Options

Stainless seacocks?

Both my head and A/C shutoffs are seized in the open position, so need to be replaced. The ones on there are brass/steel, and are quite crusty looking. Is there a better replacement available, maybe brass/stainless?
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,540 mod
    The ball valve should be the same material as the thru-hull, which is probably low-zinc bronze.  Look for a valve that is UL Listed and made by a reputable manufacturer.  Plan on spending $50 apiece.  

You might see stainless valves, but they will specify that they shouldn't be used below the waterline.
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Great thanks. Yeah they look to be bronze.

• Options
    I see they also make some out of marelon?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, either the salt water rated bronze as LaRea has suggested or Marelon. Marelon is getting a lot of good press for it's strength and resistance to any form of corrosion including galvanic corrosion. Quality 1 1/4" bronze runs anywhere from $75 to over $100. Marelon are quite a bit less. I'd do a bit of research first. You aren't in salt water so bronze corroding would not really be an issue and it may be stronger than the Marelon.

• Options
    Meh, a lot of issues with marelon, from what I read.......I see the groco stuff, is bronze and stainless, that looks good to me.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    The best bronze for marine applications is phosphor bronze.

Andy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you can go wrong with Groco as their bronze is reputed to be of a better composition than cheaper brands.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,540 mod
    I wonder why your seacocks are corroded after 10 years on a fresh-water boat.  Does the boat have any unusual corrosion problems below the waterline -- outdrives, trim tabs?  Are the seacocks bonded with ground wires?  Maybe they were just low-quality parts.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All valves need to be exercised on a regular basis. The ball inside a ball valve is stainless and the seat is nylon. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    I wonder why your seacocks are corroded after 10 years on a fresh-water boat.  Does the boat have any unusual corrosion problems below the waterline -- outdrives, trim tabs?  Are the seacocks bonded with ground wires?  Maybe they were just low-quality parts.

The handles are all rotten, as they are just plain steel. Yes bonded.... I would assume dampness in bilge caused the rot???......no other issues anywhere, clean boat. They might move, but wasn't going to try while in water...lol
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you remove the valve (obviously when out of the water), spray some WD40 in and let it do its thing, then try turning?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I'll just replace can't be bothered......don't want an issue next year. 
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    All valves need to be exercised on a regular basis. The ball inside a ball valve is stainless and the seat is nylon. 

To this end, I have had good luck unseizing valves through repeatedly applying stress in the close and then open directions, each time going a little further in the close direction. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The valve for the macerator outlet I could never get loose. I replaced it. Also all my thru hull fittings had to be taken out and resealed as they all weeped a little water.