Options

Vesselview 7 on 360??

So I'm trying to figure out how to install a new Vesselview 7 on my 2005 360, but there is not much real estate. Anyone have some pictures of their installs and how they tackled the space issues?  I'm thinking I may be able to squeeze it on the side of my chartplotter as I have about 11 inches on each side (see pict), and then do some creative starboard patching. Ideally I could find a new panel with no cut outs so i could make the cut outs myself and put the chartplotter and VV7 next to each other and centered on the panel. All I see on greatlakeskipper are new panels with cut outs and gauges already installed.  Any ideas on where else to look?
Let me know if you all have ideas for my installation dilemma. 

Also is the new Vesselview 7 and 4 compatible with smartcraft engines from 2005 (I have a 496)? All of the literature I have seen say VV7 and 4 are only compatible with Gen 1 2007 and newer engines. From my research it seems many have done this upgrade who have older model smartcraft engines.  So not sure what gives. 

Comments

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This company might be able to help. It was from another thread...

www.tecnografic.com

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    My 2002 350 MPI is compatible with VesselView... Call Mercruiser with your engine serial number and they'll tell you. 
  • Options

I spoke to Kim at Merc today.  Awesome guy and knows his stuff.  He got me everything I need to go to Vesselview.  I also plan to feed the fuel level into the VV so I need that additional harness.  See attached for the architecture for those people considering.  All you basically need is one engine data harness (blue cable), 2 JBoxes/CAN's, 1 CAN link harness, and 1 dual engine instrument harness.

For those that upgraded did you mount your jboxes somewhere up at the helm?

• Options
    I need the 3 pin harness for my engines
  • Options
    VV7 manual for those that want it.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    yes, you can mount the boxes behind the helm.  I've done this on my current boat and 2 other boats and usually some good space back in there but still be able to get a screwdriver or wrench to mount it.  I still hadn't added the additional fuel harness.  I know someone with the same boat as mine that did and couldn't get it to work, so I didn't attempt.  On my current boat, I was able to mount the VV on the left side of my plotter just taking out a couple gauges.  If you're gauges were level, it'd be an easy cutout.  But, with the upper one, you would definitely have to do some filling.  I'm sure you've seen the topic on here where he is redoing the entire panel?  you could just use the wrap and fill in what's needed and wrap it again.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a new dash made to hold both my VV4 and my GPS.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    I spoke with Kim as well... Absolutely incredible service from him!!! I have a 2002 FV270 and he also said that there are "drops" from my main harness that are labeled "fuel level". Using the 3-pin Fuel tank Harness- part# 84-864218 unplug current sender and plug in new harness... It basically sends the analogue information from fuel tank sender into the "SmartCraft brain" which can then be sent to the VesselView and/or Chartplotter w/gateway. 
    I was also told by Kim that my trim gauge is analogue but by locating a small "bullet plug" and simply swapping connections It would send the Trim Position into SmartCraft system as well... Digital Trim- (orange/white) bullet plug..... Analog Trim- (orange/light blue)... Unplug analog and plug in digital.... I have not physically done it yet, but I can't wait to dive in and do it... Just need a bit warmer weather!!!

• Options
    As for the mounting panel... If it is flat, why not remove it, trace it out on 1/8" aluminum, cut it w/fine blade jigsaw and cut out VV/other openings. Bring it down to a local powdercoating shop and have it powdercoated. 
    I did this on my old Maxum, it was extremely easy and extremely rewarding when I was done!! I actually used an old stop sign that I had laying around in my garage. It was the same thickness aluminum as the original gauge panels. The aluminum cuts like butter with a handheld jigsaw w/fine toothed blade. I had the powdercoating shop use "Rootbeer Metallic" and it looked incredible in the sunlight. I replaced all the gauges and had the switch labels lazer etched into the panel. The cost of the powdercoating was about $100... Really came out nice, here is a few pics:

Before/After:Sacraficial stop sign:  

Final product:
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice work.
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    I had a new dash made to hold both my VV4 and my GPS.

