Options

The True Value Of Boating!

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me boating is simply pure freedom. I remember my first experience out. No roads to contraindications your way, just wide open space. Power her down and go where you want to. If I ever gave up boating I know I'd miss it fast.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amen, DI and best wishes to you for a long boating life!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al, there is big money in Florida and the marinas know it. I dont have a choice here and if you really knew me we would be best friends. 
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Steve, that's the same where I boat on the St. Lawrence. There are only really two marinas with techs to work on the newer Mercury catalysed engines that have, DTS, Vessel View and Axius and they KNOW it. They all basically charge the same thing for every repair and they really don't care if they get your business or not. That's why I head back up the Rideau Canal system each year to my selling dealer. A guy like Al who does excellent work for a decent price would have business lined-up for miles.....and yes, you do have a lot of friends - the ones who get your wacky sense of humour and don't take your comments seriously, right?....Just don't break-down near Al or he and Thaddeus will retire on your repair bill. HAHAHAHAHA
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Handymans Is right when I changed out my impellers they charred me $615.00 per side out drives were about the same, that was after making several calls to different mechanics, they have us by the short hears here and they know it especially if you can’t bring it to them (knowing your water bond) if you can then you’ll get better prices
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the support MT. I ran my Home Improvement business for 30 years exactly like AL runs his. This is why we have loyal customers. 
  • Options

Steve, I hear you brother!!!!! I bid on a job once and didn't get it. It was to paint the inside of a huge warehouse with a waterproof elastic polymer paint. No big deal for my small company, we could do that in our sleep.  

I was told I was 38K below the next bidder. When they told me that I started laughing. The guy said, "What's so funny?" I said "Mister do you know how much profit I was going to make?". He went quiet.

I got a call about 4 weeks later. He said the guy who got the contract was making a mess and could I have a look at it. I went to see it with my lead hand. The idiots had forgotten to neutralize the block cement surface. Everything was peeling off.

We sand blasted what had been done to that point then neutralized it, sprayed a bonding agent then the finished product and were still under the other guy's bid. The guy we did the job for must have called 50 friends. I had more business than I could handle. We were usually booked-up a year in advance, anyway.

There are so many sh*t heads out there doing business, that people can't believe it when someone honest comes along and think there's a catch. Too funny!

If I didn't have my health issue I could be making so much money in this work climate - where few people want to do anything for a fair price and the rest haven't a clue how to do it even for a fair price! :-)

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Luckydog $615 per side for impellers,that's crazy.my mechanic is like Al honest as can be sometimes I feel like he ain't charge me enough lol. But he also boats without crew ,honestly without a good mechanic I would be in trouble
    2002 Rinker FV 342