black water.  Smell is beyond bad.  Should I pump out or does something need to be replaced.  Sometimes the little issues finally make the top of the priority list.
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pump it out but it also sounds like your joker valve needs to be replaced. Its a cheap and easy fix.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I agree with Aero.  Definitely pump out.  Joker valve is very simple to replace.  I'd start there.  &, use that head!  That's what it's for!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed with DI.  Just visit WalMart and get a 6 pack of Campa-Chem for $7 and put 1 bottle down the head after every pump-out.  Having lake water in the waste tank is no big deal.  I also pour a few ounces of mineral oil down the head a couple times a season to keep the rubber parts in the good shape.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.  I dont use it that much because my marina's bathrooms are decent enough but it does get use.  My water is brackish which is why I have steered clear of using the raw water flush, as did previous owner.  Maybe it does not matter?  I do have the chemical for the system.  I will pump out this weekend and replace the joker valve.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you may find just the pump out works as I went through the same thing- never thought for a moment the darn thing could get filled up so fast. I pumped it out the fisrt time after probably 6 months of use- then we started doing longer stays at marinas and man, really filled up quick! Thought I was having all sorts of issues and it was just a pump out needed, when it's full, it's full! Should be able to look at the tank if it's a 270 but I thing some of the other models are a little harder to tell....
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is likely that the tank is full and/or the joker valve needs to be replaced. On my 260 EC, the toilet pumps into the top of the tank, and so the only way it's going to back flow is if the tank is full, or the joker valve is damaged/worn, and the little bit left in the line to the tank is reversing into the bowl.

Replacing the joker valve is well ... a joke.  Takes 5 minutes.  Unscrew 2 screws on hose that comes from your tank to the jabsco pump unit, take out old one, pop in new one, and screw back tight again. Your done.

Can't you check your waste tank level in the engine compartment? I can, it's on starboard. Easy to see the level. I always keep an eye on mine.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you plan on keeping the boat for a while install a waste tank vent safety valve to protect your tank at pump outs. It also protects the joker/duckbill valves as pressure on the entire system is reduced. Another IMO worthwhile addition is the Big Orange waste tank vent filter. Easy and cheap to install.
  • Options
    I will have to check but I am almost positive its not full so most likely the joker valve.  Is this it?
    http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-Joker-Valve/dp/B00JGXB6W8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443559035&sr=8-1&keywords=joker+valve+jabsco

Is the safety valve difficult to install?  And orange filter is to help with smell?  I know there is a lot of talk on here about it.  I look it up.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    @06-270. Yes,the safety vent on the waste tank is (IMO) easy to install - it took me five minutes to install. I had enough room on top of my tank to use a (I think it was about 3"diameter) hole cutter on a battery drill. I cut through the top of the tank as per the diagram that came with the valve, was careful to not drop the cut out tank piece into the tank. Popped the rubber ring into the hole, then pressed (by hand) the valve into the rubber ring/gasket. The valve opens during pump-out to prevent tank collapse. Even with this valve the tank sure gets sucked-in. The Big Orange filter is easy to install as well and also has a mini safety vent in it. Yes, the Big O is to stop smells from exiting your waste tank vent on your aft hull area.
  • Options
    I've installed the safety vent as well (after recommendations from MT).  Very easy to install after getting over the fact of drilling a hole in the tank.  As far as filter, I've always had the homemade ones.  The key is to have one, either homemade or Big O.

• Options
    is there not one standard on the boat? I have one already...
  • Options
    @ras, depending on the year and model some Rinkers came from the factory with Big Os on them. However many boaters make their own highly effective charcoal filters. This forum has several threads on it where forum members have shared some really great owner-built filters. Maybe your PO built one himself?
  • Options
    I was not talking about a filter, just a vent.....I have not really had issue with smell, guess my crap don't stink! Could not imagine a tank with out a vent std. was my point...
  • Options
    So I replaced a joker valve, what a nasty job.  Yes easy, but when the stuff is backed up its not fun.  

After you guys pump out for the season, do you add deodorizer?  Or do you just winterize the system and deodorize in spring?