Nice.  Did tecnografic do yours?  I just got a quote from them for $350.  I have to send them my panel and it will take two weeks.  I'm debating on this if I cannot figure out a different way that still looks professional.
  • Options
    Really nice work digging!  I suppose that is an option.  Not sure how much fabrication I'm up for.  But it doesn't look too daunting.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    d2d1....... Beautiful work.  I have used aluminum  and had it powder coated many times in the past for projects. 
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    You can make some really cool stuff out of stop signs....I mean 1/8" aluminum!
  • Options
    .........and I spent all that money on aluminum :-(
  • Options
    To be honest that stop sign was buried in my backyard for years... I just "happened" across it one day, dug it up and put it on my garage wall. The local big-box hardware stores didn't have 1/8" aluminum. Then it hit me.... The stop sign!!! After all those years exposed to the elements, the aluminum was perfect.

craigswardmtb- it really wasn't too bad, very easy to work with. 
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    yes, you can mount the boxes behind the helm.  I've done this on my current boat and 2 other boats and usually some good space back in there but still be able to get a screwdriver or wrench to mount it.  I still hadn't added the additional fuel harness.  I know someone with the same boat as mine that did and couldn't get it to work, so I didn't attempt.  On my current boat, I was able to mount the VV on the left side of my plotter just taking out a couple gauges.  If you're gauges were level, it'd be an easy cutout.  But, with the upper one, you would definitely have to do some filling.  I'm sure you've seen the topic on here where he is redoing the entire panel?  you could just use the wrap and fill in what's needed and wrap it again.
    Actually I haven't seen that thread. I'll search for it. I tend to have a window, or state of depression, after the boat gets pulled in late October where I try not to think about boating. Then the new year hits and I start to think about the projects and next season fun that's only around the corner and get back on the forum.  I'm shooting for in by the second week of April this year. 
  • Options
    @craigswardmtb  No My mechanic also does replacement dashboards.  Not sure what the dash itself cost.  It was bundled in with a bunch of other work.

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Guys looking over the vesselview install (pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on a VV4). Can some explain exactly what the NMEA cord does? I know it goes from the GPS to the VV but what does it do? Is it a must have if I do install the VesselView? Just hoping for some clarification before I pull the trigger 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    It is an energized data cable that links NMEA devices using connection ports and terminating transistors to bridge unused ports. I believe you must use one. 
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    You guys are awesome technicians, craftsmen, engineers.
  • Options
    IMO, imo not just the best boating forum but one of the best technical forums anywhere and without a doubt the best "band of brothers". 
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    A common use for the NMEA cord is to connect your GPS to the VV to get speed to your VV.  The newer VV is supposed to be able to take the speed and come up with MPG while underway.  Without it (as in my case) you will only see GPH.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Stodge - The VV I am going to order is going to be brand new obviously. The only reason I was asking is because I was reading the PDF of the set up instructions and it asks you to pick how to receive your speed (GPS, pitot or the wheel). Obviously want the move accurate data for this. Maybe I will call Merc and confirm that before I order. Might just order the NMEA cord just in case and return if I don't use it. Thank for the heads up

Frencie - Thanks for the link! Would I need a Tee to install the VV?
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    It depends if you already have some equipement with NMEA 2000 install lf so you would need a Tee. If some of yours equipment work with NMEA 0183 protocol that would be different.
  • Options
    The N2K network allows everything to "talk" to each other. You can't simply run a NMEA2000 cable between the GPS and the VV, you have to install a NMEA2000 network(extremely easy!!) Here is a basic NMEA2000 network:
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Do I need to replace the fuel sensor and all that stuff as well? Sounds like I am getting into some uncharted waters that I don't want to get into? My 6.2L already has the Smartcraft harness on it. I thought I would be able to install this myself but from the sounds of it, it sounds like brain surgery lol