Options

SmartCraft

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    As per Mercruiser, this is what they told me: Digital trim- orange/white (bullet plug)..... Analog (orange/light blue)... Unplug analog and plug in digital. 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I am assuming since there are 2 pucks on the outdrive for the trim senders, there should be 2 bullet plugs for digital as well. Is that what you have or do you have just one bullet plug? @diggin2day1

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    No, just one... Port puck is for the trim limits and starboard puck is the trim sender. Honestly, I would call Mercruiser and speak with one of their techs. They are great people and extremely helpful. 
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    @jme097, did you see the pic of my trim wires? Does yours look like that? On mine it looks as if the digital is already plugged into some harness type set up. But so is my analog wires. I'm not sure on that one. I need to call merc as well. My trim gauge didn't work before. I was hoping it was the gauge. Maybe I need a new sender. 
  • Options
    My trim gauge didn't work before either. I was hoping it was the gauge because I am pretty sure you have to pull the drive to replace the sender @jbschmalz23. If it is the sender, then that is going to wait until the fail when the drive is pulled for the annual maintenance on it. Definitely don't feel like doing it again. And by the way. the fuel sender I installed works like a gem. I mounted and wired it up then started up the MercMonitor and it shows I have 40.1 gallons in there which is about right as there is a little less than half a tank!
  • Options
    So after doing some reading on how to adjust the trim position sensor, it looks like you remove the cover of the sender (starboard side of drive) after lowering the drive all the way down. And you adjust the needle until it is all the way down? And of course reinstall the cover and screws. Does that sound correct @diggin2day1

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you do if the screw hole threads are stripped? Mine do not tighten up 
  • Options
    Awesome! I need to order that sender as well then. I will wait for the trim sender as well. Have already done more than I wanted! Lol. It's an addiction. That'll be a good fall project. 
  • Options
    If the sender is really bad and you don't feel like paying the $600 bill for replacing a $70 part, you can always do what this guy did haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70Fc2gWgZQ
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my sender was bad and I didn't want to pull the drive, I would splice the wires before they go thru the transom assembly. I did it in the past. It will only last a season or two, but it will get you by in a pinch. I wouldn't do what the you tube guy did.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Hahaha I know Greg. Could maybe solder the connection for a better connection maybe? I definitely am not pulling the drive for a new sender right now if I need to it'll be in the fall when it goes in for the annual maintenance. Hoping all I need to do is adjust the sender. Gonna try that tonight. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    You don't need to remove the cover just loosen the screws to be able to rotate the sensors.
    good chance that the screws will be seize, try using a impact driver or borrow one and a good Philips bit of the right size. If you succeed at lossen the screws apply anti seize compound when you re-installed  them. And if you replace the senders do what Cableguy Greg suggest not as per YouTube 

• Options
    @jbschmalz23 the trim position sender and the trim limit comes as a package. Cannot buy them separate anymore. If you're gonna do one then do the other for sure
  • Options
    Jme097- don't need to remove completely to adjust... If you loosen the screws you can make minor adjustments(just look at it closely, you'll see immediately)... I actually had to remove mine and line it up properly before fine tuning, mine was WAY out of whack. 
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 lower the drive all the way and adjusting the sender will be pretty evident?

• Options
    When you are in the "trim calibration" setting, trim the drive all through the range from down-trailer position and watch the for the "uncalibrated value" to change and adjust from there. 
  • Options
    So what I feared is true I believe. I messed with the position of the puck multiple times this evening and the mercmonitor still can't calibrate the trim and gets an error every time. I think the sender is corrodid. I think I am going to order a replacement sender. The wire leads still look great. 
  • Options
    I never removed the 4 cover screws, only the two elongated adjustment screws. Check out this PDF, especially the part about "installation" and the alignment marks... Might help. 
    http://www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/92/92_12.pdf
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Thanks Diggin. I read that PDF earlier this morning as well. Still can't make it out to be honest. Kind of confusing. After a little research they make 2 different senders; one analog and one digital. Really confused now haha. One website says the analog trim senders are not smartcraft compatible lol
  • Options
    Come on guys... Get this figured out so I can get my MercMonitor!!! Just kidding. This has been a great thread to follow seeing that I want to follow in your wake.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never saw that corrosion on mine but it still don't work
  • Options
    Welp never mind. Just went and looked further. I see the wires are frayed. That's why lol
  • Options
    Don't know what I would do without all this input. Glad there are others going through it at the same time. Haha. I hope to finish up all the loose ends this weekends. I'll post pics once done. 
  • Options
    The trim sender sends an analog signal into the smartcraft system which converts it into a digital signal to be read my the mercmonitor/VesselView.... Just like the the fuel sender. 
  • Options
    To make it worse the frayed wire is up in the housing. Too far up to cut and splice a new sender. Definitely not pulling the drive right now either. Wish they made it easier to replace! Should put a new sender on and drill a small hole above the water line and install a small thru hull fitting until I pull the drive haha
  • Options
    @jme097, are you keeping your 4in1 gauge or are you going with the smartcraft 4in1? Is there a way to not see the trim on the MercMonitor? Same with the fuel?
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    You can turn the trim on and off. Which I did because if not then you have a constant alarm for the trim sender. I am actually gonna go with a 5inch tach, 3 inch speedo and a small fuel gauge to replace the trim gauge. The 4in 1 is useless I feel like now that it's all digital to be honest @Cableguy Greg you will want to see your fuel on the MM. It shoes digital fuel level (to the tenth) and also shows your GPM and Eco Mode is great. The harness to tie in  your fuel tanks is only $25. It has 2 tank leads which is nice because you can use the other tank lead for a holding tank if you wanted. You can change the "Type" of tank on the MM from Fuel to Holding etc.
    Post edited by jme097 on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

You guys are making me think I should tie my old VV into the fuel tank as well.  For years I've just been using the fuel burn (which is accurate).  But having it know how much is left would be nice to match up with on the waypoints page.

Has anyone connected theirs to their generator?  I've given that some thought as well, but it didn't look like there was much info there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @Dream_Inn I would definitely do it. Its so nice to see actual digital fuel amount and GPM. I am sure you can tie in your generator to N2K somehow. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    @jme097 I can see the GPM right now, just not a digital fuel amount that is left.  But that is also tied to things like distance to go on tank on the waypoint page.  So, when you connected yours, you did not have to change the fuel tank sender?  Just the wiring between the sender and the harness?  What was the part number again on that?  I may just order that and the harness to add the Genny and get it done with.  Thanks.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express