@Dream_Inn why did you do a homemade version of the Big O?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Patrick, back when I first made one for my 310 I don't think Big Orange was even out yet.  I made my own because it is easy to do, cost little money, and even less money to change the carbon when needed.

As far as adding deodorizer, I did add just a little, but I know other times I hadn't.  I also flushed about a gallon of ink stuff in there as well.

& you think you're joker valves are fun!?  You should try duckbills!  I have to remove my icemaker, climb into a hole made for a monkey, under my port side seating, and then remove not 1,2 but 4 duckbills.  I had to access them once while on our 10-day trip & didn't have spares.  So I had to 'clean' it (lube it with silicon as well so it would close) and remove 'debris'.....let me just say, we don't eat peanuts on the boat anymore.  & oh, I keep a spare set of 4 on the boat at all times.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Thanks John.  Is there a thread on here on how you made your own or care to share?  If not do you mind sharing?  I am all about less money.

haha thats a good story, not everything in boating is rainbows and sunshine.  

Anyone know the holding tank size of a 270?  40 gallons?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Patrick, I believe you have a 27 gallon tank. That said I'd be looking for a pump-out at the latest at 90 - 95% full as many blockage and vent problems happen when tanks are filled-too high.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't let me waste tank go more than 80%. Not taking that chance.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I pumped out and it wasnt even half.  Like I said, I prefer mother nature or my marina's lovely bathrooms.  BUT it does it get used by the admiral so it doesn't sit without use.

Do these heads flush with water from the fresh water tank or does it pull raw water?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Yours uses raw water.  So every now and then you may want to flush some vinegar in and let it sit for a bit, otherwise you may get some build-up.  Mine uses fresh water.  Pros & cons for both ways, but I do like it using fresh now that we have it that way.  Just need to always have spare water in the tank on long weekend.

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Where are these duckbills? What do they do? Are they on my 342?
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    The PO always flushed with fresh water from the shower nozzle which I have been doing.  I may just keep it that way.

Also the flow from my head sink and flow from the cockpit sink is awful.  Any way to fix?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    @06Rinker270. Your duckbill(s) look like a duck's bill and are one-way valves (usually soft rubber/vinyl) to stop backflow. Sometimes toilet paper or waste jam them a bit and restrict outflow or permit backflow. I ask guests to flush "solids" twice to be sure the valves and hoses are clean. The Admiral also provides bags for any of the ladies to place their feminine hygiene products in as they are death to the macerators and valves. My duck bill valve is right in-line at the base of my toiled but it's a new electric vacu-flush model so I'm not sure where your DB is. Lots of fun eh? @DI. Our toilet flushes with fresh water too, which I like a lot better. If I think we might be on the hook for a longer period of time or more people are aboard I bring a couple of 5 gallon jugs of fresh water on board that I can put in the fresh water tank real fast.
  • Options
    Think that response was to bella-vita.  I dont think I have duckbills since I have a joker valve....
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    06Rinker270 ...sorry, although even Jokers need replacing from time to time too! LOL
  • Options
    06- Id empty before I Started working on it. Does it sound like some "debris" as if it were half full, should not be "backed up"? Would suction from a pump out pull some of that loose? Yuck....
  • Options
    Well it was backlogged, there was some brown liquid in it before the joker valve so no matter if I pumped out it was still there. After the joker valve the piping flows upward.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    yes it does, same on mine...I would love to see that all going down hill but it seems to work ok. You are sure going through some stuff with thus boat, hope you get it figured out- I sure went through some stuff as well...makes those good trips  worthwhile!
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    :o Woah, sounds like some fun! lol  I think I'm gonna replace my whole toilet over the winter, needs complete new seal kit, and I not playing in someone elses crap ,Its worth the price!
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of buying a seal kit just replace the pump. Unless the toilet is in bad shape you shouldn't have to replace it.

http://www.marinepartssource.com/newdetails.asp?mfgno=29040-3000&pnumber=J290403000&mfg=JABSCO&desc=Jabsco Manual Toilet Pump Assembly
    2008 330EC