Options

Winter upgrades....

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
I've decided to do a little upgrading while my boat is on blocks in my backyard for the winter. Since my tachometer has been acting up I was going to upgrade all the gauges, but instead I am going to install a VesselView 4. The VV4 will replace all the gauges except for fuel and trim. I am fabricating a fiberglas mount for the VV4 and relocating my Garmin 741xs into the dash/gauge panel. I am still in the beginning stages and have a ton of sanding, glass/bondo work ahead of me...  I figured I would post some pics as I go along...

This is the starting point:

This is mock-up: 

Garmin 741xs mounted:

Cloth stretched over the VesseView mount and then fiberglas resin applied:

Resin applied to dash panel:

While the fiberglass was curing I started another project of building the base for extended rear seating and (soon to build) sun pad:

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope your not using pressboard? That wood gets a little wet and its done. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Nice work!  Keep the pix coming!

For the sun pad, do you have a way to keep it from moving when you step on it?  It can be dangerous if you step on the pad and it slides out from under you.  Here's what I did on mine (obviously a different setup from yours):

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2670/mod-to-keep-the-aft-fill-cushion-from-slipping
  • Options
    Handy- The pressboard was being used as mock-up on the seat. I'll be using marine grade plywood for the final product. 

LaRea- Was concerned about that cushion slipping out too. That simple mod is perfect and I'll be copying your idea... Lol. 
  • Options
    Is that pressboard on the VV stand too?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @D2D1.....Wow - I like your home renovations, You have come-up with some super ideas. I'll bet you have started some new trends. For that rear seat addition Starboard is another good seat base that water will not even touch, even if it gets soaked.  
  • Options
    Handy- yes that is a pressboard on the VV mount, but it is completely encased in fiberglass resin. My plans are to sand it down, use body filler where needed, sand a bunch more until she's perfect. Going to paint(VV mount, dash panel, switch panel, steering wheel plastic center cap)a medium brown color.... Then try my hand at hydrographics using a gold/clear carbon fiber film(should look awesome over the medium brown base coat)... Then clear coat everything. This is close to what I'm hoping the color turns out like:
  • Options
    Michael- I thought about using starboard too... Just concerned about the weight, the cost of 3/4" starboard and the upholsterers ability to work with it. 
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2016

@D2D1 , no question starboard is more expensive than marine ply and a bit heavier but any upholsterer should be fine with it as it is used in a lot of high end oem seat bases where strength, water rejection and durability are required.

Marine grade plywood is a good product but susceptible to water infiltration and delamination at the edges whereas starboard is not. If you do choose marine ply I respectfully suggest that you encapsulate all cut edges and ends with fiberglass resin. I wouldn't want to see the time and money spent on that seat be negated by delaminated ply!

As well, may I suggest SS staples for the upholstery to avoid rust staining and staple failure.

Great work - pls keep the pics coming! 

• Options
    Never even thought of SS staples... That's what makes this forum great! I'll start watching eBay for some decent sized pieces of starboard(may as well do I right the first time!)... I plan on making the rest of the sun-pad filler cushions as well, just need some extra time to do it. 
    Anyone know where I can buy those stainless "legs with end caps" that are used on the filler cushions? I would rather just buy them(with caps and pre-dimpled screw holes) than make them. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Very nice Diggin! I love the look of the dash.  Thanks for the pictures!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I did a little more work on the dashboard this week... Here is some more pictures:
    Molded a "back plate" of the back side of the compound curved gauge panel: 

Trimmed the edges and fiberglassed it to the flat front faceplate: 

Finnished up the fiberglass work on the VV mount, sanded and primed it.... Rock solid:

Dry fitted everything in the boat. Still need to fill in the gap between faceplate and molded back plate with fiberglass mesh/resin:
  • Options
    Nice custom work!
  • Options
    @D2D1 that's some serious talent brother. You've just really jacked your ride with that. Wait till you dock her near some sister ships - they'll blow a seal!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool! I have never seen what the sun pad was, but, assumed it would fill the whole area back there, perhaps a pole to support it where the table goes and also the lip around the area with the fiber glass....with what I'm seeing only a foot or so wide, I'm not understanding what it's good for? The dash is going to be really cool, that's a big project to take on and it is looking great, I'm sure we are all anticipating the final look!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Rasbury- Here is a picture of the sun pad from Rinker(I think!!). I wanted to make it so there is extra seating around the table and like an L-shaped lounge. I am thinking about making the larger sun pad piece with a hinge(running bow to stern) so I can fold it and store it easier.
  • Options
    We bought the oem sun pads from Rinker for our EC 310 and EC 360 (I'm not as talented as Diggin2Day1...but the money was well spent as the Admiral, her friends and the kids love it. The nieces all get on it and drink margaritas while the guys hang out with beers on the swim platform. I sit down in the cabin with the men, some scotch, games on satellite tv and Texas Hold'em - Works for me LOL 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the proper name for it is a "filler cushion". I have one on my 280 and love it. I also had them on my 232cc, which made a second bed is someone wanted to sleep under the stars. The bad thing is it is a PIA to store when it isn't in use.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok, that makes more sense to what I was thinking and I want one! Seems like you could also use the pedestal mount to support it as well...hmmmmmm
  • Options
    Dont forget to paint the trim behind the VHF. I used white Plastic dip spray. 
  • Options
    Handy- That trim piece drives me crazy... It's cracked and ugly. I'll be making a new one and making it the same color as the rest of the trim pieces.  My biggest concern is the "breaker panel" underneath the steering wheel. If I dip it and use hydrographic on it, all the labels will be covered... 
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    That's talent looks good!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    FedEx delivered at 9am today... Going to be a fun weekend!!!
    I placed the VV cover on the face of the fiberglass mount I made.... It fits like socks on a rooster!!! Going to need some careful planning and surgical "hole cutting" to make her fit right. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's going to look great once installed!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    It's Christmas! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Still deciding which route to go for mine. Post pictures once all in! Can't wait to see! 
  • Options
    Beautiful - one of the best up-grades you will ever make!
  • Options
    VV4 mount is finished... Decided to paint and clear coat it matching brown. After thinking about all the work I would have to do with the hydrographics on all the panels, I scrapped the idea. Still working on the GPS mount and i just realized that I will have a huge gaping hole where the wires came through for the GPS. I'll have to cover that up somehow too. I'll be fabricating a new VHF mount and most likely a whole new switch panel as well.... And a TON of cleaning to do! 11 weeks and 1 day until May 1st!!!! 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work. Are you going to chase all those cables behind the dash and up through the bottom of your custom pedastool for the VV? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Man does that look sweet!!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express