New Seablaze X Spectrums

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
I know Michael T and myself got into a pretty good length debate on the topic of underwater lights a couples months back. Basically comes down to personal preference. 

But this past weekend I found out that Lumitec has now released their Seablaze X Spectrum lights. Same basic concept at the Ocean LED "colours" option. Has option for one solid color or if you turn the switch off and on quickly it goes into their transition mode where the colors fade across the "spectrum". I am farely excited about these because I had the Seablaze 3's on my previous boat and had great success with them.

No one on here would by chance already have a set of the new Spectrums would they? Or even seen them in action?

Definitely my first purchase when my tax return comes in March!
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @jme097 - great news! You will love the effect! I visit a dozen marinas multiple times each summer. There are lots of boats that have two color choices, usually white + green or blue. I have never seen another boat that the underwater lights scroll through a wide range of colours - even big yachts. If I come up from the cabin at night there are always a couple of people gathered around, drinks in hand, to look at the :lightshow". BTW my Ocean LEDs strobe - which really draws a crowd on the dock AND underwater as the fish love the strobe effects. BTW different fish seem to like different colors!  The Ocean LEDs can also be synched to music and can have all functions linked to a key fob that will operate them from 500 feet away! Rinkers are already good enough looking, add a light show and there's an even bigger crowd! LOL.....Question jme097 - How big a hole do you have to drill for your lights? I cut a few 4" holes in boat transoms for through hulls when I was younger but I'm a chickensh*t now - the Ocean LEDs only need a 1/2" hole for wiring. Some of the other lights need 3" or more!
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I definitely hate drilling any holes in boat!!! 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    @bella-vita - me too. I get that queasy feeling just before the drill bites. You should have seen my hands shake the first time I stuck a 4" drill with hole saw attachment against the transom of one of my boats. When you line-up for through hulls there is very little room to be off and often all kinds of equipment on the inside of the transom wall. Not for the faint-of-heart. LOL
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Mike - Im stoked! haha. I feel like a kid again. The Seablaze are the same as the Ocean LED's - 1/2 inch hole is all. The first time I installed them I was nervous haha. But as long as you aren't conservative with the 4200, all is good. Also, the 3 anchor screws that fasten each light to transom, I don't drill all the way through. I measure how much they will go into the boat and then drill that distance. Before the screws go in, they're dipped in 4200 and the holes are also filled with 4200. The back of each light is also covered in 4200 leaving the back/side completely sealed.

People get nervous but really its all common sense. Its not the hole in the boat, its the seal job people fail at. The 4200 is the make it or break it. 
    @jme097, fwiw you did the install 100%  right by my book. I really like that the lights only require drilling a 1/2" hole. The inside of the transom wall of my 360 is covered with equipment and there is very little room to drill through without hitting something. You are going to have so much fun with those lights.....and the fish that start coming in to the light after about 10 or 15 minutes is amazing. There are even some "fish fights" to get closer to the light. Too funny! The grandkids love it. keeps them busy for hours.....which is fine with the adults. Best part - it makes the guys with the really big boats nuts! LOL.
    Hahahaha, I know. I am pretty excited! It was in the low 60's here this week. Yes the week of Xmas in Michigan. I am gettin excited for the spring so I can get these babies installed and start playing around!!

Install pictures mandatory! Before, during and after! Seriously, I bet everyone would like to see the install  (I sure would) and it would certainly give more guys the incentive to attempt it. LOL

Oh I for sure will post up some pictures!  Everyone worries too much. Buy some lights, drill the holes and wire em' up!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I installed a set of lights, I was nervous doing the install. The second time on my current boat, I just measured and drilled. Lots of caulk and all is good! Good luck and post pictures. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Greg, my first "serious" cuts through a transom were 4" holes for through hulls....and I did it about a dozen times more over the years. No matter how many times we did that we were nervous. The 1/2" holes for my LED underwater lights - nothing compared to that!...  LOL
    Question for you @Michael T regarding install/wiring. Could you run the power from your switch to a 'distribution block and then run from the block to the lights?

I just spliced and wire nutted the last time I did the install. Just thinking the distribution block might be a cleaner looking option. 
    @jme097, I like your idea! Yes,  I believe that It would be a real clean install.

