Options

BLIZZARD!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,572 mod
    @Glassguy54 - you are so right.  If I had a snow blower and a set of chains, this would be a different story.  

If I see somebody coming down the street with a snow blower, I'll hustle out there and pelt them with stacks of $20 bills until they clear my driveway.  But shovels are the wrong tool for the job right now.

At least I don't have lizzards to worry about.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
     **** lizard  storms really hate them - **** the boat's shrink wrap........only thing worse would be a catherized lizard storm.  
  • Options
    Well, the 24" marker is in serious jeopardy.  Visibility is down to a couple hundred yards, and the wind is howling.  According to the newsies, we'll have another five hours of this crap.

• Options
    walleyewalleye Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Don't have a measuring stick but at least 2 feet in northern VA just outside of DC. Hope my snowblower starts tomorrow...
  • Options
    It's over.  Final answer, 26 inches on my patio.  There might have been a bit of snow blowing off from the roof, so I'm calling it an even 24 inches.

Checking on the boat is out of the question.  Even if I could get my wife's truck out of the driveway (which ain't gonna happen for a while), I doubt I could get access the marina.  

So glad to have that hardtop! 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I missed that one
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    To conquer the driveway, we tapped a powerful force of nature ... stronger than a snowblower, even stronger than the storm itself.  I'm talking about ...

Guatemalans.  Five of them.  I *love* those guys.  They knocked through that job in about 45 minutes.  After the Admiral and I shoveled the first 30 feet, we were ready to collapse.  Then it was like the cavalry came charging in.  Best two hundred bucks I'll ever spend.

The roads are still a mess, but at least we can get out if we need to.
  • Options
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Only got 6" this time. So much better than the 9 feet we got last year....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    One inch is too much for me.
  • Options
    Yeah Handy the older I get the less I want. I am really starting to HATE the white shi...... stuff......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Guess you are stuck there till retirement 
  • Options
    Yerp.........
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is out of Lake Cumberland, KY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXGM3CbGKc

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    We have taken our 246 down to Lake Cumberland from Iowa and it is beautiful in the summer, and huge! I feel so badly for everyone that has to risk leaving their boats at the mercy of the elements. Ours stays in a balmy 65 degree (F.) building all winter (and 72 degrees in the summer).
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Sad to watch.  So the question is what opened her up to the sea?
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    According to BoatUS, most boats that sink do so at a dock and of those most do so at their own dock.  My dad had his 36 foot Roamer sink at Kean's Marina in Detroit at the dock on launch back in 1969 I am thinking.  When he arrived to inspect etc, a crew from channel 4 was also there to record the event.  As I might have posted before, there was not one sentence that came out of my dad's mouth they could put on the air.  The boat was launched with all the plugs from the cooling system for one of the engines not installed.
  • Options
    Sad indeed. I personally watched a similar event in 2003 during Hurricane Isabelle.  You can't sugar-coat it ... watching a boat sink is just sad.

I haven't heard of any snow-related boat incidents in the DC area this week.  Hope it stays that way.
  • Options
    sixpacksummersixpacksummer Member Posts: 43
    We boat at a lake 30 minutes from Cumberland. Visited our marina today, bad idea due to the snow, and we had two 70' houseboats sink from the weight of the ice and snow of about 16-18". They speculate the boat in the video sunk because the covered slip roof collapsed on it and the weight got it low enough to take in water in the engine vents or some other opening. Not feasible to take a boat 18 by 115 out of the water on a seasonal basis and this was a 50 year snow for this area. By the way the fellow narrating the video runs a boat salvage business and will be the one to raise her.
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    lots of damage to marinas in southern kentucky and northern tennessee. here is a news clip from norris lake, one of the lakes we visit frequently.

http://legacy.wbir.com/videos/news/local/scott-campbell-morgan/2015/02/22/23832419/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    well, I made it back on here.  Was too busy playing in the snow the last couple days.  I'd say we got around 20 inches at home.  After 19 years of living in my house & only using a shovel, the wife bought us a snowblower this past Friday!  What a treat it was and boy did it work well.  Went out Saturday for about 2 hours and did 3 driveways! Then I did some sled riding in the middle of the "eye" of the storm, when the wind slowed a little and the snow slowed too.  Yesterday spent another 2 hours doing the driveways again. 

It allowed me to have some fun with the kids and using the good old shovel to make 3 high bends in like a bobsled run.  Also made one trial with just a jump at the end.  I wasn't sore from cleaning the driveways, but making and riding those sled trails reminded me I was getting older.  I then topped it off yesterday clearing my patio and taking the grill out to cook some burgers!  (I'm sure my neighbors smelled it, thinking really?) Also did a trail down my street.  No problem getting into work today!

I'll say we did have some tremendous winds on Saturday!!  I think any snow that was on my boat more than blew off, so I don't have much worries there!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    jhofmann said:
    Planned a snowmobile trip to Vermont this week, but not much snow, and their not getting any from this storm. Don't suppose there are any snowmobile trails on Long Island, NY, are there aero 3113? Maybe I should hook up the trailer and head south!

They had a travel ban in place.  You could have gone right down the LIE!!!  30 inches at JFK.  I'm 90 minutes north in CT and only got 3-4 inches.
  • Options
    Typical Virginia storm:  the snow on my patio is already down from 26" to 13".  Schools should reopen tomorrow.  

BTW the hardtop on my 370 did a fine job protecting the boat.  The snow was only 4-5" deep on top, because of the wind I guess.  I feel so bad for the people who had storm damage.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had over 30" and my wife's school only had a 2 hour delay on Monday!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Gotta love street parking in DC, this what just the beginning.  Especially when you have three elderly neighbors who need their sidewalks cleared and cars dug out, I am soar.  Luckily we have a city dog, no need for grass.  However, I had me some fun.  Now, I just need to get to the boat.  Although I am on land, curious to see how the winter cover held up.    

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Bringin' out the good stuff!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Normally I don't dare to mix this greatness with anything, but its all I had.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Fairfax County just announced that schools will not reopen until Monday.  When you include the day off last Thursday for that little freak ice event, that's eleven days without school.

@aero3113, what would your Long Island neighbors have to say about that?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's crazy!!!!!! 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I know Jack Taylor.