Options

Vesselview 7 on 360??

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to replace my fuel sending unit to patch into Smart craft - it wasn't a big deal. Small, inexpensive part - screw in.  Only thing is you have to put a special sealant on the gasket to prevent fuel leaks.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    OK so I called Merc last night to ask them my questions. The only thing I would need NMEA for on my 280 is to show the VV on another chartplotter which I don't plan on doing due to my lack of space/current layout. He did say that I would need to change out my fuel send unit like you just said @MarkB Question now is how do I figure out which one I need. I emailed Rinker awhile ago and got the part number (ISSPRO 10). Which is for 10 inch deep tank and rectangular. If anyone has any tips on who to contact to get a replacement to digital fuel sender it would be appreciated!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    My sending unit says WEMA at the top. I believe that is the manufacturer. Perhaps you can get the make and model of your existing sending unit and then call WEMA and tell them you need a replacement that is compatible with Smartcraft. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    From my conversations with Kim at Merc it sounds like you do not need a new fuel sender. All you need is that fuel harness as posted earlier in this thread to connect into smart craft. It's essentially converting the analog signal into digital which the system can then interpret. Depending on year it could be a 3 or 6 pin connector.  I haven't done it yet but parts are on order. 
  • Options
    Oh alright. I'll probably still replace my sender as well. When the tank 100% full my gauge only reads 3/4 full. Never gets above that. Might as well do the leg work to track it down while I am installing the VV4 and make everything reliable. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    In my case (2002) I had to add all the cables.  The fuel tank senders are analog.  You're boat being newer may have them already.  I ended up keeping my analog multi gauge (fuel, temp, oil, volts) pretty much just for fuel.  Getting to my fuel senders would be beyond painful.  So unless someone makes a converter I'll live with the analog fuel gauges.

FYI, if your VV harness has a NEMA 2000 connection like diggin has shown the hookup is easier.  My VV is older and only has a NMEA 0183 connection.  NMEA 2000 is pretty easy to work with.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options

My fuel sender was analog as well, and needed to be replaced with a digital in order to work with my smartcraft system.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB I was told by the Mercury tech on the phone yesterday that there is no need to replace the analog fuel senders. That the analog fuel sender plugs into an adapter which then plugs into the Smartcraft ECM harness. I keep hearing different stories! lol
  • Options
    There's probably a analog to digital adapter, I wouldn't be suprised. But what is the cost of the adaptor vs. a new fuel sending unit. I guess if you didn't want to worry about sealing the fuel nozzle after changing out the fuel sending unit, it would be easier to just use the adaptor.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB  the smartcraft adapter is like $25. I probably will still try to find a new digital fuel sending unit (heard Mercury makes them) anyway. My current sender only shows 3/4 of a tank when in fact I know the tank is 100% full. My current sender is a 10 inch analog one with the standard 5 nuts on the top. If anyone knows of a digital replacement, it would be appreciated!
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    The way it was explained to me from mercury(Kim) was that the new cable harness plugs into an existing plug(he called it a "drop") off the main harness... The other end goes to the fuel tank sender. Basically you are plugging in your analog fuel sender into your SmartCraft brain which converts that analog information into the smartcraft data bus.... At least that is the way I interpreted it(which according to my wife I'm usually/always wrong!)... The cable cost me $25 and he told me that was all I would need. 
  • Options
    The way it was explained to me from mercury(Kim) was that the new cable harness plugs into an existing plug(he called it a "drop") off the main harness... The other end goes to the fuel tank sender. Basically you are plugging in your analog fuel sender into your SmartCraft brain which converts that analog information into the smartcraft data bus.... At least that is the way I interpreted it(which according to my wife I'm usually/always wrong!)... The cable cost me $25 and he told me that was all I would need. 
    That is the same message I was given. 
  • Options
    I talked to Kim as well and that is what he told me as well. Although I am still replacing my sender because I think its faulty. I just don't get the variation in stories from people saying they had to convert to a digital sender when they installed their VV lol. Guess you can do it either way maybe? 
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I never really rely on that gauge anyway and can't see the digital sender being that much more accurate. I currently have the Mercury Smartcraft Gateway installed and that gives me "dead-balls accurate" GPH and keeps track of it all through my Chartplotter. Keeps total fuel tank size and fuel remaining... Now I am removing the gateway(will be up for sale soon!!!) and upgrading to VV4, so I will have all that information displayed on the VV. not really sure why I purchased the $25 cable to link to fuel tank, but I did. Lol
  • Options
    Diggin2day1, that's exactly what I go by. I only look at my total fuel consumption between fills. The fuel gauge provides a false sense of security, I only have it working to keep my OCD in check. Otherwise, I know when it's time to fill up via my Smart Craft gas usage.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I tried making another thread but it hasn't posted and is waiting for approval.  So thought I would post in this thread as a follow up.  I will likely either look for a deal on a VV7 as I would think prices would drop with the launch of the new VV502 and 702, or go two VV4's.  The new VV502 is slick and I got to play with it at the Miami boat show.  Its has chartplotting capabilities similar to the old VV7 and new 702.  VV4 could not do this.  And its in a 5" touchscreen.  The layout is much better then the VV4 and it no longer has the stacked tach that the VV4 had, which I wasn't a fan of.  The guy in the Merc booth seemed to think it would be a couple hundred more than the VV4 and available in June.  I may go with a single 502 but I just can't wait until June as I hope to have my projects wrapped up by beginning of April.

Feb. 11, 2016

Mercury launches new VesselView502 and VesselView702 displays at the 2016 Miami International Boat Show

When Mercury Marine introduced its Vesselview onboard management system, it put real-time data on boat and engine performance at the operator’s fingertips. Now, Mercury is launching two new state-of-the-art VesselView multi-function displays, the VesselView502 and VesselView702, at the Miami International Boat Show, February 11-15*.

The new VesselView502 has a 5-inch widescreen display with 16x9 HD aspect ratio. Its multi-touch interface screen has no buttons (although users may opt for a remote display control interface with rotary dial and buttons). Data for up to four engines can be displayed onscreen. VesselView502 is capable of interfacing with broadband sonar with CHIRP, DownScan imaging, and a full-featured chart plotter (operators need to purchase detailed maps for their boating region). Equipped with a Micro SD card slot on the back of the unit, it comes with internal high-speed, 10 Hz GPS; Wi-Fi; Bluetooth, and it is GoFree cloud-enabled. 

The VesselView702 comes with a 7-inch widescreen display with 16x9 HD aspect ratio. Its multi-touch screen incorporates a keypad and rotary dial. Data from up to four engines can be displayed onscreen. The unit incorporates two video inputs and a Micro SD card slot. An Ethernet connection allows it to interface with radar, sonar and chart-sharing (one card, multiple devices). The VesselView702 also features internal GPS and a full-featured chart plotter (operators need to purchase detailed maps for their boating region). A GoFree WiFi module is included as part of the kit.

Both new VesselView multi-function displays are NMEA 2000-compatible and are capable of interfacing with AIS (Automatic Identification System), C-Zone digital switching and audio interfaces from Fusion Link or Sonic Hub. Free periodic software updates will be available via WiFi through the GoFree Store.

*Mercury VesselView 502 and VesselView702 will be released for sale in May 2016.

• Options
    Very interested to see the price points in the new Vessel View's for sure.