On my 360 we could have used the factory block but instead we used a Marinco bolt on battery spade accepting block to a house battery with in-line fuses.  

Question,  will you be able to see the your lights from where your switch is installed so that you can toggle through the colors and activate other options while watching them?

We used the Marino spade connection block and ran the wiring from it to a switch on the side of hardtop arch by the cockpit refreshment area so I could see the lights in the water to toggle through the colors and options while watching. 

If I had used one of the blank switches on the helm I wouldn't have been able to see what I had selected...... but that's a 360 and they're pretty long. LOL

BTW  I'd love to see pictures of your install! 

Thanks @Michael T!. Thats what I am shooting for. Keeping that engine compartment looking good!

Is this what you're referring to? Link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Independent-Circuit/dp/B006VELERM/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1453381847&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=marinco+spade

Oh trust me, there will be pics! I ordered the lights yesterday and they will be here tomorrow via UPS! Looking to pull the boat into the warehouse early March and start doing all my upgrades!
    It might be similar and looks like it would work great. The Marino I used had spade connection ports for 4 accessories and bolted right to a house battery.  We added the waterproof in-line connectors ourselves. 
    @jme097, this is too funny.  I just received my electronic copy of the latest Boating Magazine............ they recommend the Blue Sea terminal system that you posted the link for.  Nice call! 

@Michael T these things are really nice. Made of solid brass housing and a glass face; completely sealed. Going to hook them up tonight to a battery just to see them in action!
    @jme097 ........the lights  look amazing. Make sure to read the literature to see if the lights can be used out of the water  and for how long -  you don't want  them to burn or blow! When installing make sure to rough up the hull before putting on the 3M 4200.They are going to blast a light show into the water...... you'll draw a crowd  :-) 
    @Michael T thanks! You can run them out of the water as well. Man those things are bright! Love the color changing/transition!
    @jme097  -  wait until you see them for the first time at night,  in the meantime I respectfully suggest caution when looking at them out of the water they can burn your retina -  no sh*t
    Haha @Michael T i've already made that mistake
    The tech and I did the same thing and saw spots for the next, 15 minutes LOL. We couldn't believe how "lights" that small were so bright. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mechanic and I did the same thing and saw spots as well. I am ready to switch mine out to those... If they would have been available when I got mine, I would have went that route.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    .......yeah, you know its gonna hurt and the manual says not to look at them out of the water - but you just can't help it. Even after we said oh cr*p a bunch other guys came to look at what was going on.....too funny! .....Much easier to look at when they're under water! LOL
    Hahahaha
    edited February 2016
    @jme097, I took a closer look at the pics of your lights today. I think you have more leds than my Oceans. The lighting companies all manufacture their led pots differently but I think ours are pretty similar, one for white and the other three segments are for three primary colors with derivatives. That would explain why yours draw a more power - there are more of them. Mine are bright but I think yours will be even brighter..... there will be some schizophrenic fish under your boat......if you see ant PETA reps around you better turn those lights off.
    Post edited by Michael T on
    Hahahaha. @Michael T  i cant wait to get these bad boys installed. Supposed to be 54 here today. Mid 50's in January?! Makes me want to drop my boat in now haha
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Did you guys do two or three lights on the transom?  I'm debating this project as I have a swim light switch on my dash currently doing nothing...  The kids love other boats lights and they also like to fish/squid at night sometimes.  Plus dad digs the look...  Too many projects and not enough time...
    My 360 came with two Ocean LEDs mounted low on the transom.  They are only blue color but are quite decent.  However I decided to jack our rig up a bit,  so I purchased  two more Ocean LEDs.  This time I bought two Ocean PRO Extreme 8 color changing and sttobing lights that I mounted a one the trim tabs at the outside does of the transom about10" underwater. If all four lights are set to blue the coverage is outstanding.  If I am just using any two there is a small gap in coverage where the twin stern drives block some of the light. A third color changing light between the drives would definitely add punch. I have thought of doing it but not sure if it's worth the cost 

I just did two lights as I have a single engine. The thought did cross my mind however to do four (2 on each side) but I couldn't justify the $2k on the Seablaze Spectrums haha. Was going to do 4 Seablaze 3's but I decided I rather have the color changing 
    IMO you made a good call @jme097